New Technique creates cheap, abundant Hydrogen

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Technique creates cheap, abundant Hydrogen

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

New Technique creates cheap, abundant Hydrogen

CHICAGO (AFP) - US researchers have developed a method of producing hydrogen gas from biodegradable organic material, potentially providing an abundant source of this clean-burning fuel, according to a study released Monday.

The technology offers a way to cheaply and efficiently generate hydrogen gas from readily available and renewable biomass such as cellulose or glucose, and could be used for powering vehicles, making fertilizer and treating drinking water.

The method used by engineers at Pennsylvania State University however combines electron-generating bacteria and a small electrical charge in a microbial fuel cell to produce hydrogen gas.

Microbial fuel cells work through the action of bacteria which can pass electrons to an anode. The electrons flow from the anode through a wire to the cathode producing an electric current. In the process, the bacteria consume organic matter in the biomass material.

An external jolt of electricity helps generate hydrogen gas at the cathode.
    In the past, the process, which is known as electrohydrogenesis, has had poor efficiency rates and low hydrogen yields.

But the researchers at Pennsylvania State University were able to get around these problems by chemically modifying elements of the reactor.

In laboratory experiments, their reactor generated hydrogen gas at nearly 99 percent of the theoretical maximum yield using aetic acid, a common dead-end product of glucose fermentation.

"This process produces 288 percent more energy in hydrogen than the electrical energy that is added in the process," said Bruce Logan, a professor of environmental engineering at Penn State.

The technology is economically viable now, which gives hydrogen an edge over another alternative biofuel which is grabbing more headlines, Logan said.

"The energy focus is currently on ethanol as a fuel, but economical ethanol from cellulose is 10 years down the road," said Logan.

One of the immediate applications for this technology is to supply the hydrogen that is used in fuel cell cars to generate the electricity that drives the motor, but it could also can be used to convert wood chips into hydrogen to be used as fertilizer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071112.../ussciencefuel

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New Technique creates cheap, abundant Hydrogen

It's amazing how innovative we become when gas hits $3

Problem is...now that there are so many alternatives...which one will be the right one? I think GM is making a good, conservative decision in just investing in a myriad of potentially great options.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

I think Hydrogen is where its at...I will skip the Hybrid phase and what for something better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Someone needs to make a Fuel Cell Vehicle that runs on hydrogen gas with a backup plug-in Lithium Ion Flex-Fuel (gas, E-85, bio-diesel) hybrid system. Oh, with a solar panel on the roof.

That way, all environmental solution bases are covered.

This is all futile, anyway. The next big thing is fusion nuclear power. Seeing how early GM is advertising the Volt, I suspect we'll see their first "Mr. Fusion" ads sometime around Christmas.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ScottyFLM's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu_SS View Post

Problem is...now that there are so many alternatives...which one will be the right one? I think GM is making a good, conservative decision in just investing in a myriad of potentially great options.

By the sounds of it, and if all this is fact, I believe this new process is the one
    Dr. Rockzo says, "I'm Dr. Rockzo, the Rock'n'Roll Clown!!! I do Cocaine!!!"

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu_SS View Post

Agreed.

I think that biofuels are a short term solution to our current energy problems. Hydrogen and/or/combination Electric cars will be the long term future (which isn't as far away as most people think).

Hydrogen is one of the most abundant elements on earth. It's only a matter of time before a series of economical means of extracting and storing hydrogen become available. We just need the motivation and thankfully high gas prices are giving us that motivation.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,429 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    This is all futile, anyway. The next big thing is fusion nuclear power. Seeing how early GM is advertising the Volt, I suspect we'll see their first "Mr. Fusion" ads sometime around Christmas.
    So, according to Robert Zemekis, we will have flying "hovercars" (or conversions) in less than 7 years.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MrMax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCCA1995 View Post
    So, according to Robert Zemekis, we will have flying "hovercars" (or conversions) in less than 7 years.
    And we'll be driving Ford Probes with bodykits.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCCA1995 View Post
    And unfortunately they will all be DeLoreans

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

CHICAGO (AFP) - US researchers have developed a method of producing hydrogen gas from biodegradable organic material, potentially providing an abundant source of this clean-burning fuel, according to a study released Monday.

The technology offers a way to cheaply and efficiently generate hydrogen gas from readily available and renewable biomass such as cellulose or glucose, and could be used for powering vehicles, making fertilizer and treating drinking water.

The method used by engineers at Pennsylvania State University however combines electron-generating bacteria and a small electrical charge in a microbial fuel cell to produce hydrogen gas.

Microbial fuel cells work through the action of bacteria which can pass electrons to an anode. The electrons flow from the anode through a wire to the cathode producing an electric current. In the process, the bacteria consume organic matter in the biomass material.

An external jolt of electricity helps generate hydrogen gas at the cathode.
    In the past, the process, which is known as electrohydrogenesis, has had poor efficiency rates and low hydrogen yields.

But the researchers at Pennsylvania State University were able to get around these problems by chemically modifying elements of the reactor.

In laboratory experiments, their reactor generated hydrogen gas at nearly 99 percent of the theoretical maximum yield using aetic acid, a common dead-end product of glucose fermentation.

"This process produces 288 percent more energy in hydrogen than the electrical energy that is added in the process," said Bruce Logan, a professor of environmental engineering at Penn State.

The technology is economically viable now, which gives hydrogen an edge over another alternative biofuel which is grabbing more headlines, Logan said.

"The energy focus is currently on ethanol as a fuel, but economical ethanol from cellulose is 10 years down the road," said Logan.

One of the immediate applications for this technology is to supply the hydrogen that is used in fuel cell cars to generate the electricity that drives the motor, but it could also can be used to convert wood chips into hydrogen to be used as fertilizer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071112.../ussciencefuel
    Great news! Thanks for posting that.....cool that biology can once again create a new earth-friendly technology. I hope this encourages GM to NOT drop the ball with their amazing "skateboard" fuel cell auto platform that could leave their competitors in the dust.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrMax View Post
    And we'll be driving Ford Probes with bodykits.

Don't forget the two Edsels that appeared. The 1958 model in the ad in the upper right and the 1959 model on the street to the left

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,971 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Great post. I'm glad to see such advancements taking place. And it's actually economically viable too! That's the best part of it.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I heard they discovered this quite accidentally while studying another intriguingly renewable dead-end biomass... Joe Pa's hair.

It does sound encouraging... they will need to prove this on a large scale before the investments will come.
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't forget the two Edsels that appeared. The 1958 model in the ad in the upper right and the 1959 model on the street to the left

Wow I did not realize/remember that my beloved Pontiac Pursuit concept car appeared in it...to this day I think it is one of THE coolest concept cars ever.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

The future looks bright!!!
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News