GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

  1. #1
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 VibenPontiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Didn't find the article in a search but probably still know by quite a few here already:

    GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent
    Associated Press
    Article Launched: 08/24/2007 07:49:36 AM PDT

    DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it is testing a new combustion process that could increase fuel economy in conventional engines by up to 15 percent.

    The announcement comes as fuel economy has become a increasingly important issue as gasoline prices have risen. Foreign automakers have captured a bigger share of the U.S. market in part by emphasizing fuel efficiency.

    The process GM is testing, called homogeneous charge compression ignition, approaches the fuel efficiency of a diesel engine without the need for advanced pollution controls, the company said in a statement.

    It is being tested in two drivable concept vehicles, a Saturn Aura and an Opel Vectra, and was to be shown to reporters Friday at GM's proving ground in Milford.
    More Here: http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci...nclick_check=1
    "Whenever I’m suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.."

    "This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that's much to shout about. That's like saying 'Oh good, I've got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!"


    Hidden Content

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC newclasshero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    It may not be a repost. They have been working on this for a while... if I remember correctly reading about it about 1 1/2 years ago on GM News. Here a another link. Good idea and something to get excited about if they can get it developed en masse.

    http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/05...fficiency-bum/


  4. #3
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 motorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,081
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    as soon as all gasoline cars get 30/40 MPG do you think the price of gasoline will be where it is now? you can bet it will go up the less gasoline being used and you will be paying the same $$$ per mile you are now. only a fool would think the gasoline will not go up in price.
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 redfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    (OHIO)
    Posts
    1,171
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Quote Originally Posted by motorman
    as soon as all gasoline cars get 30/40 MPG do you think the price of gasoline will be where it is now? you can bet it will go up the less gasoline being used and you will be paying the same $$$ per mile you are now. only a fool would think the gasoline will not go up in price.
    True no matter how many MPG you get the oil companies will jack up the price to make the same profit-CROOKS.
    </IMG>
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    (Jungle Jim Liberman)---------(Bruce USA-1 Larson)
    (Hidden Content )

  7. #5
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Quote Originally Posted by redfox
    True no matter how many MPG you get the oil companies will jack up the price to make the same profit-CROOKS.
    </IMG>
    We can be hopeful, we might still win out by a few dollars each year. lol
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

  8. #6
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,291
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 92 Times in 48 Posts
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Quote Originally Posted by redfox
    True no matter how many MPG you get the oil companies will jack up the price to make the same profit-CROOKS.
    </IMG>

    Lot of ignorance here on oil prices. They work on supply and demand like all other products.

    Seems you guys forgot when a barrel of oil dropped to $10.00 and gasoline was around a dollar just a few years back and corporate profits fell big time. Nobody calling them "crooks" then.The market ,not the oil companies, determined the price.

    As new sources of energy come on line( Butonol for example will sell for about $40 a barrel) demand for oil will be reduced, thus forcing the price down to stay competitive with the new energy sources.

    Prices now are being driven by speculation on the commodities market that refineries will not be able to produce enough gass to keep up with the demand. THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF CRUDE! There is a shortage of refinery capacity.

    Remember ,during the 1950's oil held steady at $3 a barrel because supply was stable with demand. Primarily the Western world had vehicles, and refineries were more than adequate to the task of gasoline production. Now,China and India have rapidly switched from bicycles to autos, but no new refineries have been built to keep gasoline production steady with the new demand, thus a big jump in prices.

    So, don't blame the oil companies, blame the deadheads in Congress and the eviornmental wackos who have blocked refinery construction since 1976!!

  9. #7

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Quote Originally Posted by GMJoe
    Lot of ignorance here on oil prices. They work on supply and demand like all other products.

    Seems you guys forgot when a barrel of oil dropped to $10.00 and gasoline was around a dollar just a few years back and corporate profits fell big time. Nobody calling them "crooks" then.The market ,not the oil companies, determined the price.

    As new sources of energy come on line( Butonol for example will sell for about $40 a barrel) demand for oil will be reduced, thus forcing the price down to stay competitive with the new energy sources.

    Prices now are being driven by speculation on the commodities market that refineries will not be able to produce enough gass to keep up with the demand. THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF CRUDE! There is a shortage of refinery capacity.

    Remember ,during the 1950's oil held steady at $3 a barrel because supply was stable with demand. Primarily the Western world had vehicles, and refineries were more than adequate to the task of gasoline production. Now,China and India have rapidly switched from bicycles to autos, but no new refineries have been built to keep gasoline production steady with the new demand, thus a big jump in prices.

    So, don't blame the oil companies, blame the deadheads in Congress and the eviornmental wackos who have blocked refinery construction since 1976!!


  10. #8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Quote Originally Posted by GMJoe
    Lot of ignorance here on oil prices. They work on supply and demand like all other products.

    Seems you guys forgot when a barrel of oil dropped to $10.00 and gasoline was around a dollar just a few years back and corporate profits fell big time. Nobody calling them "crooks" then.The market ,not the oil companies, determined the price.

    As new sources of energy come on line( Butonol for example will sell for about $40 a barrel) demand for oil will be reduced, thus forcing the price down to stay competitive with the new energy sources.

    Prices now are being driven by speculation on the commodities market that refineries will not be able to produce enough gass to keep up with the demand. THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF CRUDE! There is a shortage of refinery capacity.

    Remember ,during the 1950's oil held steady at $3 a barrel because supply was stable with demand. Primarily the Western world had vehicles, and refineries were more than adequate to the task of gasoline production. Now,China and India have rapidly switched from bicycles to autos, but no new refineries have been built to keep gasoline production steady with the new demand, thus a big jump in prices.

    So, don't blame the oil companies, blame the deadheads in Congress and the eviornmental wackos who have blocked refinery construction since 1976!!
    Of course all this is based on the assumption that demand for oil will not continue to increase at a rapid pace in India and China.

  11. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    8,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Whats the chance of such an engine going into production? Will it cost more than a regular gas engine?
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

  12. #10
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Dano702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    LasVegas
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    As soon as i can buy a new Volt i am writing that check . Nothing would make me smile ,like never buying gasoline again . I will be forced to buy fuel for the Freightshaker an the Pete . But i need an all electric Tahoe yesterday!
    Hidden Content Long Live The RAT Hidden Content

  13. #11
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GM tests technology that could raise fuel economy by 15 percent

    Beautiful explanation GMJOE...

    We can also see historically in 1979-1980 when the price of oil shot up slightly higher than it is today, I believe with inflation it was 92$/barrel, the record so far is 78$/barrel. Alot of people switched over to cars like Cavalier (1982 model debut in 1981), Civic, etc. This in turn reduced demand and along with gov't intervention the price of oil dropped. I believe its happening again with SUVs.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2