LA to Michigan in a GM EV1 - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LA to Michigan in a GM EV1

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,361 Times in 4,482 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: LA to Michigan in a GM EV1

If that 'lectric appliance ad was a GM creation, it must be the last good ad they produced! WTF happened to them since this?

I always thought the EV-1 was cool. Didn't the early ones have lead-acid batteries? Not bad for old tech.

Interesting parts were the inane media. "Where can an electric car driver fill 'er up?"

Really?

JHC, just what sort of dopes are personing the microphones in our newsrooms?

"It looks like any other car..."

Really?

What other car?

Quote Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
    I recall the EV1 as being largely well regarded in its day. People who leased them (they were all leased) were upset about having to give them up. They gave GM some green cred which they largely squandered by completely allowing Toyota and Honda to be the leaders on hybrids.
    Yeah, GM leads the way, then gets out of the way and once again loses concentration. How weird is that?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    It was a product well ahead of its time. Though flawed due to the nascent technology, it was quite a piece. GM never should have been vilified by it, they should have been applauded for building a spaceship when everyone was still in the equivalent of horse & buggy's. Even at the time it was known these were very expensive vehicles to manufacture and no way they could go mainstream. As Murrow said above, GM's biggest crime was handing over their green cred to Toyota.
    It was indeed a space ship.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    That's kind of like castigating the Model T for not having fuel injection and infotainment. EV1 was the first mass produced full electric vehicle, the fact they made it semi-livable at least for an urban/suburban environment was a pretty good win. And I'm sure much of that R&D found its way elsewhere.
    Those damn Model Ts! No heater either! Imagine!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

ekseubert (06-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    GM EV-1 production totalled 1,117 (MY 1997~'99).

In contrast, the Detroit Electric "company production was at its peak in the 1910s selling around 1000 to 2000 [full electric] cars a year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroi...t_Electric.jpg

(Figures and quotes from Wikipedia.)
    I seem to recall that GM leased the cars rather than selling them because they cost over $100,000 and would require them to be supported with parts and warranties for at least nine years.
    The EV-1s used lead acid batteries, much like nearly all batteries since the Detroit Electric models, which were a market failure due to lack of range.
    I look at the EV-1 as an important step toward a viable electric car industry, which was followed by the Volt, and the Bolt.
    Soon we will see affordable electric cars that have the all electric range that would have made the Detroit Electric vehicles a success, the EV-1s a success, and the Bolt a success. It's called development and progress,

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Show-Me2 For This Useful Post:

ekseubert (06-14-2017),johnstarnes (06-04-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,307 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me2 View Post
    I seem to recall that GM leased the cars rather than selling them because they cost over $100,000 and would require them to be supported with parts and warranties for at least nine years.
    The EV-1s used lead acid batteries, much like nearly all batteries since the Detroit Electric models, which were a market failure due to lack of range.
    I look at the EV-1 as an important step toward a viable electric car industry, which was followed by the Volt, and the Bolt.
    Soon we will see affordable electric cars that have the all electric range that would have made the Detroit Electric vehicles a success, the EV-1s a success, and the Bolt a success. It's called development and progress,

my understanding was also the "emissions warranty" HAD to cover the batteries and GM KNEW they would FAIL before the warrenty was up
    also the EV drive train was later sold in S10 pick ups with NO BATTERY to commercial fleets

I believe the EV1 and RAV4 EV ETC "paved the way" for the Prius which in itself paved the way for the VOLT/BOLT/LEAF AND market acceptance for "ELECTRIFIED" cars

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

You know, this would be a perfect time to pitch "Who Killed The Electric Car" and"Revenge Of The Electric Car". These two movies really tell the whole tale on what the EV-1 was, how it came to being and how and WHY it was killed. "Revenge" is a great story about the revival, including the Volt, the Leaf, and a few others. Really eye opening movies, both of them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johngoins For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (06-05-2017)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't the last ones have NIMH batteries?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information