Hawaii's weather, high gasoline costs lure electric vehicles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii's weather, high gasoline costs lure electric vehicles

Thanks

Hawaii's weather, high gasoline costs lure electric vehicles

BY TIM HIGGINS
    FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

HONOLULU — Hawaiians like to think of themselves as early adopters — especially when it comes to electricity.

The first car imported to Hawaii in 1899 was an electric vehicle.

The royal Iolani Palace, home to the former king, lays claim to having electricity installed less than seven years after Thomas Edison invented the first practical light bulb.

Now, state officials and business leaders want Hawaii to become the real-world test ground for a burgeoning electric and alternative-fuel car industry.

Hawaii’s goal is to have 50,000 electric cars on the road by 2015 — and perhaps as many as 200,000 by 2030 — and to establish a network of electric charging stations.

Article continues at link....

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...ctric-vehicles

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/gr...C415917166.JPG
    Last edited by plane; 06-06-2010 at 09:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: Hawaii's weather, high gasoline costs lure electric vehicles

Interesting article - including the historical perspective.

Pretty solid example of where a need shaped by an 'alternative' combination of operating factors...... could be met by an alternative combination of solutions.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

What a rotten job that would be! Imagine getting paid to live in Hawaii and conduct research into cutting-edge vehicle technology. It would be pure hell. Such are the sacrifices the few make for the benefit of the many.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice to see. With all that vulcanism they could emulate Iceland with geothermal generation of the electricity for the cars.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    Nice to see. With all that vulcanism they could emulate Iceland with geothermal generation of the electricity for the cars.

I was going to say the same thing. I have no idea why they are not making more use of the geothermic resources they have.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Being born and raised in Hawaii I have been saying this for YEARS! Finally they are actually trying to do something. Jeeez. There is absolutely no reason, what so ever, for any use of petroleum fueled ANYTHING in Hawaii. Between Geothermal, ocean current and tide, wind, solar and ethanol, add to that the short range of daily driving, no excuses.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
    Being born and raised in Hawaii I have been saying this for YEARS! Finally they are actually trying to do something. Jeeez. There is absolutely no reason, what so ever, for any use of petroleum fueled ANYTHING in Hawaii. Between Geothermal, ocean current and tide, wind, solar and ethanol, add to that the short range of daily driving, no excuses.
    It still takes oil to get a Boeing 747 airborne. However I didn't realize that Hawaii has so much potential energy to exploit.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 877 Posts

Speaking of ethanol, is there still some sugarcane cultivated in Hawaii so they could produce ethanol like Brazil?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    Speaking of ethanol, is there still some sugarcane cultivated in Hawaii so they could produce ethanol like Brazil?
    Not sure about the Big Island, but Oahu has stopped Sugar Cane production almost a decade ago. Pineapples are almost done too. Weird, the two things that caused the overthrow of Hawaii are no longer going to even be produced there. But I wouldn't pursue Sugar Cane for ethanol, I would use a switch grass or something that would grow with little assistance and rapidly and pursue cellulosic ethanol. I figure it'd be cheaper.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

The thing I like about it is that they are not banking on one way out of oil, they are using all the weapons at their disposal. That way that will not be victimized by high oil prices. Hopefully they will succeed but either way there is a lot we can learn from this experiment, regardless of outcome.

Thanks

Not sure about the Big Island, but Oahu has stopped Sugar Cane production almost a decade ago. Pineapples are almost done too. Weird, the two things that caused the overthrow of Hawaii are no longer going to even be produced there. But I wouldn't pursue Sugar Cane for ethanol, I would use a switch grass or something that would grow with little assistance and rapidly and pursue cellulosic ethanol. I figure it'd be cheaper.
    I did not know until a few years ago that Hawaii had been an island nation in the fullest sense, and was taken by force by the U.S....funny how they left that part out in history class!

Is the moving away from sugar cane and pineapple due to a drop in rainfall like that that has been plaguing Florida for 20 years now? Economics? I see that Hawaii seems to be the sole source of a controversial GM papaya. I grow LOTS of papaya as a staple here, use most green raw or cooked, just a few ripe, imagine they grow VERY well there.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Since Hawaii needs electrical power ... consider this:

Definitely worth the time to watch!

"gordonmcdowell — November 17, 2009 — Thorium is readily available & can be turned into energy without generating transuranic wastes. Thorium's capacity as nuclear fuel was discovered during WW II, but ignored because it was unsuitable for making bombs. A liquid-fluoride thorium reactor (LFTR) is the optimal approach for harvesting energy from Thorium, and has the potential to solve today's energy/climate crisis. This 16 minute video is summarizes 197 minutes worth of Google Tech Talks on the subject of Thorium & LFTR."

Provided I understood the presentation correctly, there are already thousand of TONS of thorium already PREPROCESSED in stockpiles (a waste product) as a result of PRIOR US nuclear weapons programs.

IF, this presentation is true ... a few modular mass produced LFTRs could probably provide 80% of electrical and 50% ground transport energy needs for Hawaii ... potentially reducing their petroleum consumption 30% to 40%.

Plus the opportunity for regional thermal energy utilities using "waste" heat from the LFTRs.
    Last edited by 44 mpg by 2010; 06-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I did not know until a few years ago that Hawaii had been an island nation in the fullest sense, and was taken by force by the U.S....funny how they left that part out in history class!

Is the moving away from sugar cane and pineapple due to a drop in rainfall like that that has been plaguing Florida for 20 years now? Economics? I see that Hawaii seems to be the sole source of a controversial GM papaya. I grow LOTS of papaya as a staple here, use most green raw or cooked, just a few ripe, imagine they grow VERY well there.
    Actually, the overthrow was by civilians!

The U.S annexed Hawaii after the overthrow, which gave those Civilians the right to buy land for agricultural use. The Civilian companies paid off the U.S Ambassador that was in Hawaii at the time and they paid off the commander of the Pacific fleet that was stationed at Pearl Harbor at the time too. So when the civilian companies "security forces" went to overthrow the Hawaiian Government they appeared to have the backing of the U.S.A. So, the Hawaiian Government saw the U.S Navy was supporting the civilian companies and decided not to fight a war with the U.S (smart move) and forfeited before any bloodshed. However, it was greed by some civilian companies (who are wildly supported to this day) that caused the overthrow of Hawaii. It was never the intention of the U.S to overtake Hawaii, but it was the best thing to ever happen to Hawaii too. And this is coming from a Hawaiian of royal decent (the next Queen of Hawaii was my great great grandma).

There's a lot to the story, but this thread is getting off topic. And it'd take me way to long to type all of it in.

I love Papaya's, they grow like wild in Hawaii, along Mango's, Li chi, and Banana's, and other tropical and exotic fruits (Guava). But I hardly eat any of that anymore now that I have moved away from Hawaii to Colorado. I can't eat fruit here, my standards are way too high for me to eat the crap that they sell at the supermarkets here. One day I'll have a heated green house and I'll plant some Papaya, Guava, and Banana tree's in it.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post
    Since Hawaii needs electrical power ... consider this:

Definitely worth the time to watch!

"gordonmcdowell — November 17, 2009 — Thorium is readily available & can be turned into energy without generating transuranic wastes. Thorium's capacity as nuclear fuel was discovered during WW II, but ignored because it was unsuitable for making bombs. A liquid-fluoride thorium reactor (LFTR) is the optimal approach for harvesting energy from Thorium, and has the potential to solve today's energy/climate crisis. This 16 minute video is summarizes 197 minutes worth of Google Tech Talks on the subject of Thorium & LFTR."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWUeBSoEnRk

Provided I understood the presentation correctly, there are already thousand of TONS of thorium already PREPROCESSED in stockpiles (a waste product) as a result of PRIOR US nuclear weapons programs.

IF, this presentation is true ... a few modular mass produced LFTRs could probably provide 80% of electrical and 50% ground transport energy needs for Hawaii ... potentially reducing their petroleum consumption 30% to 40%.

Plus the opportunity for regional thermal energy utilities using "waste" heat from the LFTRs.
    Thanks for this as I am a huge advocate of retrofitting existing nuke plants with this technology plus building more. Cool too that it does not make materials for nuke warheads, and its waste is MUCH less radioactive. The US has vast reserves of thorium.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Actually, the overthrow was by civilians!

The U.S annexed Hawaii after the overthrow, which gave those Civilians the right to buy land for agricultural use. The Civilian companies paid off the U.S Ambassador that was in Hawaii at the time and they paid off the commander of the Pacific fleet that was stationed at Pearl Harbor at the time too. So when the civilian companies "security forces" went to overthrow the Hawaiian Government they appeared to have the backing of the U.S.A. So, the Hawaiian Government saw the U.S Navy was supporting the civilian companies and decided not to fight a war with the U.S (smart move) and forfeited before any bloodshed. However, it was greed by some civilian companies (who are wildly supported to this day) that caused the overthrow of Hawaii. It was never the intention of the U.S to overtake Hawaii, but it was the best thing to ever happen to Hawaii too. And this is coming from a Hawaiian of royal decent (the next Queen of Hawaii was my great great grandma).

There's a lot to the story, but this thread is getting off topic. And it'd take me way to long to type all of it in.

I love Papaya's, they grow like wild in Hawaii, along Mango's, Li chi, and Banana's, and other tropical and exotic fruits (Guava). But I hardly eat any of that anymore now that I have moved away from Hawaii to Colorado. I can't eat fruit here, my standards are way too high for me to eat the crap that they sell at the supermarkets here. One day I'll have a heated green house and I'll plant some Papaya, Guava, and Banana tree's in it.
    Thanks for the history lesson, and cool that you are a TRUE Hawaiian. I hated Colorado's climate....my heart goes out to you as for 8 years I have been in LOVE with being back home in my native WARM Florida

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information