Malcolm’s X-Prize Bid

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm’s X-Prize Bid

Premium Member
    Thanks

Malcolm’s X-Prize Bid

By Herb Shuldiner
    WardsAuto.com, Sep 6, 2007 3:42 PM

NEW YORK – Malcolm Bricklin, the perennial automotive innovator and founder of car companies, says he will compete for the multimillion-dollar X-Prize with a new sleek model he plans to offer in the U.S. before the end of 2010.

Previously, 31 other companies were invited to compete for the X Prize cup, which will be awarded to winners in two categories whose entries must achieve at least 100 mpg (2.4 L/100 km).

The Santa Monica, CA-based X Prize Foundation, which made headlines in 2004 when it awarded a $10 million prize to a company that flew the world’s first private aircraft into space, has said it would release final rules for the competition by year’s end.

Bricklin says his car will be a plug-in hybrid-electric, fullsize luxury sedan with a targeted price of $35,000. The car will measure 205.0 ins. (520.7 cm) long, 57.0 ins. (144.8 cm) high and 78.0 ins. (198.1 cm) wide. Wheelbase will be 124.0 ins. (315.0 cm) and planned curb weight is 3,900 lbs. (1,769 kg).

The 5-passenger vehicle will accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 5.9 seconds and have a range of 850 miles (1,368 km), Bricklin promises.
    Advanced lithium-ion batteries are the key to his planned car, which Bricklin says will provide a superior driving experience in addition to its lower fuel consumption and emissions.

The batteries will use an advanced cathode technology incorporating nanotechnology. This will provide shorter recharge time, longer cycle life and tolerate extreme temperatures, he says.

The batteries will be capable of recharging by plugging into a conventional 110- or 220-volt outlet.

Best of all, if the driver makes trips shorter than 40-50 miles (64-80 km), the expected range of the batteries between charges, the vehicle could operate indefinitely without using any gasoline.

The plug-in hybrid vehicle will be built by a Chinese manufacturer to be identified at a later date. The company Bricklin chairs, Visionary Vehicles LLC, will begin selling the sedan before the competition runoff, Bricklin promises.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/malcom_prize_bid/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Malcolm’s X-Prize Bid

I can't find out if GM is competing in this, but if not they should be. It would seem to me the Volt would be a shoe-in.

Speaking of the Volt, I have to question what this x-prize group is thinking on this one. I think this x-prize competition thing is a great idea. But the Volt is common knowledge in the auto community. The Volt will not only get 100 mpg+, but it will be in high volume production. That to me is a guaranteed win for GM. Since GM is already committed to doing this, other automakers will also do it. So there is no real need for this particular contest IMHO.

Thanks

No, this contest is exactly what we need. Bricklin is an outsider that has basically said, "come hell or high water my vehicle is going to hit the market." The contest is the driving factor in this and he wants to win. So now, the major manufacturers, who have historically always drug their feet when it comes to fuel economy (and gave birth to many consipiracy theories). Now the big boys have no choice but to hit the market as soon as possible or be left behind. This guy is doing in 2 years what GM has been "talking" about for the past 2 years.

We'll see what happens though. I would imagine the "something" will happen to this guy or his plans. I'm betting something will happen that will keep this vehicle from reaching consumers.

I may be too suspicious, but GM, Toyota, Ford...all of them. They are all talk when it comes to vehicles that can run without the need for gas. We have yet to see anything. This guy Bricklin, he's their wake up call. It's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. I bet we'll see a whole lot more activity from GM and Toyota concerning this technology. All of the sudden GM will say they have the battery to do it (when they actually probably had it all along.)

So bravo to whoever created this contest. And bravo to all those who are trying to win it. The ultimate winner will be America. Not only will we no longer need Middle East or South American Terrorist-supporting oil, but we will begin the process of ridding our need for oil at all.

Shell, BP, Texaco....good riddance. You're time has past.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Let's just hope, for Bricklin's sake, that the X-Prize doesn't include crash tests in its evalutation. Chinese made cars don't do too well there.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grymm
    No, this contest is exactly what we need. Bricklin is an outsider that has basically said, "come hell or high water my vehicle is going to hit the market." The contest is the driving factor in this and he wants to win. So now, the major manufacturers, who have historically always drug their feet when it comes to fuel economy (and gave birth to many consipiracy theories). Now the big boys have no choice but to hit the market as soon as possible or be left behind. This guy is doing in 2 years what GM has been "talking" about for the past 2 years.

We'll see what happens though. I would imagine the "something" will happen to this guy or his plans. I'm betting something will happen that will keep this vehicle from reaching consumers.

I may be too suspicious, but GM, Toyota, Ford...all of them. They are all talk when it comes to vehicles that can run without the need for gas. We have yet to see anything. This guy Bricklin, he's their wake up call. It's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. I bet we'll see a whole lot more activity from GM and Toyota concerning this technology. All of the sudden GM will say they have the battery to do it (when they actually probably had it all along.)
    No offense, but you are way out of touch with the times. Where do I start? The days of the big three deciding that something is not going to happen is looooong gone. They are all in the fight of their lives and they know it. GM needs the Volt if only to restore it's tarnished reputation.

GM is very far along in the development of the Volt. I understand the skepticism because of GM's historical actions (promise and not deliver). But there is growing evidence that this time it's for real. It will be here by 2010 (coincedentally the same time this contest will end...or is it?). This is why I question the contest. If GM didn't have the Volt up their sleeve, then I would agree this contest would be a good thing.

As to Bricklin, perhaps you should do some research on the guy. He is the definition of smoke and mirrors. How many times was he going to 'rock the automotive world'? I believe his latest scam..er I mean project was to bring Chinese cars to the US by 2007. Well I suppose the year is not up yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Grymm
    This guy is doing in 2 years what GM has been "talking" about for the past 2 years.
    Ha! Bricklin is going to give GM a lesson in "Big talk, big action"?!? Yowza!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Oh, and kudos to him if he actually does manage this... but why start with a big luxury sedan? Wouldn't the goal be more easily attainable and have a bigger impact (in the long term, assuming the vehicle could make it to production) it is was a small or midsize vehicle that everyday Joe's could buy? That's why I like the Volt so much... I'll never have the money for a Tesla, but can see myself buying a Volt someday.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

No, this contest is exactly what we need. Bricklin is an outsider that has basically said, "come hell or high water my vehicle is going to hit the market."
    Bricklin is a snake oil saleman.
    Remember the Yugo? The Fiat X 1/9 - which is the biggest pile I've ever ridden in? Nuff said.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

The Yugo:

The Fiat X1/9:

And of course the Bricklin:
    Current Hidden Content
    2013 Chevy Spark
    2010 Honda Odyssey
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

R.I.P. Hidden Content
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid (given to my brother)
    1999 Honda Elite (stolen)
    1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1996 Honda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    1995 Honda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

Bricklin seems to have a good track record of broken promises as well. Good luck to him, again.

How do you determine if the car meets the 100mpg requirement if they expect to have entries that use all different types of fuels and energy sources?
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Using plug-in hybrids to reduce fuel consumption has it's merits but should be disallowed for this competition because they do not seeking efficiency, just the use of alternate sources of energy.

On the cheating note, my Cobalt is able to achieve the 2.4L/100km requirement under the following conditions:

1) slight downhill grade ("slight" = must press accellerator to maintain speed)
    2) 60kph constant speed
    3) Fifth gear

So give me a long slightly sloped road and I will enter my car

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Type
    No offense, but you are way out of touch with the times. Where do I start? The days of the big three deciding that something is not going to happen is looooong gone. They are all in the fight of their lives and they know it. GM needs the Volt if only to restore it's tarnished reputation.

GM is very far along in the development of the Volt. I understand the skepticism because of GM's historical actions (promise and not deliver). But there is growing evidence that this time it's for real. It will be here by 2010 (coincedentally the same time this contest will end...or is it?). This is why I question the contest. If GM didn't have the Volt up their sleeve, then I would agree this contest would be a good thing.

As to Bricklin, perhaps you should do some research on the guy. He is the definition of smoke and mirrors. How many times was he going to 'rock the automotive world'? I believe his latest scam..er I mean project was to bring Chinese cars to the US by 2007. Well I suppose the year is not up yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    You beat me to it.

As for the Volt, it's not going to get 100mpg in regular driving. It'll be very efficient, but I doubt that it will be an American-highway-friendly car AND get more than 50-60mpg in regular driving.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Bricklin will introduce the incredible electric luxury car from China. Also, I'm building a spacecraft so I can finally harass those damn aliens that come here and harass us.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Maybe Malcolm will win, who knows? I don't know if I care, actually.

If he does win, though, I'd like to make a suggestion to him. Invest the $10 million in hiring a talented someone to endow the car with proper exterior design. If it looks anything like the car featured in the article, I'm not so sure it'll do well in the marketplace, advanced powertrain or no. It's a heinous exterior. Yikes! Makes me wonder what the interior will look like.

Thanks

Bricklin's only ever success, automotively, was importing Subarus to America for the first time ever in the late '60s... and even then, it was only short-term success. The only Subarus he imported were the 360s, which he didn't modify that much for the American market, and Americans found that when taken on normal American highways, the little suckers were unstable as all get-out. After a few years, Bricklin's Subaru-importing business went tits up... it wasn't until later that Subaru finally brought cars to America itself, in a much better fashion.

Malcolm Bricklin's automotive track-record since his Subaru debacle has been WRETCHED... the Fiat X1/9, the SV-1, the Yugo, the ZMW (updated Yugo... never made it to America), and importing Chinese cars to America by 2006... it's all either been a complete failure, or vaporware.

Anyone who wants to cheer-on Malcolm Bricklin in his latest snake-oil venture, don't hold your breath for results.
    Last edited by DiRF; 09-12-2007 at 01:12 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information