New study: 20% ethanol does not harm current vehicles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New study: 20% ethanol does not harm current vehicles

Thanks

New study: 20% ethanol does not harm current vehicles

Minnesota Study Finds E20 Passes Materials Compatibility and Driving Performance Tests
    5 March 2008
    Increasing the amount of ethanol blended into gasoline from 10% (E10) to 20% (E20) does not present problems for materials used in current vehicles or fuel dispensing equipment and provides similar power and performance, according to a new study released Wednesday by the State of Minnesota.

This initial scoping study for E20 consists of three main areas of investigation: materials compatibility, drivability, and emissions. The emission testing is still ongoing and the results will be released as soon as the testing is complete.
    Key findings of the report include:

The effects of 20% ethanol blended fuels do not present problems for current automotive or fuel dispensing equipment.

The drivability study showed that E20 provided similar power and performance to E10 ethanol blended fuel throughout the entire calendar year, which included a broad range of ambient weather conditions.

Based on the materials compatibility and drivability testing results of this scoping report, there are no issues that would prevent moving forward with the comprehensive testing required to certify E20 as a federally approved motor fuel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New study: 20% ethanol does not harm current vehicles

This is great news. I think its more practical to ease into E85, than it is to just dump it onto consumers. Heck if you started with all gasoline being E5, then moving to E10,E15, and E20. I don't think most people would pay enough attention to realize the sticker on the pump indicating the ethanol content.

Once we reached, or expected to reach, a level of ethanol that could not run in a standard ICE, manufacturers would be expected/required to make all of their new engines compatible with higher percentages of ethanol. This would also allow engine builders to design the engines for ethanol, thus making them more efficient.

I know I'm not taking into account a ton of different variables, but I like my pipe dreams just the way they are.
    Last edited by jkennedy293; 03-05-2008 at 03:33 PM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

I don't like this for 2 reasons.

#1 With the exception of 1 study I read, all other evidence points to getting lower fuel economy with the more ethanol that is used in gasoline.

#2 The study comes from the state of Minnesota...I'm guessing a midwestern state with a lot of corn that has something to gain by pushing ethanol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Dave B's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post

#1 With the exception of 1 study I read, all other evidence points to getting lower fuel economy with the more ethanol that is used in gasoline.

#2 The study comes from the state of Minnesota...I'm guessing a midwestern state with a lot of corn that has something to gain by pushing ethanol.
    You took the thoughts right out of my head.......
    ------------------------------
    07 Impala 3.5L VVT ..ONSTAR ROCKS... (GF's car)
    99 Cutlass 3.1L
    94 GMC Jimmy
    Many GM Vehicles Over The Years
    Some MOPAR stuff with Mods...Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC chrisbenz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Audi A6 3.0

I reminber reading that 20% was too high. However, I reminber reading that 15% could work. One of the big oil co was working on 15%.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I have an awesome idea.........

instead of that 35MPG law if I were President I would banish it and instead force all gas to be first E10 then in 2-3 years go to E20.

Thanks

I don't think there is a straight decline in mileage as ethanol increases. I am pretty sure that the drop in mileage is pretty minimal going from 10% to 20%.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd rather get lower fuel economy by supporting Minnesota corn growers than hand my money over to the oil companies and the Middle East. Besides, I bet a lot of your "other evidence" comes from less than squeaky clean sources (Big Oil).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

1. My own experience in two vehicles using E10/15 over four or five tanks indicates a consistent 10% drop in MPG. One of them had vastly reduced power, to the point it couldn't pull 60 MPH on some hills.

2. I'm guessing you're correct. I would suspect this study, like many published reports these days, has its own agenda and that agenda = +$$+.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 TheGeneral's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I run E10 in my mazda3 and I have a hard time getting 32mpg in 50/50 driving.
    2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ
    2007 Mazda3 I Touring

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC gotz_otto's Avatar
    Thanks

I Have a blazer and Have gotten nearly 24 MPG on a trip driving 80 mph on 94, not a problem running E10 when it comes to power and fuel economy. I have never had problems with hill or fuel economy. Maybe you should buy a car with more torque to get up a hill.

I am excited to use E20 vs. E10. If you think about it you will be saving more octane, but burning more corn which can be grown and replaced.
    [B][FONT=Optima][COLOR=gray] Gotz_Otto

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Key findings of the report include:

The effects of 20% ethanol blended fuels do not present problems for current automotive or fuel dispensing equipment.
    What about everything else I use gas in? Boats, ATV's, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, etc... are they going to make sure it doesn't harm them too?
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tholland View Post
    What about everything else I use gas in? Boats, ATV's, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, etc... are they going to make sure it doesn't harm them too?
    No need to. Just make sure to buy your fuel for your boat and ATV at a Caliphate Gas Station: 100% gasoline, guaranteed, and explosive performance too!
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 03-06-2008 at 07:23 AM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

I remember reading another study showing that most vehicles could acutally jump to 30%-40% with no harm and acutally not loose fuel economy. I've ran E85 in our work cars. The differance is actually small. If you are loosing power on E10, you have bigger problems than running E10..... I saw about a 2-3 mpg decrease and the cost was about 30cents cheaper per gallon. It was a good wash IMO.

I'm all for it.
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 nascarnate326's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronald mcretard View Post
    I'd rather get lower fuel economy by supporting Minnesota corn growers than hand my money over to the oil companies and the Middle East. Besides, I bet a lot of your "other evidence" comes from less than squeaky clean sources (Big Oil).

Exactly. Im not so bad off that 10% worse fuel economy will screw me. Most people could make that up if they changed their air filter, fuel filter and put air in their tires, let alone changed daily driving habits.

I just hope high octane fuel stays as corn free as possible. I dont think my bike would like a change in its diet, and neither would I.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information