How Much is Your Charge Charging You?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: How Much is Your Charge Charging You?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    October 5, 2012

OnStar is testing an app capable of telling Chevrolet Volt owners how much it costs to charge their battery – and compare the Volt’s energy use with the total energy consumed in their home by day, month or year.

The new app, called EcoHub, will initially be tested with and available to residents of the Pecan Street demonstration project, a smart grid living community in Austin.

“For the first time we’re able to put one of our Smart Grid solutions into the hands of actual consumers, thanks in part to our partnership with Pecan Street,” said Paul Pebbles, global manager, Electric Vehicle and Smart Grid Services. “Down the line, we hope this app can be a beneficial tool for all drivers of electric vehicles.”

The EcoHub app works by pulling overall home energy usage data, provided by an energy data source, such as a utility or smart meter company. The app also collects Volt charging information from OnStar subscribers and Volt owners who opt in for EcoHub. The energy use data is then aggregated to show vehicle owners exactly how much energy is being used on a daily, monthly or yearly basis, while showing what percentage of that energy went to charging the Volt. Based on electricity rates, the data is broken down to show the cost of both total energy usage and Volt charging energy use.

The 2013 Volt can travel an average of 38 miles on one full electric charge before its onboard gas-powered electric generator seamlessly switches on.

“We’ve found that Volt owners love to keep track of and compare their personal driving stats, like electric miles driven for example,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet Volt marketing director. “The EcoHub app is another great example of using the vehicle’s embedded technology to provide Volt owners with useful information.”

In addition, the EcoHub app will include a “Ticker” screen that shows drivers the national values for Total Miles Driven, Total EV Miles Driven and Gallons of Fuel Saved.

“The ‘Ticker’ screen is a nice addition because it allows drivers to see that they are part of a national effort to reduce fuel use by contributing to the growing number of electric miles driven.” said Pebbles.

While the app will be tested with and only be available to Volt drivers in Pecan Street project at first, OnStar hopes to make the app available for all Volt owners in the near future.

OnStar’s Smart Grid research is made possible by the U.S. Department of Energy.

Video available at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: How Much is Your Charge Charging You?

So what can be done with this data to help out owners?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    So what can be done with this data to help out owners?
    Some utility's charge less for power during the night time so you could set up a timer and charge your car when the powers is the cheapest. This is just one thought on usage info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Blink1.jpgAll I have to do is look at my BLiNK charger, or access it over the internet, and I know what my average, mtd, and previous month are.
    -
    2012 Equinox LT/2.4L/Auto/MyLink
    2013 Volt #8604 Silver Topaz Metallic/Navi/Bose/Premium/Pkg1/Pkg2 - Cruising at 4mi/KwHr, costing $.11/KwHr - Hidden Content
    2013 Cruze Eco/1.4T/6spd/MyLink - averaging 36.6mpg combined

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Some utility's charge less for power during the night time so you could set up a timer and charge your car when the powers is the cheapest. This is just one thought on usage info.
    Actually the Volt already has a few charging options including delayed charging and you can also program into the car the times for peak, mid-peak and off peak electric rates and tell the car the preferred charging times.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I have two buddies with Leafs, Leaves... (I know). Both of them said their electricity bill have gone up about $30 bucks. Not even worth talking about really.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    I have two buddies with Leafs, Leaves... (I know). Both of them said their electricity bill have gone up about $30 bucks. Not even worth talking about really.
    Yep - pretty negligible. My bill went up about $20-22/month.
    When you consider I no longer pay $200-220/mo in gas (when it was like $3.29 - $3.49 or so) that's pretty good!
    -
    2012 Equinox LT/2.4L/Auto/MyLink
    2013 Volt #8604 Silver Topaz Metallic/Navi/Bose/Premium/Pkg1/Pkg2 - Cruising at 4mi/KwHr, costing $.11/KwHr - Hidden Content
    2013 Cruze Eco/1.4T/6spd/MyLink - averaging 36.6mpg combined

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Blink1.jpgAll I have to do is look at my BLiNK charger, or access it over the internet, and I know what my average, mtd, and previous month are.
    That's pretty cool. What's really cool is that for less than $25 you got the equivalent of 33 gallons of gasoline! What's beyond belief is that people still want this car to fail.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,269 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I think a lot of the apps value would be for "stat junkies" or Ppl trying to know there "ECO impact" more then the DOLLAR cost

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Trek 7.5FX

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    That's pretty cool. What's really cool is that for less than $25 you got the equivalent of 33 gallons of gasoline! What's beyond belief is that people still want this car to fail.
    That's the head scratcher. That, and the fact that the Volt is US designed, US made and exported to the world from the US yet it is evil.

Thanks
    My Ride
    09 Vue, 16 Equinox.

I, for one, am banking on it being successful. Am hoping to be able to get one when my current lease is up (sure hope it will be less costly to lease or buy then).
    "Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense"

'09 Vue, '11 Malibu LTZ.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    I think my electric bill for charging my Volt MIGHT have gone up a whole five bucks. I seriously cannot tell the difference before and after.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    These are the same people that hold on to the dead hope that gasoline will once again be a buck a gallon, and blindly hate anything that is remotely associated with the environmental movement. The latter I place fully on the shoulders of the environmentalists due to their attitudes and actions.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voltastic View Post
    That's the head scratcher. That, and the fact that the Volt is US designed, US made and exported to the world from the US yet it is evil.
    Such a shame, isn't it?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Imagine this coupled to home or business rooftop solar power generation, making the best use of the daytime hours.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information