The Good News about Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Achieved

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good News about Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Achieved

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

The Good News about Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Achieved

Highly significant.

Press Release quoted in full.

UTC Power Attains 5,000-Hour Durability Milestone With Transit Bus Fuel Cell System

SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn., Jan. 13, 2010

– UTC Power, a United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX) company, today announced one of its latest generation PureMotion® Model 120 fuel cell powerplants for hybrid-electric transit buses has surpassed 5,000 operating hours in real-world service with its original cell stacks and no cell replacements.

This powerplant is aboard an Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) bus operating in the Greater Oakland, California area.

According to UTC Power Vice President-Transportation Ken Stewart, "Stack durability matters."

"It is recognized by the industry as a key challenge in commercializing fuel cell vehicles worldwide."

"The last time we serviced the stacks in that bus, all of the candidates for President still had nine months of campaigning to do."

UTC Power has significantly improved fuel cell stack durability and we’re confident that our progress will continue."

AC Transit Interim General Manager Mary King commented, "This is an important milestone for our program that shows the steady progress of fuel cell technology and its potential value to urban transit fleets."

Three of AC Transit’s buses are equipped with UTC Power fuel cell systems and have now traveled more than 213,000 miles, with an average fuel economy that is 65 percent better than the control fleet of diesel buses running the same routes and duty cycles.

Fuel cell buses have a significant effect on reducing greenhouse gases, ranging from a 43 percent reduction over diesel buses if hydrogen is supplied from the reformation of natural gas, up to a 100 percent reduction when hydrogen is generated from on-site renewable sources like solar and wind power.

A recent report on worldwide hydrogen bus demonstration programs completed on behalf of the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Transit Administration < - and ignored by almost all the battery humpin' media > noted that zero-emission buses performed well across a wide range of operating conditions, including hilly and flat terrain, hot and cold temperatures and high and low-speed duty cycles.

There were no major safety issues over millions of miles of vehicle service, and most participants found that drivers preferred fuel cell buses to compressed natural gas or diesel, noting their smooth ride, ease of operation, strong acceleration and ability to maneuver well in traffic.

"Demonstrations of fuel cell buses in real-world service significantly lower greenhouse gases today and are essential to commercial fuel cell product introductions in the future," Stewart said.

"We are extremely pleased to have a visionary company like AC Transit as a partner and look forward to many more years of a successful collaboration in advancing fuel cell bus technology."

UTC Power has provided fuel cell power plants for fleet transportation since 1998 and its fuel cells have powered buses in the United States, Spain, Italy and Belgium.

The company’s latest-generation proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell system has delivered more than 350,000 miles of commercial service for city transit bus fleets.

UTC Power is part of United Technologies Corp., which provides energy-efficient products and services to the aerospace and building industries.

Based in South Windsor, Conn., UTC Power is a world leader in developing and producing fuel cells for on-site power at buildings and for transportation applications.

AC Transit serves more than 1.5 million people in 13 cities (including Oakland and Berkeley) and two counties in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area.

With a fleet of 634 buses, it carries more than 67 million passengers annually.
    http://www.utcpower.com/fs/com/bin/f...1,0325,00.html

Good news about the superior longterm alternative.

Given what else has been developing .............. including more accurate and hugely larger natural gas estimates for the USA - this is part of what actually makes sense.

The solar / wind etc for certain parts of the world and our country is a natural and has also enjoyed some significant practical progress of late.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-13-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: The Good News abouy Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Acheived

That is a breakthrough and the future of Energy, if not over-regulated!

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: The Good News abouy Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Acheived

- and related.

Honda CEO: Honda Studying Battery Electric Commuter Car, But Holds Fuel Cell Vehicle as the “Ultimate Eco-car”
    11 January 2010

In his remarks prior to the unveiling of the new CR-Z hybrid (earlier post), Honda Motor President and CEO Takanobu Ito said that the company has taken up the challenge to reduce CO2 emissions through advancing various electromotive technologies.

“We understand electric vehicle technology as well as anyone,” Ito said, referencing the development of the EV Plus electric vehicle in the 1990s and its leasing to individual customers in California.

Honda is currently conducting research on a short-distance battery electric vehicle as a “city commuter car.” (Earlier post.)

Battery technology continues to be a barrier to mass market use. < - and material supply >

But we’re studying the US market with a view to introducing this commuter car in the future.

We continue to believe that a fuel cell electric vehicle is the ultimate solution to reduce CO2 emissions.

A fuel cell car is a full electric vehicle...The development cost must come down and there must be a major expansion of the hydrogen fueling infrastructure.

But make no mistake.

As a vehicle, the Honda FCX Clarity [earlier post] is ready now.

Further, Honda is unique in making long-term investments to develop the refueling infrastructure for alternative fuel vehicles.

This month, we will begin operation of a next-generation solar hydrogen station at our Los Angeles R&D center.

This compact system was designed for daily home refueling of a fuel cell electric vehicle.

Honda engineers were able to eliminate the compressor entirely to greatly reduce the size of the system to fit in the user’s garage.

The potential of a solar hydrogen station is one reason a fuel cell electric vehicle is the ultimate eco-car—the best path to reduce CO2.

But in the near term, the most important approach to cut CO2 emissions is expanding the use of hybrid electric vehicles.

To increase the opportunity for more customers to choose a hybrid, we must be able to meet different needs with family, luxury and sporty hybrid vehicles.

We will apply hybrid systems which are compact, lightweight and affordable to a wider range of products in the near future.

—President Ito

President Ito, an engineer by training, worked on developing the chassis for the first-generation Honda CRX in the early 1980s.

His career at Honda has included being appointed Executive Vice President, Honda R&D Americas, Inc. in 1998, and Managing Director of Honda R&D Co., Ltd. in 2000.

He was working in Ohio 10 years ago on the development of the first-generation Acura MDX.

Times have changed, but the idea of developing vehicles that are both fun to drive and fuel efficient is alive and well.

—President Ito

© 2004-2010 Green Car Congress
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...-20100111.html

I'll say this about ole' Honda - the only one in the industry with a set of stones big enough to go after what we really need done - ie non oil, non battery, non centralized capital, and non centralized energy production solutions.

In otherwords, a solution that doesn't need or further any of the manifold Goldman Sach's scams, thumbs its nose at the much worse than useless rest of the American Financial Sector, everybody in the ME, most of the big conventional energy industry and doesn't require strategic material reliance on China.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-13-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

How does this compare to the systems that Ballard Power has been producing and developing?

Ballard claims to have ~1.2 million miles of revenue service from fuel cell powered buses.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Its just a matter of time before Hydrogen goes into full produciton. these hybrids/plug-ins are just a bandaid fix.

I found this pretty interesting too..
    http://www.algenolbiofuels.com/default.html
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    How does this compare to the systems that Ballard Power has been producing and developing?
    There are actually 20 hydrogen-powered buses that use the Ballard fuel cells being showcased in Whistler as part of the Olympics. It's part of a five year pilot project.

What I found disconcerting is that the hydrogen for the buses is being shipped in from Quebec.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    There are actually 20 hydrogen-powered buses that use the Ballard fuel cells being showcased in Whistler as part of the Olympics. It's part of a five year pilot project.

What I found disconcerting is that the hydrogen for the buses is being shipped in from Quebec.
    I read the releases on the buses being used for the Olympics. That could be a very good product demonstration and way to get more publicity as the world watches.

Also, just to point out, Ballard offers a 12,000 hour/5 year warranty on their hydrogen fuel cells.
    Last edited by calgaryhhr; 01-13-2010 at 04:05 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

Hydrogen and a fuel cell stack are approximately accomplishing the same thing as a battery. I'm all for some competition. Whatever works better will win and we'll benefit as consumers. I wish more fuel cell news was available. It doesn't seem to get much press anymore. Maybe when GM makes a fuel cell Volt for China we'll see more progress in autos.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Re: The Good News about Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Acheived

Okay, so I understand that the breakthrough is about generating hydrogen at positive energy balance and storing it safely and without losses for a long time.

Otherwise, I've made myself a breakthrough instant coffee using a breakthrough electric kettle this morning. Over 6,000 coffees were made using water boiled in it!

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: The Good News about Hydrogen continues - Significant Fuel Cell Milestone Acheived

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    Otherwise, I've made myself a breakthrough instant coffee using a breakthrough electric kettle this morning. Over 6,000 coffees were made using water boiled in it!
    That sounds incredible. Is this some sort of Polish speciality? I should ask my family if they could send me one of these along with a few bottles of spirytus rektyfikowany.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    - and related.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...-20100111.html

I'll say this about ole' Honda - the only one in the industry with a set of stones big enough to go after what we really need done - ie non oil, non battery, non centralized capital, and non centralized energy production solutions.

In otherwords, a solution that doesn't need or further any of the manifold Goldman Sach's scams, thumbs its nose at the much worse than useless rest of the American Financial Sector, anybody in the ME, most of the big conventional energy industry and doesn't require strategic material reliance on China.
    AGREED!
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks

A few problems:

Most hydrogen comes from fossil fuels or is split from water by energy supplied with fossil fuels. Methane gas is the main source of hydrogen.

The most common method of hydrogen production involves the formation of syngas from fossil fuels. Syngas is produced through steam reformation of methane or coal. In fact, this is the most common way of producing hydrogen in today's economy. The combination of methane steam and oxygen leads to syngas, which consists of carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas (2).

How many hydrogen "gas stations" are there? Where's the infrastructure? Oh yeah, years away.

Let's ask Honda how much hydrogen fuel cell cars cost to build: about $1,000,000 apiece.

Hydrogen is, right now and for the forseeable future, a pipe dream in search of a pipe. It will not get us away from fossil fuels and it will not be cheap. I don't dislike the idea, just the hype. Some of the facts are getting left behind as the oil companies and the Government roll out the fallacy of a hydrogen economy. I wish it weren't that way, but hydrogen has "20 year away" for more than 30 years. I'm not holding my breath.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" - Will Rogers

"Fearful men seek the sacred mountains,
    sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines" - Buddha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    Its just a matter of time before Hydrogen goes into full produciton.
    Yep! Within 20 years....that's what they've been telling us.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" - Will Rogers

"Fearful men seek the sacred mountains,
    sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines" - Buddha

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Hold on to your horses, boys... rumor has it that the scientists who model climate change claim that water vapor can contribute virtually identical global warming trends to the emissions from internal combustion engines.....

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn69 View Post
    Yep! Within 20 years....that's what they've been telling us.
    Oh nooooo, not again.....

Wheels - The Nuts and Bolts of Whatever Moves You

January 11, 2010, 10:26 am

Detroit Auto Show: Toyota Promises ‘Affordable’ Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Vehicle

By JERRY GARRETT

DETROIT — Toyota announced here on Monday that it plans to begin public sales of an “affordable,” highly fuel-efficient hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle in the United States by 2015 – or sooner, if refueling infrastructure becomes available.

“We plan to come to market in 2015, or earlier, with a vehicle that will be reliable and durable, with exceptional fuel economy and zero emissions, at an affordable price,” said Irv Miller, Toyota North America spokesman, at a press conference at the North American International Auto Show.

Toyota’s development of a fuel-cell vehicle has outpaced the means to refuel it, Mr. Miller added, “and building an extensive hydrogen refueling infrastructure is the critical next step.”

Toyota previously announced plans, with the California Fuel Cell Partnership, to develop a network of at least 46 public refueling stations in four southern California communities in hopes of forming the nucleus of a refueling infrastructure.

American Honda is also a partner in the program.

Since 2008, its FCX Clarity fuel-cell vehicle has been available in limited numbers for lease in the Los Angeles area, where about 16 refueling stations operate.

Toyota also announced Monday that it is starting a pilot program in California and New York to place in service “more than 100” Toyota fuel-cell hybrids, called the FCHV-advanced.

The vehicles will find homes at universities, government agencies and private companies that are also working to advance fuel-cell technology and use.

Already, Toyota has 20 of its first-generation FCHVs, for which development began in 2002, in a similar program in California.

The second-generation FCHV-adv was introduced in 2008.

Toyota has reported rapid advancement in the car’s capabilities and says models in testing achieve fuel economy equivalent to 68 miles per gallon, and a range of 431 miles, on a single fill of compressed hydrogen gas.

* Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company
    * NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...-cell-vehicle/
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-13-2010 at 06:13 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast