North American Diesel Vehicle Sales to Triple by 2016, Research Firm Says

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North American Diesel Vehicle Sales to Triple by 2016, Research Firm Says

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

August 31, 2010
    By Danny King
    Edmunds

North American diesel-vehicle unit sales will triple over the next six years as German automakers such as Volkswagen and BMW boost the number of so-called "clean diesel" cars they import to the U.S. in an effort to meet more stringent federal fuel-economy standards, according to research firm Frost & Sullivan.

Automakers will sell about 545,000 diesel-powered light vehicles to North America in 2016, up from 167,000 in 2009, Frost & Sullivan Research Analyst Hariher Balasubramanian said on a Webcast earlier today. VW will have about a third of the U.S. diesel market in 2016, up from about 26 percent last year, while BMW's diesel market share will jump to 14 percent from 4 percent.

German automakers are already making progress eliminating some of the negative stereotypes held by American consumers, many of whom associate diesel with the slower, louder, smokier diesels of the 1970s and 80s.

Sales of more powerful, quieter diesels in North America tripled in 2009, and, in December, Audi's clean-diesel A3 TDI hatchback (pictured), which gets an EPA-rated 42 miles per gallon on the highway, was named the 2010 Green Car of the Year by Green Car Journal magazine at the Los Angeles International Auto Show.

VW appears to be leading the way. Diesels accounted for about half of the Jettas and about a third of the Touaregs VW sold in the U.S. last year.

Additionally, automakers view diesel as a way to help meet federal fuel-economy standards, which will require a U.S. fleetwide average of 35.5 miles per gallon in 2016.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: North American Diesel Vehicle Sales to Triple by 2016, Research Firm Says

I suppose a good punchline to the article would be that by 2017, Diesels will again disappear from the US market as the EPA initiates its next round of anti-Diesel emissions regulations.

The only negative Diesel sterotype with American consumers is that they are here today/gone tomorrow according to the whims of our government regulatiors.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Infiniti G35x

In other news, Diesel prices are set to rise 40% in the same time period...
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire GT, Steel Blue Metallic - rolled over a snowbank at 66,000km
    2002 Chevy Malibu, Silver - 182,000km - SOLD - Busted transmission
    2000 Chevy Impala LS, Black - 162,000km - SOLD - Busted transmission
    2007 Infiniti G35x, Lakeshore Slate - 170,000km

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love to see every other car be a diesel. But this govt. says no.

A hybrid makes absolutely no sense for the kind of driving people do in my area. And that's BEFORE the reprogram.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Bring 2.0 VCDi Diesel Orlando to Canada and I will certainly help with this statistic.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

Supposedly Mazda's bringing a diesel to the U.S. market in 2012, and claims it's emissions-compliant through 2020. Also...43 mpg highway and 310 lb./ft. of torque.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Double of nothing is still nothing. But the government will never support full diesels.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

yay my TDI gets 61 MPG... and about 43 MPG if I average 80 MPH
    L.G. Fuad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Bring 2.0 VCDi Diesel Orlando to Canada and I will certainly help with this statistic.

+1 to this. Diesel Orlando for me, and I will be smiling from ear to ear.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    +1 to this. Diesel Orlando for me, and I will be smiling from ear to ear.
    Here are the cars I'd like to see:

2.0 diesel Orlando
    2.9l diesel Lambdas
    2.0l diesel Cruze (could be a smaller diesel, but I'm not exactly sure what GM has in Europe)
    2.0l diesel ATS
    2.0l diesel Regal GS

All of those would make the shopping list for my next car or my wife's next car. In fact, if those engines were offered as $2000 upgrades from the comparable gas engines, then I can guarantee GM two sales in the next 3 years +/-.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

I'd take a diesel Orlando as well.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

One small problem. Oil refineries in the US are not set up to produce as much diesel like the refineries in the rest of the world. If demand for oil burners increases than the price at the pump will also increase. Why would the oil companies spend the money to change their refineries?
    Last edited by Canuck; 09-01-2010 at 01:31 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,289 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

diesel 300C FTW
    + Second on Orlando diesel and Equinox

Thanks

They would triple tomorrow if anyone sold them here. Only VW gets it. A good chunk of their customers check off the diesel option.

A 1.4 liter diesel in the Cobalt, or a 2L in the Malibu. They cost a bit more, but are so much better suited to most peoples driving, which is mostly on the low end of the tach.

Too many people still hold the bad clackity smelly image of diesel cars, which is to be expected when nobody sells anything to prove them wrong.

People would buy them up like candy if they were easier to find. The only company smart enough to sell them, puts them in such horrible cars.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    One small problem. Oil refineries in the US are not set up to produce as much diesel like the refineries in the rest of the world. If demand for oil burners increases than the price at the pump will also increase. Why would the oil companies spend the money to change their refineries?
    Everything costs more when it is popular, but if it were priced equal to gas, the extra economy and driveability would still persuade many drivers.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information