OnStar Launches "Remote Ignition Block"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OnStar Launches "Remote Ignition Block"

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

OnStar Launches "Remote Ignition Block"

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    OnStar already has anti-theft features like Stolen Vehicle Slowdown to fight back when your General Motors vehicle has been ripped off. Beefing up the arsenal, OnStar has a new trick: Remote Ignition Block. When an OnStar subscriber reports a vehicle stolen and authorities confirm, Remote Ignition Block uses GPS to ping the car and prevent it from starting.

The service will be available on two million cars, and the hope is that it will help you get your lifted Chevrolet Camaro back before it winds up on World's Wildest Police Chases. There's always the danger that a perp will trash the car anyway when it becomes unresponsive, but at least that's not as risky to innocent bystanders as a full-on pursuit. OnStar officials say they have seen good response to this latest new service. 97% of current subscribers surveyed apparently would like the new function, although it remains to be seen how many of those interested parties will convert into actual customers.
    Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Re: OnStar Launches "Remote Ignition Block"

PRESS RELEASE

OnStar Launches Industry-Exclusive Technology to Help with Safe and Quick Recovery of Stolen Vehicles

DETROIT (July 21, 2009) OnStar is expanding on its Stolen Vehicle Assistance services with the announcement of a new technology that will give law enforcement another critical tool to help safely and quickly recover subscribers stolen vehicles.

This new technology is called Remote Ignition Block and will allow an OnStar Advisor to send a remote signal to a subscriber's stolen vehicle to prevent the vehicle from restarting once the ignition is turned off. This capability will not only help authorities recover stolen vehicles, but can also prevent dangerous high speed pursuits from starting.

"Remote Ignition Block is a prime example of the rapid pace of technological innovation underway at OnStar. We are developing services desired by our subscribers that deliver important societal benefits as well," said Chet Huber, OnStar president.

Remote Ignition Block builds on OnStar's growing suite of Stolen Vehicle Assistance services which includes GPS technology that pinpoints a stolen vehicle's exact location and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown which can remotely slow a stolen vehicle to idle speed.

OnStar will make Remote Ignition Block available on select over 2M GM 2009 and 2010 model year vehicles in the U.S. and Canada.

The process for deployment:
    An OnStar subscriber reports their vehicle stolen to authorities and requests stolen vehicle assistance from OnStar.

Law enforcement provides confirmation to the OnStar Advisor that the vehicle is in fact stolen.
    The OnStar Advisor pinpoints the vehicle's exact GPS location and sends a remote signal to prevent stolen vehicle from starting the next time someone attempts to start it.

On select models, authorities can also request Stolen Vehicle Slowdown if they have a clear line of sight of the stolen vehicle and confirm that conditions are safe to slow down the vehicle.

"Technology like Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and now Remote Ignition Block will improve the chances of apprehending suspected car thieves and are great assets to the law enforcement community" said Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard. "Removing an instrument of harm from the hands of criminals improves the safety of our officers, our highways and our citizens" said Bouchard.

For more than 13 years, OnStar has helped authorities in locating tens of thousands of stolen vehicles in order to assist with their safe and quick recovery. OnStar receives approximately 600 Stolen Vehicle Assistance requests from subscribers each month and has helped in over 28,000 requests over the past decade.

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) Uniform Crime Reports, there were 1,095,769 vehicles stolen in the U.S. in 2007, equating to one motor vehicle stolen every 28.8 seconds. Stolen vehicle incidents can turn into dangerous high speed pursuits; at least 300 people die as a result of the more than 30,000 high speed police chases that happen every year. With capabilities such as Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and now Remote Ignition Block, OnStar subscribers have the added peace of mind knowing their vehicle can be prevented from being used as an instrument of harm. In fact, 97% of OnStar subscribers surveyed said they would like Remote Ignition Block capability on their vehicles.

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

97% of current subscribers surveyed apparently would like the new function, although it remains to be seen how many of those interested parties will convert into actual customers.
    How are "current subscribers" not "actual customers"? Am I reading that incorrectly?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 636 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    How are "current subscribers" not "actual customers"? Am I reading that incorrectly?
    Actual customers being customers who use it? It says it will be "available" they don't say if it will be part of the standard plan, or an extra cost plan...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

^Nah....I think the guys over at autoblog had a brain fart. The press release reads
    OnStar subscribers have the added peace of mind knowing their vehicle can be prevented from being used as an instrument of harm. In fact, 97% of OnStar subscribers surveyed said they would like Remote Ignition Block capability on their vehicles...

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Actual customers being customers who use it? It says it will be "available" they don't say if it will be part of the standard plan, or an extra cost plan...
    It's being added to the Stolen Vehicle Assistance service, which is part of Safe&Sound and Directions&Connections, so no extra cost.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Generous Motors's Avatar
    Thanks

Why did it take GM so long to add this feature? To me it is a no-brainer to make it so a thief can't restart a stolen car.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Generous Motors View Post
    Why did it take GM so long to add this feature? To me it is a no-brainer to make it so a thief can't restart a stolen car.
    Personally, I'd rather have an OnStar "remote start" option that uses the built-in cellular communications to turn on the existing remote start function.

If my car is in the parking garage next door and I'm getting ready to leave work on a cold Winter day, I could text page my OnStar-equipped car with my PIN. If the car wasn't already started, it would start using the self-starting function already in place for the key fob starter, which would shut off after 10 minutes if I didn't arrive sooner.

That way, I could start my car if I'm out of key fob range, like in a store, at work, etc.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have an OnStar "remote start" option that uses the built-in cellular communications to turn on the existing remote start function.

If my car is in the parking garage next door and I'm getting ready to leave work on a cold Winter day, I could text page my OnStar-equipped car with my PIN. If the car wasn't already started, it would start using the self-starting function already in place for the key fob starter, which would shut off after 10 minutes if I didn't arrive sooner.

That way, I could start my car if I'm out of key fob range, like in a store, at work, etc.
    Already filed several patents for something much more powerful and better than this! Should be out within a month or two and I think Equinox and SRX are getting it first

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Generous Motors View Post
    Three questions
    1) If the thief yanks the onstar module or the onstar fuse... What then?
    2) What if the Onstar system is on the fritz... Could this prevent me from starting my car? Have we just added another "point of failure" to my car's electrical system? and
    3) The telecom industry is now gettng reports that the phase out of the CDMA network will likely start in 2010 and be completed by 2015... Will we get upgraded Onstar modules this time? or will these cars all just fail to start when the current version of Onstar goes dark?

(actaully questions #1 and 3 are kinda retorical)
    The answers is that if Onstar is "dead" or "gone" the car will still start.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

Thanks

There is an added feature to this: Fall late with your payments and the Finance Company will disable your car; making the repossession much easier! That feature has been offered for the last 8 months by several "aftermarket sources" available to sub-prime Finance Companies!

BTW. the software upgrade is passive, it can be transmitted wirelessly!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    Three questions
    1) If the thief yanks the onstar module or the onstar fuse... What then?
    2) What if the Onstar system is on the fritz... Could this prevent me from starting my car? Have we just added another "point of failure" to my car's electrical system? and
    3) The telecom industry is now gettng reports that the phase out of the CDMA network will likely start in 2010 and be completed by 2015... Will we get upgraded Onstar modules this time? or will these cars all just fail to start when the current version of Onstar goes dark?

(actaully questions #1 and 3 are kinda retorical)
    The answers is that if Onstar is "dead" or "gone" the car will still start.
    1) The fuse won't do much anymore, most of the new cars have their own power source for OnStar now.
    2) Unless people at OnStar are bored and send out random pings to cars, which is against their policy, this will never happen.
    3) The engine is dependant on OnStar. All this system does is flip a switch on the starter. It would be rather stupid to add a delay each time you start the car and wait for your car to phone OnStar to see if it was disabled or not.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Already filed several patents for something much more powerful and better than this! Should be out within a month or two and I think Equinox and SRX are getting it first
    Come on, if you know something spill it.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Remote start via OnStar is already optional on the HD trucks with OnStar 8.1 hardware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Remote start via OnStar is already optional on the HD trucks with OnStar 8.1 hardware.
    I'm not talking about OnStar though. This new system is very nifty, the power it has is somewhat stunning.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information