Hybrid Break-Even Costs Studied: Cadillac Escalade Hybrid $15/gal

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Break-Even Costs Studied: Cadillac Escalade Hybrid $15/gal

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Hybrid Break-Even Costs Studied: Cadillac Escalade Hybrid $15/gal

Inside autos: Hybrid break-even costs studied

Gas prices would have to top $7 per gallon in order for some hybrids to pay for themselves, an automotive Web site says.

An analysis of 43 hybrid models from model years 2003 to 2010 by CarGurus.com showed on average, they cost 17%, or $6,400, more than conventional models.

"There are some good reasons to buy a hybrid, but saving money is not one of them," said Langley Steinert, CEO of CarGurus. "Consumers should know that the premiums they will pay to purchase most hybrids far exceed any costs saved at the pump, even as gas prices climb."

Some extra costs for a hybrid were more out of whack than others. For example, the break-even point for the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid was found to be on average $15 per gallon. For the Nissan Altima Hybrid, it was $9.50 per gallon, CarGurus.com says.

There were some winners, too. Toyota Camry Hybrid showed a break-even point of $4 a gallon. It sells for an average of $3,300 more than its gas-powered counterpart. Likewise, the Ford Escape Hybrid showed a break-even point of $2.50 per gallon. It is $3,500 more than the conventional model.

More at LINK
    Last edited by TuffG929; 03-14-2011 at 02:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Eulentier's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hybrid Break-Even Costs Studied: Cadillac Escalade Hybrid $15/gal

I never understood the reason for buying a 'hybrid' other than the faux green image displayed. If you really want to cut your energy consumption - just buy a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder, turn off the lights at night, eat tofu and relieve yourself while taking a shower instead of using the toilet.
    2007 Chevrolet HHR 2LT Special Edition / 2.4L LE5 Supercharged by ZZP

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

This is one of those totally ridiculous articles written by know-nothings. They should take away his pencil. How did they calculate this, using the savings on one tank of gas? I just built two comparably equipped Escalades and the price difference is $1,150 ($89,090 for hybrid, $85,740 for non-hybrid, $2,200 tax credit). According to the EPA, the fuel savings is $1,009 per year at $3.52/gal. So how's the $15k work?

This also disregards the fact that the single biggest expense in owning a car is depreciation, and hybrids depricate less each year than conventional cars.

I agree that generally hybrids don't save that much money, and it takes a while to break even, but this person's figures are just plain stupid.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hybrid purchases tend to be based on emotion, rarely on a financial case.

Maybe the Escalade Hybrid is available so the buyer can feel less guilty about driving a massive SUV.

Too bad Hummer is gone ... an H2 Hybrid would trump this.

Thanks
    My Ride
    AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by Eulentier View Post
    I never understood the reason for buying a 'hybrid' other than the faux green image displayed. If you really want to cut your energy consumption - just buy a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder, turn off the lights at night, eat tofu and relieve yourself while taking a shower instead of using the toilet.
    so true!

think of someone that you consider to be of average intelligence...
    half the worlds population is stupider than that person.

I own and drive classics, check them here:
    Hidden Content

GMi RIA concept cars i designed:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eulentier View Post
    Great advice.... and I starting following them.

Although, I'm suddenly having trouble with a clogged drain in my shower. There is just this giant pile of brown globby stuff blocking it. I just can't figure it out.

Maybe the 2 girls 1 cup chicks can help me fix it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

So they're saying that gas would have to be $X.XX or the vehicle will never pay for itself? That doesn't make sense, not sure I understand how they're calculating this. They must be assuming a constant miles driven or something like that I would think.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    This is one of those totally ridiculous articles written by know-nothings. They should take away his pencil. How did they calculate this, using the savings on one tank of gas? I just built two comparably equipped Escalades and the price difference is $1,150 ($89,090 for hybrid, $85,740 for non-hybrid, $2,200 tax credit). According to the EPA, the fuel savings is $1,009 per year at $3.52/gal. So how's the $15k work?

This also disregards the fact that the single biggest expense in owning a car is depreciation, and hybrids depricate less each year than conventional cars.

I agree that generally hybrids don't save that much money, and it takes a while to break even, but this person's figures are just plain stupid.
    The Escalade starts @ $63,000 + base MSRP. The Escalade Hybrid starts @ $73,000 + base MSRP. Don't know what you built...
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    The Escalade starts @ $63,000 + base MSRP. The Escalade Hybrid starts @ $73,000 + base MSRP. Don't know what you built...
    Most people aren't buying base Escalades most of the time though.

|And the other thing is that not every car purchase is about saving money. If I wanted to save money I would buy a 10 year old Civic. But I don't.

Also, it depends on the situation. When I delivered pizza and drove 200 plus miles per night, a hybrid would have been awesome. If you drive 90 percent of the time on the highway, then a hybrid isn't the answer either, but not everyone has the same circumstances and driving habits.

And nobody buys an Escalade of any trim for gas savings.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by logansowner View Post
    Most people aren't buying base Escalades most of the time though.

|And the other thing is that not every car purchase is about saving money. If I wanted to save money I would buy a 10 year old Civic. But I don't.

Also, it depends on the situation. When I delivered pizza and drove 200 plus miles per night, a hybrid would have been awesome. If you drive 90 percent of the time on the highway, then a hybrid isn't the answer either, but not everyone has the same circumstances and driving habits.

And nobody buys an Escalade of any trim for gas savings.
    So they buy an Escalade Hybrid to save pizza? Where do you people come from.
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

The greener choice is to not buy a new car. The greenest choice involves truly drastic action.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    So they buy an Escalade Hybrid to save pizza? Where do you people come from.
    Don't be purposely stupid.

A hybrid Escalade doesn't make financial sense to anyone. You buy that because you want it. When someone talks about a hybrid being beneficial to them, do you really think they were talking about a luxury SUV? I meant like a Fusion hybrid, or Prius or something normal.

D C
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by red_rider View Post
    So they're saying that gas would have to be $X.XX or the vehicle will never pay for itself? That doesn't make sense, not sure I understand how they're calculating this. They must be assuming a constant miles driven or something like that I would think.
    Agreed. Without details on their assumptions, it's just baseless propaganda and not worth the pixels it's written with.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
    Hybrid purchases tend to be based on emotion, rarely on a financial case.
    That's the same reason people buy Corvettes and Camaros.

I own a hybrid. Like most everyone who bought one, it's to pollute less, not to save gas. The only people who think a hybrid purchase is about saving money are the people who hate hybrids.

Though I will say, getting between 28 and 33mpg driving around the city in a Ford Escape is nice. And starting next year, isn't Ford selling its hybrids and non-hybrids for the same price?
    Current Hidden Content
    2013 Chevy Spark
    2010 Honda Odyssey
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

R.I.P. Hidden Content
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid (given to my brother)
    1999 Honda Elite (stolen)
    1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1996 Honda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    1995 Honda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

When somebody tells you they bought a new car to save money, they didn't do the math. Whether it is a hybrid or a conventional car, you cannot save enough money to offset the depreciation. You just lose less with an economical conventional car. My used 08 Impala gets mid 20s in general driving and low 30s on the highway. There is no car built that will get enough fuel mileage to offset the additional cost of owning it and it would be a little cracker box.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information