New battery tech holds 10 times more charge

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New battery tech holds 10 times more charge

Thanks

New battery tech holds 10 times more charge

Stanford researchers have found a way to use silicon nanowires to reinvent the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that power laptops, iPods, video cameras, cell phones, and countless other devices.
    The greatly expanded storage capacity could make Li-ion batteries attractive to electric car manufacturers.
    "Given the mature infrastructure behind silicon, this new technology can be pushed to real life quickly," Cui said.
    http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...re-010908.html

Did we say 40 miles before the Volt's ICE kicks in? How about 400? I just hope this is compatible with whatever cutting-edge tech is in the Volt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New battery tech holds 10 times more charge

Quote Originally Posted by switzner View Post
    http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...re-010908.html

Did we say 40 miles before the Volt's ICE kicks in? How about 400? I just hope this is compatible with whatever cutting-edge tech is in the Volt.
    Or a battery pack one tenth the size... and cost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    That's a good call. Or a mix between the two...cheaper, smaller, lighter, 3-4 times the range.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a good call. Or a mix between the two...cheaper, smaller, lighter, 3-4 times the range.

You are absolutely right! I hope GM jumps on this in association with their battery manufacturers to a least investigate this new technology. If it works they need to get it in the development pipeline for Volt as soon as possible.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Article did not address build cost. Anyone have an educated guess on cost to produce these things?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang View Post
    Article did not address build cost. Anyone have an educated guess on cost to produce these things?
    Just from reading the article, it appears that the process and materials should not be problematic. Hopefully that will keep costs down. I don't know enough about battery technology to really answer your question.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang View Post
    Great point, I hope the fact that they mentioned personal electronics means that it's not terribly expensive compared to current batteries.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post

This is more in line with GMs thinking. The battery is used as the primary source of power and the gas engine kicks in for long range trips. Shaving off some weight and gaining 3-4 times the range and possibly more as less weight should hopefully increase range a bit as well.

A battery range of 120-160 miles is likely to give more than 50% of the population the ability to go 75-100% of their weekly driving on battery alone. I know if i did it right the Volt's 40 mile range would cover almost all commuting and one or two side trips for groceries etc.

I am averaging 185 miles per week in my 9-3 over the 16 months I have had it.
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbernie View Post
    This is more in line with GMs thinking. The battery is used as the primary source of power and the gas engine kicks in for long range trips. Shaving off some weight and gaining 3-4 times the range and possibly more as less weight should hopefully increase range a bit as well.

A battery range of 120-160 miles is likely to give more than 50% of the population the ability to go 75-100% of their weekly driving on battery alone. I know if i did it right the Volt's 40 mile range would cover almost all commuting and one or two side trips for groceries etc.

I am averaging 185 miles per week in my 9-3 over the 16 months I have had it.
    Of course, the ideal answer is to let the consumer decide. I personally rarely drive more than 40 miles in a day and have no problem plugging my car in every night. I would go for the cheap/light battery pack. If other people have different needs or desires, GM should offer an option to pay more and get more batteries.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Battery technology will continually improve which is great for consumers. I could see the day where you have an option just like any other options on batteries. You could buy Volt in the future that will go 40 miles on the battery per charge which will be plenty for most people. Those people that have a longer comute or want a longer range can buck up for more battery power as an option. This would keep the cost down for the people that don't have a long commute and will make a longer all battery commute possible in the future. Or possibly an all electric car without the added complexities of a hybrid powertrain.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Just from reading the article, it appears that the process and materials should not be problematic. Hopefully that will keep costs down. I don't know enough about battery technology to really answer your question.
    One thing not mentioned is how long it takes to grow the nanosilicon wires. It is a time consuming process - meaning months, to get the equivalent of 10mm.

I'd predict the batteries they produce will be small, consumer device oriented at first - not immediately applicable to automobiles, unless they are stacked together by the thousands, such as what Tesla Motors does.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 730 Posts

This does sound fantastic, but the cost issue was not addressed. Theoretical scientists are like that. They make great "theoretical" discoveries, but not neccessarily cost effective ones.

"Eureka! I've discovered how to transform lead into gold!"

"Too bad it costs more than the Gross National Product to do it."

I hope that this is cost-worthy. But even at 5 times the price, for example, you'd still be doubling it's potential (on a cost basis). The Volt and it's e-flex system are fantastic with current tech. Add in this Nano-Li-ion stuff and you're golden!
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly you just do a nuclear reaction of lead

The main issue here is we often see "amazing revolution" stories of batteries and things but then there is some side-effect, like it freezes and is irreperably damaged when it gets below 40 *F

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I've been in the electrical engineering business for over 20 years. The two areas that seem to make agonizingly slow progress are batteries and displays. There always seems to be a new technology that promises amazing breakthroughs "just around the corner".

That being said, the silicon nano-wire battery is interesting, I'm glad it was posted.

Thanks

Gm should deffinately jump on this. But why do I feel like Toyota will get first crack?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information