Kudzu keeps growing, but plans to make it into biofuel have stalled

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Kudzu keeps growing, but plans to make it into biofuel have stalled

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Kudzu keeps growing, but plans to make it into biofuel have stalled

Sebastian Blanco
    AP

Kudzu is sometimes called "the vine that ate the South." Anyone who's lived or visited the southeastern U.S. can certainly understand why. The fast-growing vine swarms over trees and buildings and other items. A few years ago, there was a lot of talk about finding a way to use the invasive plant as a biomass ingredient for cellulosic ethanol, with both the University of Toronto and the U.S. Department of Agriculture investigating the issue. We haven't heard much about that plan for a while now, though, and the AP tells us why: the poor economy.

Even though a 2008 study by the UT and USDA found that kudzu might be able to produce a corn-like 400 liters of ethanol per acre, the follow-up portion of that study – a large-scale proof-of-concept project – never got underway because alt-fuel investments dried up when the recession hit. Low petroleum gas prices also didn't help.

All is not dead in the kudzu biofuel world, though. A Tennessee-based company – Agrogas – still looking for money to try and commercialize the idea, so we might figure out a way to use the plant before it totally takes over.

Article link:
    http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/21...uel-have-stal/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Kudzu keeps growing, but plans to make it into biofuel have stalled

I drove down to visit my sister recently in the South, and I was horrified by the way in which Kudzu basically chokes out virtually any other vegetation in the area; the photo contained within ne one's starter post to this thread is telling. I kept thinking that there has to be a way to exploit this plant's massive, relentless expansion.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

As a graduate of Kudzu League universities, I am all for Kudzu dominating the landscape. Beats Ivy, that's fo sho.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,723 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Last time we drove to TX my wife said that it was pretty to see all the wines. I really wanted to just tape her mouth shut. I then explained how the plant destroys everything it touches. She was then ashamed she said it.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    15 Mustang GT/04 GTO/09 G8GT

Too bad we can't get Japanese Beetles to eat that crap. It would give the little *******s something to destroy other than my fruit trees and roses. Then if we could just figure out how to get Starlings and Grackles to eat the Japanese Beetles, we'd have 2 of these 3 invasive species stamped out. Now what to do with the Starlings .... hmmm .... biofuel from birds???
    Hidden Content
    2015 Mustang GT Premium TY A6
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 756 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    ...Now what to do with the Starlings .... hmmm .... biofuel from birds???
    You laugh, but there are already in operation a couple (maybe more now) of facilities in the midwest that work with the big chicken and Turkey breeders. After your Thanksgiving turkey is processed, they take the remaining guts, heads, feet, feathers, etc and make....ta da! Biofuel.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

You can almost see Kudzu grow, cop the vine today and it's grown back tomorrow. The landscape around Port Gibson, Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi looks like outer space with nothing but strange looking formations. It certainly would be renewable energy, it would renew everyday, every week, a never ending source of ethanol. By the way, it's edible, you can buy cookbooks with nothing but Kudzu recipes, my-o-my an eternal source of energy and food.
    Last edited by A Bum In A Bus; 06-22-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

Coal Creek OHV Park is just outside Oak Ridge TN. It is also a working oil drilling site.
    In addition to the nuclear work at the Oak Ridge, there are windmill generators at the top of the hills. If kudzu becomes a reliable source of biofuel, the area could become the absolute heart of American fuel production.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

Thanks
    My Ride
    15 Mustang GT/04 GTO/09 G8GT

After your Thanksgiving turkey is processed, they take the remaining guts, heads, feet, feathers, etc and make....ta da! Biofuel.
    Very interesting. They could take the whole starling or grackle and turn them into biofuel for all I care, they should get to work on it.
    Hidden Content
    2015 Mustang GT Premium TY A6
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    Too bad we can't get Japanese Beetles to eat that crap. It would give the little *******s something to destroy other than my fruit trees and roses. Then if we could just figure out how to get Starlings and Grackles to eat the Japanese Beetles, we'd have 2 of these 3 invasive species stamped out. Now what to do with the Starlings .... hmmm .... biofuel from birds???

Goats love the stuff however. Both Knoxville and Chattanooga are using them to clean up the Kudzu.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Last time we drove to TX my wife said that it was pretty to see all the wines. I really wanted to just tape her mouth shut. I then explained how the plant destroys everything it touches. She was then ashamed she said it.
    That's a little harsh. Why get angry at her for thinking it was pretty, if she didn't know?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,723 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    That's a little harsh. Why get angry at her for thinking it was pretty, if she didn't know?
    It was the first time she had ever seen it. I gave her a quick history lesson and the only question she asked then was, "Why did they import it in the first place?"
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It was the first time she had ever seen it. I gave her a quick history lesson and the only question she asked then was, "Why did they import it in the first place?"
    They imported lots of stuff that we're paying for now. We can't control history, just rewrite it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    Coal Creek OHV Park is just outside Oak Ridge TN. It is also a working oil drilling site.
    In addition to the nuclear work at the Oak Ridge, there are windmill generators at the top of the hills. If kudzu becomes a reliable source of biofuel, the area could become the absolute heart of American fuel production.
    Not to mention fine dining. And not just for goats.

Quote Originally Posted by A Bum In A Bus View Post
    You can almost see Kudzu grow, cop the vine today and it's grown back tomorrow. The landscape around Port Gibson, Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi looks like outer space with nothing but strange looking formations. It certainly would be renewable energy, it would renew everyday, every week, a never ending source of ethanol. By the way, it's edible, you can buy cookbooks with nothing but Kudzu recipes, my-o-my an eternal source of energy and food.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    You laugh, but there are already in operation a couple (maybe more now) of facilities in the midwest that work with the big chicken and Turkey breeders. After your Thanksgiving turkey is processed, they take the remaining guts, heads, feet, feathers, etc and make....ta da! Biofuel.
    I thought I saw a couple of turkey feet at the station last fill-up.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

My father thinks the spikes in oil prices are intentionally cyclical. Pump up oil prices, make a fortune from people. Then, before alternative energies can really get off the ground, drop the price again. Once the alternative energy companies are almost entirely out of business, it's safe to crank the price of oil up again.

I should probably buy stock in Exxon. There isn't much else I can do.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 756 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GMJoe View Post
    Goats love the stuff however. Both Knoxville and Chattanooga are using them to clean up the Kudzu.
    No way! Goats need premium!
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information