GM's solution to the Li-On Battery Problem

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM's solution to the Li-On Battery Problem

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

GM's solution to the Li-On Battery Problem

According to Edmund's Green Car Advisor blog GM's solution to the overheating problems with Li-Ion batteries is...

GM's Secret for Safe Lithium-ion Batteries: Cool It! General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz raised eyebrows in battery development circles when he said recently that GM was “100 percent confident” that it has whipped the overheating problem that is hampering development of lithium-ion battery packs for electric and hybrid cars.
    Now the General’s secret can be told.
    Tony Posawatz, vehicle line director for GM's E-Flex electric vehicle platform, told Green Car Advisor during an interview in Detroit that instead of mounting a frontal attack on battery design for the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car that is under development, engineers circled around and attacked from the flank.
    “We’re going to use liquid cooling,” he whispered.
    Running coolant lines through the big array of lithium-ion battery cells that will store energy to propel the Volt and other models built on the E-Flex platform adds cost and isn’t as elegant as developing a battery that won’t overheat, Posawatz admitted. But it is enabling the automaker to keep on its self-appointed schedule: Volts in the market by 2010.
    Failure isn’t an option, he said. GM was recently savaged in the popular documentary, Who Killed the Electric Car?, for its decision to pull the plug on its first modern electric vehicle, the EV1.
    With the Volt, a car Lutz has said will be sold for under $30,000, GM has laid its reputation on the line. Asked if the project could wind up on the cutting room floor, Posawatz shook his head.
    “We’d never live it down,” he said.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Re: The Li-Ion battery problem..GM's solution

Yes lets tell everyone...so then they can do it. Does GM ever shut up about their plans?!
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Yes lets tell everyone...so then they can do it. Does GM ever shut up about their plans?!
    Sadly, I don't think GM can.
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GM's solution to the Li-On Battery Problem

Meh, I'll still be thrilled if GM can pull it off. Cheers to GM for being the first to solve this problem.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

You've got to appreciate GM's moxie and determination to "git 'er done" by whatever means possible. In time, I'm sure the technology will advance to the point where the batteries themselves operate cooler, but in the interim, this may be the most promising solution.

Thanks

News alert: this is not a novel concept. It is interesting that GM is doing it, but it is not like everyone and their cousin hasn't considered the idea.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey it is done when you overclock a CPU...why not do this for the batteries. It is an 'Inventive Idea'.
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"Hidden Content

Thanks

GM most likely has a patent application already on file.
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Gm786's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Future Car Panamera GTS

It's going to be intresting to see how everything works out for the new Chevrolet Volt. Hopefully the Chevy Volt will prove very successful for GM.

Thanks

How is this a secret? The Tesla roadster, on sale this fall, uses liquid cooling.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

There is an old saying in the domestic appliance industry
    "If it's to cold, heat it.
    If it's to hot, cool it"
    "We Probably Could Have Saved Ourselves, But We Were Too Damned Lazy To Try Very Hard......And Too Damn Cheap"

Kurt Vonnegut

"You have to live in another reality to comprehend it. I've abandoned attempts at such comprehension long ago."

Zete GMI Staff Member

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

I'm sure they've gotten a few patents out of this admitedly crude design.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

GM talks WAY too much about products that are still years away. Why? Why can't they just talk about their current products?

The new Chevy ads talking about the Volt is so much hot air on non-existent products, it's maddening. In the software industry, the term they use for this BS is vaporware.

It's time for GM to shut up and deliver. They are setting themselves for a PR disaster when a competitor beats them to the marketplace with a Volt-like product. It happened with AFM just recently.

Mark

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usa1
    GM talks WAY too much about products that are still years away. Why? Why can't they just talk about their current products?

The new Chevy ads talking about the Volt is so much hot air on non-existent products, it's maddening. In the software industry, the term they use for this BS is vaporware.

It's time for GM to shut up and deliver. They are setting themselves for a PR disaster when a competitor beats them to the marketplace with a Volt-like product. It happened with AFM just recently.

Mark

I do agree that GM needs to talk about products that are months away, not years. In regards to AFM or DOD, Honda did beat them before GM reintroduced it. Cadillac had DOD back in 1983.

Thanks

more weight and stuff to break down

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information