Light Duty Diesels meet Hybrids in Trucks

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Duty Diesels meet Hybrids in Trucks

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Light Duty Diesels meet Hybrids in Trucks

General Motors unveiled its new hybrid pickups and SUVs at this year's Los Angeles Auto Show. Admittedly a late-comer to the hybrid game, GM is proving it's getting serious with its hybrid offerings. Even the Europeans, which for years have been insistent that diesel is the wave of the future and hybrids are nothing more than a passing fad, are coming to grips with the market realities that are demanding hybrids.

But in about two years, an interesting scenario will start to play out in Chevrolet and GMC showrooms across the country. Hybrid and light-duty diesel models will be sold side-by-side. Off-the record, even one GM executive hinted that the company was hedging its bets by planning to offer both, uncertain as to what direction the market will go when offered the two choices.

Let's look at what we do know, and throw in a little speculation for good measure. The Tahoe Hybrid is going for around $50k. Figure the Silverado will be priced a little below that, let's figure $44k. The Silverado Hybrid produces around 332 horsepower and 367 lb./ft. of torque, plus whatever additional power is added by the electric motors. Because of some aero-aiding styling and engineering tweaks, towing capacity took a hit, down to around 6,000 lbs., as opposed to up to 10,500 with a properly-equipped conventional half-ton. Mileage is highly respectable at around 20/20.

When the Duramax 4500 makes its debut, it's estimated to produce 310 horsepower and a robust 520 lb./ft. of torque. If it's like most diesels, it will be barely fazed by heavy loads, likely offering the full maximum half-ton towing capacity of 10,000 lbs. or higher. Okay, so it won't have the whisper-quiet operation of the hybrid, but those in the know have said the new "baby" Duramax will be quieter than any of the current 3/4 or 1-ton diesels on the market. As far as a price premium, figure $5,000-6,000 over a comparable conventional 5.3 or 6.0L, but likely right in the same ballpark as the hybrid. As far as fuel economy, figure on it meeting or beating the Hybrid, let's say 19/24 instead of the hybrid's 20/21, maybe even as high as 20/25.

continue at the link
    We are masters of our own destiny, he said. We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way. Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Light Duty Diesels meet Hybrids in Trucks

i would buy the diesel in a heartbeat over the hybrid, i feel that hybrid trucks will go away eventually leaving only the suvs with hybrids, unless they somehow do a diesel hybrid

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

He's probably right that Tahoe buyers are more likely to like hybrids and Silverado buyers will more likely buy diesels. There is probably a market for both still. If you do a lot of city driving and don't tow a heavy trailer (greater than 6k lbs) then the hybrid might be better, especially if you don't like filling up at the diesel pump or there aren't a lot of pumps where you live. If you tow often then the diesel will be more favorable, especially if you do more hwy driving where it will be more efficient. There is always the possiblility that the two could be combined someday. That would be incredibly expensive however so it would be a long way off. I'd probably opt. for the diesel myself if the mileage is as good as he says. I think the hybrid would be a good option for myself as well since my towing needs probably won't exceed 5k by much if at all. I'll probably take whatever is offered in a 1/2 ton Surburban, that is what I really want in a few years.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Why choose? The price of gasoline will continue to increase to the point that it will make economic sense to get both: a hybrid-diesel.

Thanks

I'll take a 1/2 ton with a diesel please.
    "If you don't want to go fast, then quit racing and go do something else. And you might want to get some kerosene rags and tie them around your ankles. That'll keep the bugs from crawling up your legs and eating your candy ass."
    - Dale Earnhardt Sr.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Why choose? The price of gasoline will continue to increase to the point that it will make economic sense to get both: a hybrid-diesel.

Agreed.

Thanks

Next truck of mine, I definetly want to to be diesel...Kind of a necessity since we'll eventually need a larger horse trailer though.

The noise is not a problem, and shouldn't really be for truck buyers....In fact a lot of diesel truck owners I know have straight pipe exhaust anyways!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

...Hybrid and light-duty diesel models will be sold side-by-side. Off-the record, even one GM executive hinted that the company was hedging its bets by planning to offer both, uncertain as to what direction the market will go when offered the two choices...
    And what's wrong with that? Different consumers have different needs, so vehicles need to be equipped differently. Go figure.

While I think HoosierRon's idea-hybrid diesels-makes perhaps the most sense, I thought a discussion on this very site suggested that the cost would be quite prohibitive.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    As far as fuel economy, figure on it meeting or beating the Hybrid, let's say 19/24 instead of the hybrid's 20/21, maybe even as high as 20/25.
    I could see a 20/25 rating under the 2007 EPA fuel economy standards, but I'm not as confident it would happen with the 2008 EPA standards.

If the Silverado hybrid is rated 20/20, I bet the Silverado (half ton) diesel is closer to 18/23. I'd love to be wrong. But even if I'm right, that's still a colossal improvement for a half ton pickup with a tremendous tow rating.

Thanks

common rail diesels blow hybrids away. now a hybrid common rail diesel would really be special.

Thanks

I'd prefer a diesel & I love trucks, but I just can't see any Tahoe or Silverado being worth $44-50K.

The fact that so many sell sell in that range just blows me away.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 GMC Acadia SLT-2 Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Yea, but with the price of diesel being about 50 cents per gallon higher in our area, does a diesel really make sense unless you need it for towing/hauling capacity?

Thanks

Long term cost of ownership may factor in for some buyers

- Diesel motors typically last longer than gas motors
    - What is the expected life of the batteries for the hybrid and the cost of replacement?

Some may not keep the vehicles long enough to care about those things though

tk

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by LARSONEM View Post
    Yea, but with the price of diesel being about 50 cents per gallon higher in our area, does a diesel really make sense unless you need it for towing/hauling capacity?
    Exactly. I love diesels, but I saw $3.999 per gallon yesterday. I also think that the 20/20 rating for the hybrid Tahoe is way too low. I can get 20mpg out of an Escalade and it's AWD with a 6.2L.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Big gas engines are still my favorite.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information