Naias: 150 Mpg Suv

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Naias: 150 Mpg Suv

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Naias: 150 Mpg Suv

This was at the NAIAS.

Check out this new tech. As you can see in the pic at the link they built it out of a GM SUV too.

According to Furia, the Extreme Hybrid(TM) tests just completed at Michelin’s Laurens Proving Grounds in South Carolina produced …
    More than 150 miles per gallon of gasoline based on the EPA Combined Urban/Highway Driving Cycle with 6 days per week of 40 miles per day in all electric mode and one day at 100 miles with assistance of the gas engine. Different driving patterns will produce different results.
    40 mile all-electric range on a single, overnight charge.
    Extended range of 400 miles with hybrid operation.
    Rapid acceleration in all modes of operation, including all electric mode in which no gasoline is burned at all.
    Highway speeds up to 87 miles per hour in either all electric or hybrid mode.
    Even faster acceleration and higher speeds possible in future production models should the company decide to configure them for such performance.

Keep in mind that these results were not in a small two-seater, but in a medium-size family SUV designed to support a serious supermarket run or a family’s weekend recreational activities,” Furia said.
    Link
    Last edited by hrcslam; 01-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Re: Naias: 150 Mpg Suv

Very Intresting. It's just like E-Flex except they use ultra capacitors to buffer between the Li-Ion battery and the electric motors. It's a good Idea. They claim that by using ultra capacitors you don't have to worry about deep discharging of the battery and therefore get away with a smaller battery. The battery is used to charge the ultra capacitors at a constat rate which also extends battery life.

But with technology like this available any company could swoop in and compete with GM's E-Flex.

http://www.afstrinity.com/xh.htm

See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar prototype66's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    White 2011 Dodge RAM

see now if I could buy a retro fit conversion for my Venture I would jump on it like a trained mule. Sign me up for one for my 85 eldo too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Very Intresting. It's just like E-Flex except they use ultra capacitors to buffer between the Li-Ion battery and the electric motors. It's a good Idea. They claim that by using ultra capacitors you don't have to worry about deep discharging of the battery and therefore get away with a smaller battery. The battery is used to charge the ultra capacitors at a constat rate which also extends battery life.

But with technology like this available any company could swoop in and compete with GM's E-Flex.

http://www.afstrinity.com/xh.htm

Yeah, but imagine if GM bought it? Then used it in the 2-Modes and E-flex? Then it would be like BAM! No competition!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. What's the down side of this? Cost? Almost seems to good to be true...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jive View Post
    I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. What's the down side of this? Cost? Almost seems to good to be true...
    The have already priced the powertrain. They claim that the added components would cost $8K. That is not a bad premium. A person like me would easily recoup that cost in a few years.

If you check out their website (my post #2) they have some charts with some cost comparisons on their site.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

Thanks

VUEria? Furia is an awful name, their marketing executive was fired by Buick some years before :/

Anyhoo, GM should buy them out or just contract them out, even if this is useless and/or will never work. It should be reasonably cheap and suddenly make GM much more green. They could flog it to death just like Toyota does with the Prius (well, the Prius actually exists, but this is a GM SUV).

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jcgable's Avatar
    Thanks

If they truly can keep the cost down (I am skeptical), then GM needs to buy this yesterday.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I may as well axe that patent idea!! Some things seem so obvious they shouldn't be patent worthy! This is one of them. Pretty sure I thought of this soon after first learning of the whole hybrid idea back in the mid 90's. Oh well. Hopefully the patent holders won't hold the idea back too much or demand too much for licensing.

Thanks

How about GM, Exxon, or Saudi Arabia - or all three, will buy it and BURY IT. Its happened in the past. During the last oil crisis, detroit had a car capable of 50+mpg ready to launch. Saudi Arabia/OPEC felt a car like that would obviously decrease demand for their oil. It was cancelled.

So many of these types of promises have been made I wouldn't believe anything until I could touch it, drive it and but it.

What we need is someone to pick a common vehicle, like a F150 or whatever. What car doesn't matter, and sell a retrofit kit which would do what this does. Its going to take people who are fed up and tinkering in there garages to spread ideas like this. Big corporations have too much to lose otherwise.

Thanks

I wonder if the capacitors are anything like the ones used in car audio? I like it except for the use of electricity. Electricity will just become the new oil, instead of high gas prices we'll see high electricity prices. Thus the reason big oil companies are now heavily invested in "other" energy markets like,you guessed it, electricity!

If our government were serious about reducing our dependency on oil they would invest in this like it was the space race all over again. Screw CAFE, force a real percentage of new cars sold to be these kinds of hybrids. Let all compaines have equal access to the patents, etc. Just as the gas engine is common to all vehicles, so too would this tech ensuring no one company has an advantage and everyone could profit and survive.

We can force companies to build HD TVs, but not 150mpg cars? Has anyone heard the TV manufacturers bitching they can't do it, etc. like detroit complains about CAFE?
    Last edited by bigtime; 01-16-2008 at 07:19 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

150 mpg Vue Green Line

Full Link here: http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...115_145106.htm

Quote Originally Posted by www.businessweek.com
    The company's patent-pending Extreme Hybrid (XH) technology employs a proprietary dual energy storage system that combines Lithium-Ion batteries and ultra capacitors with control electronics. In just completed road tests, a 2007 Saturn VUE Green Line SUV fitted with an XH drive train, exceeded 150 mpg, and improved the zero to sixty time from 12.5 seconds, to 11.6 second running in electric-only mode -- something it can do for 40 miles at a stretch. The punchline is that in hybrid mode, it runs 0-60 mph in 6.9 seconds, which is faster than a Porsche Cayenne. Whatsmore, based on driving 340 miles a week, the company's consumer payback analysis suggests the technology will pay for itself in less than four years -- this appears to be the first economically viable, commercially-available hybrid auto technology.

Thanks

Re: 150 mpg Vue Green Line

It'd be nice if there was some detail of their plan to get this into consumer hands.

...According to Furia, the next step for AFS Trinity is to license its breakthrough technology to carmakers who want to incorporate the XH drive train into their vehicles. "That would be our preference," said Furia...
    I wonder what the odds are that they'd get through the 'not invented here' barrier. My guess is not likely.

..."However," he continued, "If carmakers decide not to take advantage of this offer, AFS Trinity intends to raise the funds to begin modifying existing hybrids or manufacture its own 150 mpg SUV's and, eventually, 250 mpg sedans. We believe such production models could be available for sale in three years."...
    The bolded is the only way I see this happening realistically.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information