LS9 Says It's Found Genes That Enable One-Step Conversion of Sugar to Diesel

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS9 Says It's Found Genes That Enable One-Step Conversion of Sugar to Diesel

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

LS9 Says It's Found Genes That Enable One-Step Conversion of Sugar to Diesel

By Scott Doggett

Researchers at the South San Francisco biotechnology startup LS9 claim today to have discovered a way to produce alkanes - the major hydrocarbon constituents of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel - in a direct, simple conversion from sugar.

If true, the development could lead to a significant reduction in the cost of producing "drop-in" hydrocarbon fuels that are low-carbon, sustainable and compatible with the existing fuel distribution infrastructure.

"This is a one step sugar-to-diesel process that does not require elevated temperatures, high pressures, toxic inorganic catalysts, hydrogen or complex unit operations," said Steve del Cardayre, LS9's vice president of research and development.

In an article published in Science, LS9 researchers announced the discovery of novel genes that, when expressed in the bacterium E. coli (pictured), produce alkanes, the primary hydrocarbon components of the fuels mentioned above.

Alkanes, also known as paraffins or saturated hydrocarbons, are chemical compounds that consist only of the elements carbon and hydrogen (i.e., hydrocarbons). Alkanes include methane, ethane, propane, butane and octane.

It is the first description of the genes responsible for alkane biosynthesis and the first example of a single-step conversion of sugar to fuel-grade alkanes by an engineered microorganism.

According to an article in Biofuels Digest, scientists have spent the last 20 years failing in their attempts to identify the genes that enable particular natural organisms to directly convert biomass into alkanes.

The LS9 team claims to have succeeded by looking into the genomes of bacteria that produce alkanes in nature, which are known as cyanobacteria.

Full article:
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...to-diesel.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: LS9 Says It's Found Genes That Enable One-Step Conversion of Sugar to Diesel

Interesting for sure.

Really like the partially 'de centralized' aspects and possibilities......

Two more like it to go alongside.

Co-Electrolysis of CO2 and H2O for the Production of Liquid Fuels

23 July 2010

Researchers at Columbia University’s Lenfest Center for Sustainable Energy, in collaboration with Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, DTU, are investigating the high-temperature co-electrolysis of CO2 and H2O using solid oxide electrolysis cells (SOECs) to produce a syngas for conversion into liquid hydrocarbon fuels.
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...0723.html#more

and -

Researchers Demonstrate New Solar Carbon Capture Process; STEP Converts CO2 to Solid Carbon or CO for Use in Fuels and Chemicals Synthesis

21 July 2010

Dr. Stuart Licht at George Washington University and colleagues have published the first experimental evidence of their new solar thermal electrochemical photo (STEP) process, which combines electronic and chemical pathways to convert CO2 to carbon or to carbon monoxide for subsequent use in synthesizing a range of industrially relevant products including hydrocarbon fuels. (Earlier post.) Their paper was published online 14 July in ACS’ Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters.

The STEP process uses a high temperature electrolysis cell powered by sunlight to capture CO2 in a single step. Solar thermal energy decreases the energy required for the endothermic conversion of carbon dioxide and kinetically facilitates electrochemical reduction, while solar visible energy generates electronic charge to drive the electrolysis.

The STEP process is fundamentally capable of converting more solar energy than photovoltaic or solar thermal processes alone, according to the researchers. -

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...or-co-for.html

There are literally at this point, hundreds more.

Gee, looks like we may not need things like battery hybrids ......... and cap and trade credits........ and their related derivatives after all - which means of course, for sure we will have them anyway.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 07-31-2010 at 02:30 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Re: LS9 Says It's Found Genes That Enable One-Step Conversion of Sugar to Diesel

Sounds interesting.

Hopefully this can lead to a cheaper and more efficient way of producing fuel from alternative energy sources.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Ultra Magnus's Avatar
    Thanks

If they really can make cheap sustainable fuels then I say Big Blocks for everyone!
    They said it couldn't be done. That is until I did it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 877 Posts

Sounds promising and I say big Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar for everyone

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

A future LS9 powered by this LS9 concoction??

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC CamaroZ28Power!'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    Remember, before crossing the street, always make sure to look both ways. For Toyotas.

----------------------------------------

Argh - I can't stand it anymore:

Loose: not tightly fastened or confined

Lose: To fail to sustain or keep, to be deprived of

You don't "loose" a game, or your wallet. For the sake of the English language, please stop.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1987 Chevrolet R10

Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    When I read the thread's title... I was like "huh?! an LS9 can talk?!"

This sounds interesting indeed... I love how people can still be innovative!

In the sea of new automotive faces,
    there's nothing like the appreciation and beauty of an older model. Let's represent!

~ZvetteGuy

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads up...this sounds very promising and remarkably innovative....sure are some smart, focused people out there!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 90CamaroRS's Avatar
    Thanks

Bye bye ethanol
    Proud Owner Of a 1990 Camaro RS

Best Mileage to date: 33.8MPG Hidden Content
    525 highway miles on a single tank

Hidden Content

D C
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    g fuel distribution infrastructure.

"This is a one step sugar-to-diesel process that does not require elevated temperatures, high pressures, toxic inorganic catalysts, hydrogen or complex unit operations," said Steve del Cardayre, LS9's vice president of research and development.
    Sounds like cold fusion to me. Let's see if anyone can duplicate what they claim to have done.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Interesting for sure.

Really like the partially 'de centralized' aspects and possibilities......

Two more like it to go alongside.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...0723.html#more
    That one sounds like it would have an overly negative EROEI...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D C View Post
    Sounds like cold fusion to me. Let's see if anyone can duplicate what they claim to have done.
    Sugars are carbons and hydrogens and oxygens, alkanes are carbons and hydrogens, not nearly as complex as splitting/fusing the atom.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks

I'd rather they've sped up research on ANG (adsorbed natural gas), gasoline still requires masses of additives and does not burn too clean (an don't even get me started on diesel). Natural gas is much less harmful to the environment (basically, it's all CO2 - and less than any other fuel to boot - when it burns), and to the engines themselves.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

We are too lazy and coddled to want serious substantive change to make any alternatives to fuel. It's the truth, so don't bother wasting time arguing it, we've had enough time to make a difference and have failed miserably.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information