Is the Move to Hybrids Hyped?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Is the Move to Hybrids Hyped?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

NY Times
    October 29, 2010
    By John Collins Rudolf

How popular will electric and hybrid cars be in 10 years? Depends on whom you ask.

According to a new report by J.D. Power & Associates, the auto industry analysis firm, the sales potential of electric and hybrid vehicles is “over-hyped” and “more hope than reality.” Globally, electric and hybrid vehicles will make up little more than 7 percent of all passenger-vehicle sales by 2020, the firm estimates.

This year, just 2.2 percent of the more than 44 million vehicles expected to be sold globally will employ some kind of battery propulsion system.

Other industry forecasts are far more optimistic. A 2009 report by the Boston Consulting Group, for instance, estimated that electric and hybrid passenger vehicles, together with those powered by compressed natural gas, could constitute 28 percent of the market.

This more bullish outlook is shared by other industry analysts as well as by automakers like Nissan and General Motors, which have poured millions of dollars into developing gas-electric hybrids like the Chevy Volt and all-electric cars like the Nissan Leaf.

Yet consumer research shows that many potential buyers are not ready to make the leap, J.D. Power said. Concerns include the cars’ reliability, power and performance, and how far all-electric models can travel on a single charge — so-called “range anxiety.”

The significant price premium for electric and hybrid vehicles is another major sticking point despite the long-term savings consumers can expect from buying less gasoline.

“Consumers will ultimately decide whether these vehicles are commercially successful or not,” John Humphrey, senior vice president of automotive operations at J.D. Power, said in a statement. “Based on our research of consumer attitudes toward these technologies — and barring significant changes to public policy, including tax incentives and higher fuel economy standards — we don’t anticipate a mass migration to green vehicles in the coming decade.”

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Is the Move to Hybrids Hyped?

Well of course it is.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,000 Times in 4,803 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Hype. Making a complex machine far more complex (= more repair issues in 5+ years) for limited benefits.

Not K-mart smart.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Of coarse Hybrids are hyped. But no more than another product. It's called marketing.

If you look at hybrid commercials they make it look like car companies are trying to save the planet. Truth is Hybrids are a small step in the right direction to energy independence and environmental sustainability. The Voltec is a much larger step but still not the ultimate end solution (but I believe has to potential to get us there). Technology is getting there but not there yet.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Do hybrids get better fuel economy than cars of the same size with conventional internal combustion engines? Genuine question here.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Do hybrids get better fuel economy than cars of the same size with conventional internal combustion engines? Genuine question here.
    That's rather vague, since there are many types of hybrids. But I can sight the real-world data of Prius as a rock-solid: Yes.

27 MPG combined (22city/35hwy) is estimate for the 1.8 liter Cruze.

50 MPG combined (51city/48hwy) is estimate for the 1.8 liter Prius.

Add to that the cleaner smog-related emissions, there's not much left to debate anymore. Replacing a traditional 6-speed automatic transmission with a power-split device, motors, and battery clearly improves efficiency quite a bit.

Thanks

I'd say it depends on gas prices, and taxes. Gov't is already trying to find a way to increase taxes on high MPG vehicles since the gas tax raises quite a bit less with them on the road. We'll see....

Thanks

As a former Prius owner, I can say that the fuel economy savings are real. Heck, I even beat the original 60 mpg rating twice while I owned the car, and still managed to drive more or less normally. I did, however, tend to stay off the interstate. However, if you're really saving money is another matter. When I bought mine, I was looking at cars in a similar price range. Against a B6 Passat and a modded GTO, the Prius had great mileage, and those were the other finalists. However, if I were simply looking for a car that size, I could have bought one for less, and the Prius would not have made financial sense unless gas prices got a lot worse, meaning to the tune of six dollars a gallon. I admit that gas mileage wasn't the main reason I bought it. I considered it a new automotive experience that I should sample, and when I did, I insisted on all the high tech toys (navigation, bluetooth).

The Volt may come closer to paying for itself when you compare it to a Cruze with a similar amount of equipment, which would most likely be the LTZ. But even with the federal rebate, which isn't mentioned in the build your own site, that's about 10k to deal with. Financially, this isn't good enough to qualify as hype.

One could argue with the results of transferring the manufacturing of the energy the car consumes from the gas engine to a coal fired power plant (my power is provided, I think, by the nearby nuclear power plant), or whether the small number of such cars on the road makes a real difference. I say that it at least a good idea to try not to pollute more than necessary. If a few small things can make a difference, why not do them?
    Donne e motori, gioie e dolori

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

My concern about hybrids being hyped is that the government is forcing car companies to produce higher mpg cars because of CAFE. It runs up costs when you try to force technology, which a 35 mpg car CAFE requirement does, and even more so if the 60mpg CAFE becomes law.
    We could very easily end up with high mpg cars that people don't want and/or can't afford, all in the name of CAFE.
    I'd rather see government stay out of it, other than perhaps requiring manufacturers to produce at least 1 model that gets 40 mpg or 50 mpg, and put gas guzzler taxes on any car that gets less than 25 mpg in 2012, 26 mpg in 2013, 27 in 2014, and so on until gas guzzler status would be for cars that get less than 30 mpg. Same for trucks, but with the numbers 5 mpg lower.
    But if we had a national energy policy, none of the above would be necessary.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Quote Originally Posted by tom3 View Post
    I'd say it depends on gas prices, and taxes. Gov't is already trying to find a way to increase taxes on high MPG vehicles since the gas tax raises quite a bit less with them on the road. We'll see....
    Wow the government is forcing the auto industry to rapidly increase fuel economy standards but then they want to tax us for driving them. What the hell is the point of the CAFE law then, to tax us into submission?

Free market always works better in the auto industry. GM had plenty of fuel efficient cars before the collapse and they would have made just as many because of demand from customers rather then pressure from big brother.

If the U.S. starts becoming like Europe I'm joining the Michigan militia and will sleep in a basement with my guns. That way if they want to come tax me for driving my geo metro they will have to "take it from my cold dead hands".

The democratic agenda i more about helping a tree rather than a human being.

Sorry if anybody is liberal here, but you see what happens with a liberal agenda.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

The real question is not whether Hybrid's are hyped or not, it's will people pay for it in bigger and bigger numbers. I don't care about emissions, the government should remove all rebates and allow the free market to decide if hybrid's can move above 2.2% of the car market. They should drop gas guzzler taxes and let people decide how best to spend their money on a vehicle be it huge truck or sports car or hybrid or whatever. Obviously when you have an engine+electric motor&battery you will get better fuel economy, then an engine only vehicle. One can only hope that the batteries will hold up long term and nothing goes wrong with them because if not it could be damn expensive.
    Last edited by Tre-Tre; 10-31-2010 at 03:14 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 slowinthefastlane's Avatar
    Thanks

These numbers won't mean anything if there's another huge gas price hike like there was in 2008 - especially if it's sustained. Back then, Toyota dealers were selling Priuses for several thousand dollars over sticker. At least with the Volt, GM will have something to sell should we find ourselves in this situation again.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information