Myers Motors says it will sell two-seat electric DuO for about $25,000 next year

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myers Motors says it will sell two-seat electric DuO for about $25,000 next year

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Myers Motors says it will sell two-seat electric DuO for about $25,000 next year

Published: Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 11:18 AM
    Robert Schoenberger, The Plain Dealer

TALLMADGE, Ohio -- Electric car manufacturer Myers Motors hit its target for pre-orders of its upcoming DuO two-seat vehicle, but the company has delayed production until next year.

Last year, Myers announced plans to sell the DuO (doesn't use oil) for $30,000 but said it would knock $1,000 off the price for every 200 orders and $250 deposit it received.

On the company's Web site, the automaker said it hit that target, and the DuO will sell for $24,995 or within $1,000 of that figure. That's before a 10 percent federal tax credit for electric vehicles.

But plans to start producing the cars this summer apparently fell through.

The company blamed engineering changes on the car that should make it less expensive to build. Production is now scheduled for the first quarter of next year. That will put the DuO on the road after more mainstream electric offerings such as the Chevrolet Volt plug-in and the Nissan Leaf electric car.

Myers continues to sell its single-seat electric car, the NmG (no more gas) while it prepares to release the DuO. Company founder Dana Myers has said the DuO should be less expensive and more functional than the NmG because he's spent the past few years designing the vehicle to make it affordable to produce.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...l_two-sea.html

http://www.myersmotors.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '72 LT1/T56 Vega

Re: Myers Motors says it will sell two-seat electric DuO for about $25,000 next year

I think the DuO actually looks pretty good. Kudos to them for bringing to market something niche. Who knows, they may really catch on. Nice thing about them is they have three wheels which means I think you only need a motorcycle license. That makes them cheap to insure, too!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Rocket 88 Hidden Content
    Well isn't that special, Mr. I love the Axis.
    According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, Alberta's oil sand deposits contain approximately 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen, of which over 175 billion are recoverable with current technology, and 315 billion barrels are utimately recoverable with technological advances. The Athasbasca Oil Sands Deposit is, by itself, the largest petroleum resource in the world. - Hidden Content - viewed 10-17-2007

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Re: Myers Motors says it will sell two-seat electric DuO for about $25,000 next year

A two seat commuter on three wheels should go for a hell of a lot less than 25 or 30k.
    Pass.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '72 LT1/T56 Vega

Mustapha,
    I think you should stick it to the greenies. If they want to pay that, go for it. They've been sticking it to everyone else for a couple of decades now. :P
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Rocket 88 Hidden Content
    Well isn't that special, Mr. I love the Axis.
    According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, Alberta's oil sand deposits contain approximately 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen, of which over 175 billion are recoverable with current technology, and 315 billion barrels are utimately recoverable with technological advances. The Athasbasca Oil Sands Deposit is, by itself, the largest petroleum resource in the world. - Hidden Content - viewed 10-17-2007

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by ColinOpseth View Post
    Nice thing about them is they have three wheels which means I think you only need a motorcycle license. That makes them cheap to insure, too!
    Can you even get a motorcycle-only license? I didn't know that three-wheeled vehicles were in that sort of limbo. You don't need a motorcycle license for anything with three wheels, so it doesn't make sense to get a motorcycle-only license for something that you clearly drive and don't ride.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I've seen nothing about this vehicle's range, top speed, handling characteristics, interior room, etc. I know there are loads of people that aren't concerned about those things, but I am. I hope it's competitive, because right now the Volt looks like a steal next to it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Can you even get a motorcycle-only license? I didn't know that three-wheeled vehicles were in that sort of limbo. You don't need a motorcycle license for anything with three wheels, so it doesn't make sense to get a motorcycle-only license for something that you clearly drive and don't ride.
    Varies by state. Maryland requires a motorcycle license for a 3-wheeler but you can ride the HOV lane.

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I've seen nothing about this vehicle's range, top speed, handling characteristics, interior room, etc. I know there are loads of people that aren't concerned about those things, but I am. I hope it's competitive, because right now the Volt looks like a steal next to it.
    60 miles on the single seater, 60 on the standard two seater. They offer "extended" (100) mile range on the two seater. It doesn't say whether that's effective range or 100%->0%.

And yeah, the Volt will offer much over it for a similar price.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC buildacariwant's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    TOWN CAR WRX EXPLORER V8

FAIL
    gone but not forgetten: 77 grand prix, 70 buick estate wagon, 90 eldorado, 07 si sedan

no manual = not on the shopping list...Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    Varies by state. Maryland requires a motorcycle license for a 3-wheeler but you can ride the HOV lane.
    Gotcha. In California you don't need a motorcycle license for a 3-wheeler, which is something this state actually got right. Riding a motorcycle and driving a three-wheeled car are nothing alike.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Hunid Racks's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like the Corbin has been resurrected.

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/06/02...0-mpg-vehicle/
    Last edited by Hunid Racks; 07-06-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

Actually Maryland will let you take the required MC safety course on a 3 wheeler as well.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Judging by appearance, I thought it was something that came from Honda. Fugly and completely uninspiring.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Hunid Racks View Post
    Looks like the Corbin has been resurrected.

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/06/02...0-mpg-vehicle/
    It's basically an updated Corbin made larger and swoopier. This thing looks in between the Corbin Sparrow and the Can-Am spyder with bodywork to me. Way to expensive for what you get.

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/?utm_sou...pyder_roadster
    Last edited by big swede; 07-06-2010 at 09:55 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buildacariwant View Post
    FAIL
    Indeed, it's bad. However this thing will forever haunt my nightmares:

It's just that bad, made by the same company btw.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 White

no thanks i dont want to get hit by a SUV

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information