Microbial Hydrogen Production Threatens Extinction for the Ethanol Dinosaur

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microbial Hydrogen Production Threatens Extinction for the Ethanol Dinosaur

Thanks

Microbial Hydrogen Production Threatens Extinction for the Ethanol Dinosaur

* Click on image for source

Hydrogen fuel may soon be nearly as plentiful and cheap due to record setting efficiency

Hydrogen is the optimal fuel in terms of the cleanliness of its burn reaction. It burns cleanly; producing only water, unlike carbon based fossil fuels which also produce CO2 and other hydrocarbon derivatives. However, hydrogen has suffered from two key problems; one problem is storage; the other problem is production.

Traditional production of hydrogen via electrolysis (applying an electrical current to water) is not very efficient as you are expending energy to apply the electricity. It also requires the use of fossil fuels or some other alternative energy structure to produce this power for the production infrastructure.

However, research Bruce Logan and his colleagues at Penn State aim to toss traditional production out the window and revolutionize the way hydrogen is produced. Their approach -- let special bacteria break down plant matter and byproducts producing hydrogen -- with almost no human produced necessary power. The process is highly efficient and could be easily scalable to mass production.

The researchers had previously had good success with their waste water cell that used these bacteria process organic waste. Now the researchers, funded by a National Science Foundation grant, have made modifications to their cell design which improve the living conditions for the bacteria, and they add a small jolt of electricity at the start of the process to excite them (note this is a trivial energy expense when compared to electrolysis).

The end result is that their microbes are churning out hydrogen at record efficiency. They call their new cell the Microbial Electrolysis Cell (MEC).

"We achieved the highest hydrogen yields ever obtained with this approach from different sources of organic matter, such as yields of 91 percent using vinegar (acetic acid) and 68 percent using cellulose," said Logan.

(read more at the SOURCE)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Microbial Hydrogen Production Threatens Extinction for the Ethanol Dinosaur

As long as vinegar is not used to make tortillas, this sounds like an exciting (pun intended) development.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

I concur, exciting stuff. Of course there are other problems with hydrogen, like transporting it, on-board storage, and the cost of fuel cells and high-pressure hydrogen tanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw this earlier this week; great news. Combine this with the breakthroughs in hydrogen storage (hybrid ceramics and nano-materials) that eliminate the need for high pressure and low temps and we could be closing in on hydrogen becoming a mainstream energy source for vehicles far sooner than we would have thought even a few years ago. Thanks for the detailed post.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I know there are a lot of hydrogen nay-sayers, but it's alway amazing what happens when a problem presents itself and Americans go about solving it. We just about always come up with a solution.
    2011 Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
    2013 Volt
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
    - Elbert Hubbard

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Anyone notice the release of CO2 in the process? I wonder how much, and if they plan to capture it? (Not a greenie, just wondering.)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

Sounds pretty good, can't wait to see where this goes.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang View Post
    Anyone notice the release of CO2 in the process? I wonder how much, and if they plan to capture it? (Not a greenie, just wondering.)
    Decaying biomass will naturally give off CO2 anyway. If this process were done in a controlled manufacturing facility, CO2 could also be collected and otherwise used rather than going into the atmosphere.
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 CamaroCrazy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Twin Turbo Caddy

Excellent news. Since I work in the biotechnology industry, my main concern is seeing this technology commercialized. Found a breakthrough way to make hydrogen? Great, let's start a company, get production running, and start making this stuff. I'd like a hydrogen fuel cell car in my driveway sooner rather than later.

BTW, has anyone else seen the new Honda commercial featuring the FCV Clarity? Looks like Chevrolet isn't the only one advertising their next generation technologies. Yet Honda's commericial was real vague and misleading - if I didn't know any better, I'd have thought that you could go out and buy the Clarity today.
    Current Cars:
    2016 GMC Acadia Denali
    2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Past Cars:
    1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1984 Chevrolet Impala, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro, 2007 Ford Explorer, 2007 BMW 335i

De gustibus non est disputandum

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Why wait till transportation and storage issues are solved? lets just build H2 generation facilities next to existing fossil fuel gereating plants and convert them over to hydrogen while we try to figure out how to store it safely (and cheaply)for use as a transportation fuel.
    Ed

Thanks

It sounds like all you need (other than the equipment) is vinegar and the bacteria. These could go anywhere.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Solution to CO2 issue, just feed it to Algae ponds for biodiesel. Simplicity itself.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,479 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I hope this speeds up the hydrogen conversion.

Just think how pist our enemies will be when this takes off.

I fear ethanol is just a con job to get huge fed subsidies. It's not nearly a satisfactory or efficient solution.

As for the believers in the CO2 global warmbaloney panic disorder, H2O (hydrogen fuel exhaust byproduct) far, far exceeds anything CO2 could ever hope to achieve as a greenhouse gas in its wildest dreams.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z16monte View Post
    Why wait till transportation and storage issues are solved? lets just build H2 generation facilities next to existing fossil fuel gereating plants and convert them over to hydrogen while we try to figure out how to store it safely (and cheaply)for use as a transportation fuel.
    Ed

Great idea!!!!!!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by ronald mcretard View Post
    I concur, exciting stuff. Of course there are other problems with hydrogen, like transporting it, on-board storage, and the cost of fuel cells and high-pressure hydrogen tanks.
    I'm very excited about this. As for transportation? It looks like this system could be easily incorporated into existing waste water treatment facilities. Now I live 200Kms from the nearest oil refinery. And I only live 2Kms from the nearest waste water treatment plant. I'm pretty sure hydrogen could be economically transported on this scale even by truck.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information