I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen: GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns Talks Alternative Fuels

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen: GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns Talks Alternative Fuels

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen: GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns Talks Alternative Fuels

Handling The Fuel Sell

James Stanford
    19 August 2008
    www.goauto.com.au

General Motors R&D chief discusses the issues with alternative fuels.

General Motors research and development chief Larry Burns has urged stakeholders in alternative energy technologies to stop fighting among themselves.

Visiting Melbourne last week, Mr Burns stated GM’s view that there is no one solution to the looming fuel crisis and that various energy technology backers should recognise this.

“If this issue is as serious as it appears to be, then we can solve it,” Mr Burns said. “But we can’t solve it by being paralysed by all these different parochial views.”

He said the various backers were creating a distorted picture of the viability of various alternative technologies that was detrimental.

“What’s happening is that people who like natural gas over-promote natural gas and overly criticise all the other (alternative fuels),” he said.

“The people who like ethanol overly promote ethanol and overly criticise all the other ones. The next thing you know, you’ve got all these people digging their heels in, thinking there’s a single answer and that’s the only thing you should invest in. In fact, we must invest in all of them.”

Click here to continue article

GM vice-president of research & development and strategic planning Larry Burns
    shares a joke with GM Holden chairman and managing director Mark Reuss

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen, Says GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns

Visiting Melbourne last week, Mr Burns stated GM’s view that there is no one solution to the looming fuel crisis and that various energy technology backers should recognise this...

...The next thing you know, you’ve got all these people digging their heels in, thinking there’s a single answer and that’s the only thing you should invest in. In fact, we must invest in all of them.”
    Mr. Burns is one smart fellow. Many other quotes contained within the article readily demonstrate that. GM is lucky to have him.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Re: I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen, Says GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns

Quote Originally Posted by tgagneguam View Post
    Mr. Burns is one smart fellow. Many other quotes contained within the article readily demonstrate that. GM is lucky to have him.
    AMEN, BROTHER.

Everytime I read some self-annointed Blog expert spouting about the shortcomings of GM, I think of Larry Burns. The Volt is his brainchild.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Re: I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen: GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns Talks Alternative F

Give this guy a raise!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I Want Nuclear-Generated Hydrogen: GM's R&D Chief Larry Burns Talks Alternative F

the idea is good, needs follow through. gm needs to be atleast 2 or three steps ahead of the game instead of always playing catch up being 5 steps back.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Nuclear power plants produce vast amounts of intensely radioactive waste that will remain so for thousands of years....and a satisfactory means of storing/disposing of it has yet to be devised. So I oppose it until fusion is harnessed. In the meantime, check out today's issue of www.spacedaily.com and see the breakthrough in using sunlight to split water!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally some intelligent thought on the Alt. energy movement. Way to go Burns!!!!!
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Here is something for people to think about.

I don't mind hydrogen as a fuel, but it will take time to build out infrastructure. But I also like the internal combustion engine; I like their sound and how they perform. So I say use hydrogen in ICE's.

But hydrogen has less bang for the buck, so to have the power of a 3.0 V6 in your car you would need to have a V8 of 5.0. Now before you think that is a bad thing, think again. This large V8 does not have to be heavy; in fact it can be much lighter than the 3.0 gasoline engine. Firstly, you scrap the weight of the catalytic converters.

And hydrogen burns weaker, which means the engine does not have to be as strong, so make the engine walls thinner, and there is less power going through the conrods and crank so they downsize too.

And the less energy released in a larger cylinder means less heat soak, which means you, can go to air-cooling. Remember that Porsche gave up air cooling because of emissions controls because an air cooled engine cylinder expanded and contracted more and let gases escape past the rings more, but a hydrogen engine has no bad emissions to keep track of.

And if some steam gets into the oil, like did in steam engines before, you have a small scrubber to separate the water out in the oil filter. So you dump the weight of the radiator and the water in it and in the engine.

Trouble is nobody is serious about doing these things. Only BMW is doing hydrogen ICE's, and they just use their current converted engines. Nobody has purpose designed a Hydrogen ICE to take advantage of these hydrogen benefits.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    Nuclear power plants produce vast amounts of intensely radioactive waste that will remain so for thousands of years....and a satisfactory means of storing/disposing of it has yet to be devised.

Bury it in a place that will be far away from human civilization for hundreds of thousands of years. In the mean time we may come up with an idea to neutralize spent fuel, but we'll definitely find an alternative that's just as efficient or plentiful. We need to use the best technology we have now to ensure we have a future to develop alternatives for. Replace coal, oil and natural gas power with nuclear, wind, geothermal, hydro and solar now until we can do fusion.

I applaud Mr. Buns' intelligence. We need more people like him making decisions in this country.
    Last edited by AndrewGS; 08-20-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I agree, we need more nuclear.

However, we also need more algae-oil! The potential for this bio-fuel is several orders of magnitude beyond corn based ethanol. But, you never hear the candidates talking about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Give this guy a raise!
    Burns works for GM so he must be a retard and a redneck.
    He should work for a dollar.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    Nuclear power plants produce vast amounts of intensely radioactive waste that will remain so for thousands of years....and a satisfactory means of storing/disposing of it has yet to be devised. So I oppose it until fusion is harnessed. In the meantime, check out today's issue of www.spacedaily.com and see the breakthrough in using sunlight to split water!
    Your true colors
    True colors
    True colors
    Shining through

- Cyndi Lauper

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang View Post
    Your true colors
    True colors
    True colors
    Shining through

- Cyndi Lauper
    I don't get it....guess I am dense at times!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

To MonarroSS,

You really need to do some research on H2 powered ICE... cuz your statements are HORRIBLY WRONG. H2 burns FASTER, HOTTER and MORE POWERFULLY than gasoline. Look up the amount of energy contained in H2 vs. Gas BY WEIGHT. You'll find H2 has far more energy.

Your statements about it being less powerfull comes from the fact that most of the H2 fueled ICE that have been shown so far have PURPOSELY been "powered down". The basic problem is, the fuel system has to run at VERY high pressures (like 25,000 PSI) to force enough H2 into the cylinder to equal an equivalent amount (by weight) of gas or diesel. It's not that it can't be done, it has been, but none of the main manufacturers have shown any of those yet.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Handling The Fuel Sell

James Stanford
    19 August 2008
    www.goauto.com.au

General Motors R&D chief discusses the issues with alternative fuels.

He said the various backers were creating a distorted picture of the viability of various alternative technologies that was detrimental.

“What’s happening is that people who like natural gas over-promote natural gas and overly criticise all the other (alternative fuels),” he said.

“The people who like ethanol overly promote ethanol and overly criticise all the other ones. The next thing you know, you’ve got all these people digging their heels in, thinking there’s a single answer and that’s the only thing you should invest in. In fact, we must invest in all of them.”

Click here to continue article

GM vice-president of research & development and strategic planning Larry Burns
    shares a joke with GM Holden chairman and managing director Mark Reuss
    The problem is that we have to prioritize what we work on. Some ideas make more sense and are more achievable in the short term than others. We should prioritize the solutions that are available near term and back burner those that will take decades to develop infrastructure to realize. I'm not suggesting that we stop any research - but spending billions on solutions that are not marketable for decades does not make sense when we have solutions that could free us of our oil dependency (at least the 22% that we purchase from the most objectionable sources). The gentleman from Google who testified in front of the congressional committee on energy really gets it - he also suggested that we need to prioritize the near term solutions.

What say you Larry Burns? How would you prioritize potential solutions including FlexFuel, BioFuels, Plug-in Electrics, Hydrogen Fuel Cell, Natural Gas etc.?
    Last edited by edsuski; 11-22-2008 at 12:02 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information