Green Motors

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Motors

Thanks

Green Motors

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Green Motors

Good find; it was a pretty fair article.

Thanks

Wow! It's nice to not see Toyota on that list.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 montrealvue's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn, why can't the regular Equinox look like that?
    '87 Merc Tracer '88 Toyota Tercel '89 VW Golf '94 Saturn SL '97 Pontiac Grand Am '00 Olds Silhouette '02 Dodge Intrepid '04 Chev Malibu '06 Saturn Vue '08 Toyota Sienna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montrealvue
    ...+1

Thanks

Didn't you know? GM likes to put all their design recourses into vehicles that are never intended to be brought to production *coughcadillacsixteencough*

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I-Love-Pontiac
    Wow! It's nice to not see Toyota on that list.
    The electric Rav4 was on the list... that's the one that Toyota killed at the same time GM killed the EV1. Most of the media won't tell you that, but props to this article for mentioning it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronald mcretard
    The electric Rav4 was on the list... that's the one that Toyota killed at the same time GM killed the EV1. Most of the media won't tell you that, but props to this article for mentioning it.
    Well I mean Toyota as a whole. If GM as a company made number one, you would think that Toyota would be at least number 2 or something. But nope. They're not even there!

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Good article, and it has said many true things. However "surrendered it's title to Toyota this year?". The year is not over yet, GM will pull through as No. 1. Anyway, definitely this is something that shows GM just deviated from what it should be focusing on; the potential is there, GM is the leader on a lot of technologies. The key is applying it and marketing it to the advantage. GM is best positioned out of all the car companies for growth and taking back some of it's lost share in the US.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC newclasshero's Avatar
    Thanks

GM hasn't won over all the skeptics. Sticking a hybrid engine in a jumbo SUV is "putting lipstick on a pig," says Ronald Hwang, vehicle policy director for the Natural Resources Defense Council, who argues that if GM is green serious, it should give up SUVs and build more efficient cars. But other activists welcome the effort. "I'm an equal-opportunity environmentalist, and I'll take carbon reductions where I can get them," says DeCicco. They agree, however, that GM passed up a chance to cement its green rep by failing to support efforts to tighten the federal corporate average-fuel-economy standards. Green darling Toyota has also opposed the proposed new rules, which call for a 35 mpg. (6.7 L/100 km) standard by 2020.
    Ronald HWanger forgot about the logic involved, namley:

The company began producing hybrid buses in 2004, using the technology to boost fuel economy on those big, inefficient vehicles where it would have a big, immediate impact.
    Yep, another case of another analyst making sure to not look at the bigger picture. Luckily he has a slick NGO, title and website to make his ignorance not look as much like lipstick on a pig. I don't suppose that he has told the local municipalities that buy the hybrid buses that their decision is not helping the environment.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '72 LT1/T56 Vega

Decent article. GM is still #1 and GM is also no longer burdened by the huge legacy costs previous to the new UAW contract. Touch!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

GM still needs to pay for the VEBA, so it isnt exactly what you'd say as free of legacy costs.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    GM still needs to pay for the VEBA, so it isnt exactly what you'd say as free of legacy costs.
    True, but GM doesn't have to pay as much as before. So profits are going to continue to grow. This is definately a better situation for GM.

Chris Paine will be watching. His next film is titled Who Saved the Electric Car?, but there's one obstacle. "We have to find out if someone actually is saving it," he says. It might just be GM. What better hero than a reformed villain?
    I like this paragraph. GM is changing perception and this is how you know it. The guy that made the anti-GM "Who Killed The Electric Car" movie is actually supporting GM now. Even he admits he was wrong about GM (in a round about way).
    Last edited by hrcslam; 10-12-2007 at 04:21 AM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 SigEpCutlass's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Buick Regal GS Manual

Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam
    True, but GM doesn't have to pay as much as before. So profits are going to continue to grow. This is definately a better situation for GM.

I like this paragraph. GM is changing perception and this is how you know it. The guy that made the anti-GM "Who Killed The Electric Car" movie is actually supporting GM now. Even he admits he was wrong about GM (in a round about way).
    I found it especially interesting that the EV1 guy seems to be coming around to GM's new technologies. I wonder if he's going to be first in line for a Volt?
    - Mike K.

Current:
    2012 Buick Regal GS 6spd MANUAL - Oshawa, Ontario
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L- Windsor, Ontario

Past GMs:
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Doraville, GA

BUICK - Going fast with class!
    Yes, I'm a married man in my 30's...a Buick marketer's dream customer!

"I don't view Toyota as an insurmountable obstacle that GM can't vanquish." - MAXIMUM Bob Lutz

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 973 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

I wish it DID look like that as well. The Torrent lights with the Chevy split-grille is a nice combination.

Maybe they'll refresh it that way for an MCE at some point before the entire vehicle is redesigned.
    Quote Originally Posted by newclasshero
    Ronald HWanger forgot about the logic involved, namley:

Yep, another case of another analyst making sure to not look at the bigger picture. Luckily he has a slick NGO, title and website to make his ignorance not look as much like lipstick on a pig. I don't suppose that he has told the local municipalities that buy the hybrid buses that their decision is not helping the environment.
    Excellent points newclasshero.

Just to add to the bus v. car argument/scenario:

I went to a meeting called "A Conversation on Energy" in which the NJ Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner (Lisa Jackson) made some rough comments about business, industry, crumbling inner-cities and how we need to "do more, be more focused, etc" in fighting pollution.

Yet a person representing business and industry said that the government was playing politics with it all; instead of focusing monies and resources where drastic cuts make a huge impact in CO2/energy consumption/environmental concerns, they give it to homeowners to "make their homes green".

The proof? NJ gave over $56 million to home-owners for more efficient oil heaters, better insulation, gas furnaces, etc, etc. The state also gave roughly $21 million to businesses to do the same thing. The result? The Businesses saved SIX TIMES the amount of energy and increased efficiency by leaps and bounds even though they got less than half the amount of money the home-owners got. Why? Because businesses have economies of scale for larger warehouses, factories, office buildings, etc.

So why does government continually give to homes instead of business? Politics. It looks better to constituents to make them feel better about what their government is doing to save the planet in their own backyard than make marked improvement in progress through real-world scenarios.

Just a load of crap.
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information