Michigan biodiesel industry responding to high soy bean prices

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Michigan biodiesel industry responding to high soy bean prices

Thanks

Michigan biodiesel industry responding to high soy bean prices

It's great to see the marketplace react to the economics of biofuels.

The NextDiesel plant [in Adrian, Michigan] is designed to make fuel from a variety of sources, so-called feed stocks, including animal fats and soybean oil. Nosan said that diversification protects the company from big price swings in one or the other of those commodities....

Rising soybean oil costs forced the Michigan Biodiesel plant in Bangor to significantly cut production this summer and lay off 19 of its 22 employees. The plant is switching to animal fats as its feed stock and hopes to ramp up production in the coming weeks....

So far Michigan's biodiesel plants are rising up in the state's rural communities. That could change in the next year as two companies aim to bring biodiesel plants to Detroit. Both of those plants would rely on recycled oils, such as restaurant grease, rather than ingredients derived from agriculture products.
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...708150345/1148

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Michigan biodiesel industry responding to high soy bean prices

I still like algal oil as THE best source of bio-diesel vs. using food crops as feed stocks. Much less energy intensive too.

Thanks

The law of supply and demand will once again rear it's ugly head and these alternate sources will also increase in price.

"Feed stock has gotten priced so far out of range, it's no longer economically feasible for biodiesel production,'' Oakley said, noting that the animal fat, restaurant grease and other byproducts used to make the diesel-fuel additive saw an unprecedented price increase in the past six months.
    Likewise, the cost of soybean oil -- a viable option instead of feed stock to make biodiesel -- has soared to never-before-seen highs, Oakley said."

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/...620.xml&coll=7

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Eventually, everything that has the potential to be turned into biodiesel or ethanol is going to see a surcharge on it. Once speculators get into the biofuels, prices will soar.

I think as long as there is enough diversity in the sources, prices should stay relatively low.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

It hit me just now....I wonder if that amazing algae that produces SO much more biodiesel per acre than food crops and with far less energy input, might be fed in whole or in part with sewage? It would be cool if we could purify human waste to protect the environment, and in turn be rewarded with lower costs, the need for fewer tertiary treatment plants, AND the bonus of millions of gallons of bio-diesel! I am an eternal optimist in spite of it all, and Ron's previous postings about algal biodiesel, which I had never heard of before, add to my optimism about a future free of dependence on foreign oil and the unseemly things the U.S. has done for many decades to control it, thus sowing hatred for our country in many locales around the world. If sewage and algae can leave the Saudis with one less customer held by their cojones, and no longer bailed out by the Bush family dynasty, and leave us energy independent and once again respected in the world, then I am all for it.

As a botanist I am curious as to which brackish water algae species is being employed in these very promising ventures.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluecon
    The law of supply and demand will once again rear it's ugly head and these alternate sources will also increase in price.

"Feed stock has gotten priced so far out of range, it's no longer economically feasible for biodiesel production,'' Oakley said, noting that the animal fat, restaurant grease and other byproducts used to make the diesel-fuel additive saw an unprecedented price increase in the past six months.
    Likewise, the cost of soybean oil -- a viable option instead of feed stock to make biodiesel -- has soared to never-before-seen highs, Oakley said."

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/...620.xml&coll=7
    Which is why Switchgrass and other alternatives for biofuel need to be pursued. There's little market for switchgrass out there now.

Problem is, much of the Ethanol and Biodiesel push in the U.S. comes from Midwestern farmers, not those looking to find new crops to experiment with in the desert.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes
    It hit me just now....I wonder if that amazing algae that produces SO much more biodiesel per acre than food crops and with far less energy input, might be fed in whole or in part with sewage? It would be cool if we could purify human waste to protect the environment, and in turn be rewarded with lower costs, the need for fewer tertiary treatment plants, AND the bonus of millions of gallons of bio-diesel! I am an eternal optimist in spite of it all, and Ron's previous postings about algal biodiesel, which I had never heard of before, add to my optimism about a future free of dependence on foreign oil and the unseemly things the U.S. has done for many decades to control it, thus sowing hatred for our country in many locales around the world. If sewage and algae can leave the Saudis with one less customer held by their cojones, and no longer bailed out by the Bush family dynasty, and leave us energy independent and once again respected in the world, then I am all for it.

As a botanist I am curious as to which brackish water algae species is being employed in these very promising ventures.
    Your nutty politics aside, if you find out which specie of algae is most productive at producing lipids in salt water, you will become a very rich man. The current "delay" in the construction of algae biodiesel plants is the result of that very investigation (and contemporary genetic modification research).

Thanks

If sewage and algae can leave the Saudis with one less customer held by their cojones, and no longer bailed out by the Bush family dynasty, and leave us energy independent and once again respected in the world, then I am all for it.
    I thought we weren't suppose to say anything political?
    Hungry ,eat your importHidden Content

CHANGE? In 1959 CUBA got CHANGE! Be careful what you wish for!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PRO_USA1776
    I thought we weren't suppose to say anything political?
    Conservatives can't say anything political.

High employment taxes on manufacturers, high gasoline taxes, prohibition of domestic oil production, CAFE standards and NAFTA (passed in 1996), are all good for GM. So liberals must be respected accordingly.

Thanks

If we want energy independence why don't we drill for all the oil in Alaska and offshore?
    Seems like a simple solution.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information