Obama to launch broad push for electric vehicle batteries

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Obama to launch broad push for electric vehicle batteries

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Obama to launch broad push for electric vehicle batteries

BY JUSTIN HYDE
    FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama will use his trip to the site of a Michigan battery plant Thursday as a centerpiece of a larger campaign promoting the administration’s efforts in jump-starting U.S. electric vehicle production.

In addition to the appearance at the groundbreaking for the Holland factory set to open in 2012, several cabinet members and administration officials will visit other plants around the country this week, including a General Motors factory in Baltimore, according to White House officials.

And the U.S. Department of Energy will release a report later this week saying the push for U.S. production of electric and hybrid-vehicle batteries could dramatically lower their costs, with four plants expected to be running by the end of the year.

Talking about electric car batteries gives the Obama White House a two-for-one political benefit in an election year. With growing worries about a lackluster economy that has yet to generate enough demand to dent unemployment, Obama can tout high-tech jobs created by government stimulus. And he can also highlight electric vehicles as clean energy steps towards reducing U.S. oil demand in the wake of the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Obama has shunted more than $2 billion in grant money to advanced battery manufacturing to create a base for high-tech battery making in the United States. And he has called on the auto industry to sell one million plug-in hybrids or electric vehicles by 2015.

The Energy report will say that thanks to the stimulus spending, the cost of a battery pack for a vehicle with a 100-mile range could fall by half to $16,000 by 2013, declining to $10,000 by 2015. The act should also spur the installation of 20,000 electric vehicle charging stations by 2012.

Article link:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010071...icle-batteries

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Re: Obama to launch broad push for electric vehicle batteries

This time it is going to happen.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...pendent-future

No, seriously it'll happen. This time it'll happen. Volt, Leaf, Tesla and other electric cars will make it happen.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post

No, seriously it'll happen. This time it'll happen. Volt, Leaf, Tesla and other electric cars will make it happen.
    Stewart is a dufus. Colbert makes this guy look about as funny as a rock not in a hard place.

He does have a point though.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I find some of the new battery technologies being developed, like nano-carbon/silver, or that radical new paper battery, very exciting and promising.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I find some of the new battery technologies being developed, like nano-carbon/silver, or that radical new paper battery, very exciting and promising.
    Nano carbon/silver? Interesting. I haven't heard of that yet. You have a link or thread?
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

Thanks

I can't wait to see the other manufactures try to play catchup to GM.

Feels good for a change.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
    Nano carbon/silver? Interesting. I haven't heard of that yet. You have a link or thread?
    Let me check. I've subscribed to www.spacedaily.com for years and learned of it, and the paper battery, there. Awesome newsletter NOT just about space related topics.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post

What is amazing is that it happened not because of the govt, but because of the market, $4.00 + gas and that Lutz and Wagner decided to do something that would get us off gas in a big way, not the environment. This is all the private sector responding to a need. A capitalist economy that works look at Tesla. Yes a few dollars are govt, but the vast majority is private sector.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Obama has no credibility on any matter of business or industry. This agenda for electric vehicles and hybrids is not based on customer demand, but is a leftist wet dream. These vehicles will be unprofitable and will need to be subsidized by the tax payers in order for them to sell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stukesmd View Post
    Obama has no credibility on any matter of business or industry. This agenda for electric vehicles and hybrids is not based on customer demand, but is a leftist wet dream. These vehicles will be unprofitable and will need to be subsidized by the tax payers in order for them to sell.
    I can't help but wonder if similar sentiments were felt by folks with horse drawn carriages upon learning of the Model T.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I can't help but wonder if similar sentiments were felt by folks with horse drawn carriages upon learning of the Model T.
    No they didn't. The Model T created an industry on it's own merit. It wasn't mandated by government that people buy Model T's or gasoline powered vehicles for that matter.

Now which part of my original post is wrong?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

No they didn't. The Model T created an industry on it's own merit. It wasn't mandated by government that people buy Model T's or gasoline powered vehicles for that matter.

Now which part of my original post is wrong?
    And it is mandated that people buy Volts?
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

Banned
    Thanks

You speak for yourself ONLY.
    I'm a consumer and I want to buy a pure electric vehicle -- 100 mile range is all I need to commute to work.

I live in Florida -- one of the states that BP painted our beaches black with oil.... because this country is so pathetically reliant on oil. Now they think up to 180 million gallons of oil have been lost in this continuing leak.... Destoying the economy and the environment.

Screw that -- give me a pure electric already. I can convert my classic cars to ethanol or bio-diesel and tell BP to go jump in the water they just destroyed with their incompetence.
    Last edited by ColoradoZQ8; 07-13-2010 at 09:59 PM.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information