Michigan oil company fined for gouging in Katrina's wake

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Michigan oil company fined for gouging in Katrina's wake

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Michigan oil company fined for gouging in Katrina's wake

Link

Michigan-based Krist Oil Co. has agreed to pay a fine of $3,933 for alleged price gouging immediately following Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Michigan oil company fined for gouging in Katrina's wake

Wow, that's only 2 years ago! What a speedy process we have!

$4000 is a drop in the bucket for these people, and you know they made far more profit on it than 4 grand. What do the customers get that they ripped off? Oh, nothing!

Thanks

Oh swift justice on the wings of angels this is. Meanwhile, in New Orleans (a city slightly more affected by Katrina than Marinette County): education still sucks, eliminating the most important route out of the city's stagnant poverty stricken gang culture, which is now contributing to the city's highest ever murder rate (currently one of the highest in the country), which is scaring away much needed tourist dollars. Of course, even if the Mississippi River ran gold, our notoriously corrupt government (the most recent in a string of arrests landed a councilman destined to be mayor in jail) and legal system would call it insufficient for real progress as they funnel it into their own pockets and let the thirsty citizens gaze longingly from our still dilapidated levees.
    This city sucks and nobody cares except people like me. And I'm leaving as soon as I graduate. Anybody who wants to call me a hypocrite better be from Louisiana. Only then will I believe you understand the bottomless pit this state and this city has been to anyone desperate to make it great.
    We have the mouth of the Mississippi and oil, which might as well be a river of gold running from our shores for the last century, and yet we remain at the top of ever shameful list and the bottom of every rewarding one.
    But thank God we, or at least Wisconsin, have the nation behind us in the fight against 24-hour price gouging sprees.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

Did they forget to type three or four zeros after that fine? Because that is what it should be for taking advantage of a disaster where people died!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

lol $3933.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by tcrosbsierra
    Anybody who wants to call me a hypocrite better be from Louisiana.
    Okay, you're a hypocrite!

Just kidding there, home slice!

While most of what you say is true, I'll take this historical, culture-laden city with all its warts over the plasticky strip-mall-o-rama that represents the rest of this country. I'll take my century-old house on Octavia, with its carriage house, handcrafted mouldings and medallions, over some cookie-cutter glue-and-vinyl McMansion in some soul-less suburb. I like walking my kids to Newman school each morning. I like the rumble and clank of the streetcar (and eagerly await its return).

It's worth risking life and limb in this crime-ridden hellhole, just for one plate of Shrimp Uggy from Uglesich's (I'm still in mourning). It's worth tolerating the atrocious corruption in this city just to watch Endymion roll down St. Charles a mere block from my home. It's worth tolerating the stifling heat and smothering humidity just to experience ONE stage at Jazz Fest.

Granted it's not everybody's cup of tea, especially if they're one of the poor deluded souls who have been schmoozed by Madison Avenue into believing that cookie-cutter tract housing out in Mall-o-rama land is THE way to live.

Travel overseas and tell people you're from New Orleans. Their faces light up as they buzz with excitement! It's a city that nearly everybody wants to visit at least once. It's the birthplace of jazz, and a city world famous for its to-die-for cuisine. That's something that other big cities like Atlanta or Denver can't brag about.

But the corruption, the crime, the poverty... these are all factors that have made this America's most interesting city. Without them, this woudl just be any other ordinary, boring US city. From twelfth-night parties to muffalettas, there's just no city in America, save maybe New York or San Francisco that can match this city's vivre. It's a city ya just gotta luv, hun, warts and all!

And having lived in probably a dozen cities elsewhere on Earth, and having to professionally deal with local governments nationwide, I can attest to the fact that this city and state are no more or less corrupt than any other state. It's just in Louisiana, we make our corruption known! Hell we even celebrate it! But believe me, it's the same, if not worse in other places... they just do a better job of sweeping it under the rug!

So.... howzyamama'nem?

Thanks

I hear ya t-rex. I don't want to come across as a New Orleans/Louisiana hater. And I don't believe I can or will ever enjoy another culture as much as the one that exudes from every inch of the city and its suburbs. And I do intend to take as much of it as I can with me, wherever I go; I will especially have to pick up some New Orleans cooking skills, or face trying to hunt out the decent affordable cooking that seems so hard to find elsewhere (and if you do find it, it hardly ever has that distinction that Louisiana cuisine holds).

All in all, that's all the city has going for it: music, flavor, and soul. And I hope to God that it comes up with some of the more practically important values: roads, education, and law enforcement. Because if it doesn't, I think I might have to endure the tasteless cookie-cutter community, for the sake of my children (btw I'm 19 so that wont be a concern for a while). I love the city, but it fires me up to think that with all it has going for it, it has fallen apart.
    Last edited by tcrosbsierra; 08-16-2007 at 08:43 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information