GM Starts Production On New Hybrid Engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Starts Production On New Hybrid Engine

Thanks

GM Starts Production On New Hybrid Engine

GM starts production of new hybrid engine

Two-mode system will go in SUVs

October 29, 2007
    By JUSTIN HYDE
    FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF
    WHITE MARSH, Md. -- General Motors Corp. on Monday launched production of its two-mode hybrid transmissions, its key effort to compete against Toyota Motor Co.’s hybrid juggernaut.
    GM spent $118 million upgrading its Baltimore Transmission Plant to build the two-mode systems that will be installed in the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon hybrid sport utility vehicles. Those vehicles will hit dealerships over the next few weeks.

GM says the system will produce a 50% improvement in city fuel economy and a 10% improvement in highway efficiency, with a 30% boost overall.

Federal tests rate the 2008 Tahoe at 21 miles per gallon in the city and 22 m.p.g. on the highway. John Buttermore, vice president of global manufacturing for GM Powertrain, said the hybrid Tahoe would carry eight people and sport a 332-horsepower engine, while offering the same city fuel economy as a four-cylinder Toyota Camry.

Next year, GM will offer the system in the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups, as well as the Cadillac Escalade. The two-mode design was developed with Daimler AG, Chrysler LLC and BMW, with variants for front and rear-wheel drive vehicles.

The system is GM's response to
    Toyota's growing hybrid empire, and was designed to offer more benefits in larger vehicles, such as GM's full-size pickups and SUVs. But Toyota's success with the Prius has given it a sizable head start; it sold more hybrids in September than GM has built in total.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 10-29-2007 at 02:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Gm Starts Production On New Hybrid Engine

I dont know why would anybody buy hybrid suv. Look at it this way. Mercedes GL diesel Will tow about the same as Taho. Will seat same amount of people. It will be more confrtable and it acelarets about the same as taho hybrid but, it gets better MPG. Hybrid should be for small cars. That is where it makes alot of sence. In suvs and truck it should be diesel. Price difference will be very small between taho hybrid and MB GL diesel.
    Last edited by VCDJ; 10-29-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

This is total BS. If you ask dealerships you will find out that there will be NO, repeat, NO, NONE, ZERO Tahoe or Yukon hybrids in dealerships. GM, it appears, is creating a "pool" of these vehicles. A dealership then has to call and "pull" from this pool when they have a customer wanting to buy one.

To me, this is ridiculous. I will never buy a vehicle that I don't get to drive first, even if I order my vehicle. At least I can drive a duplicate that is on the lot.

GM is completely dropping the ball on this and has doomed the Hybrid before it even comes out. I can hear it now "you see, nobody wanted the hybrid!" That's what GM will say. What they won't tell you is that they never put the vehicle in showrooms.

How can a customer buy what they cannot see, touch, or drive? How many will buy this way? I'll tell you....not many.

Ridiculous.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hybrid SUVs make alot of sense. Most people do the majority of their driving in the city and if you get 4 cylinder mileage from a full size SUV, people will buy it. As fo the the MB, I would take a hybrid Tahoe over it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VCDJ
    I dont know why would anybody buy hybrid suv. Look at it this way. Mercedes GL diesel Will tow about the same as Taho. Will seat same amount of people. It will be more confrtable and it acelarets about the same as taho hybrid but, it gets better MPG. Hybrid should be for small cars. That is where it makes alot of sence. In suvs and truck it should be diesel.
    I like diesel also but it seems to me a hybrid--even a diesel hybrid--is best used in a less fuel efficent suv/truck then an allredy fuel sipping compact car! The larger fuel guzzeling trucks need the hybrid more then a compact does.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I dont know why would anybody buy hybrid suv. Look at it this way. Mercedes GL diesel Will tow about the same as Taho. Will seat same amount of people. It will be more confrtable and it acelarets about the same as taho hybrid but, it gets better MPG. Hybrid should be for small cars. That is where it makes alot of sence. In suvs and truck it should be diesel. Price difference will be very small between taho hybrid and MB GL diesel.
    You are kidding me right? a GL diesel is almost a $54k Truck, show me where it says a tahoe hybrid would even be remotely close to those numbers.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

I dont know why would anybody buy hybrid suv. Look at it this way. Mercedes GL diesel Will tow about the same as Taho. Will seat same amount of people. It will be more confrtable and it acelarets about the same as taho hybrid but, it gets better MPG. Hybrid should be for small cars. That is where it makes alot of sence. In suvs and truck it should be diesel.
    Fifty percent better fuel economy in the city over another comparable gas vehicle doesn't make sense? I don't know where you come from, but you are utterly ignorant. You should be praising GM for such an accomplishment. Toyota wished they could match that, but there is no way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grymm
    This is total BS. If you ask dealerships you will find out that there will be NO, repeat, NO, NONE, ZERO Tahoe or Yukon hybrids in dealerships. GM, it appears, is creating a "pool" of these vehicles. A dealership then has to call and "pull" from this pool when they have a customer wanting to buy one.

To me, this is ridiculous. I will never buy a vehicle that I don't get to drive first, even if I order my vehicle. At least I can drive a duplicate that is on the lot.

GM is completely dropping the ball on this and has doomed the Hybrid before it even comes out. I can hear it now "you see, nobody wanted the hybrid!" That's what GM will say. What they won't tell you is that they never put the vehicle in showrooms.

How can a customer buy what they cannot see, touch, or drive? How many will buy this way? I'll tell you....not many.

Ridiculous.
    Why will they do that? Why wont they have any hybrids in stock? How does gm expect people to buy one with out test driving them first?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al465
    Fifty percent better fuel economy in the city over another comparable gas vehicle doesn't make sense? I don't know where you come from, but you are utterly ignorant. You should be praising GM for such an accomplishment. Toyota wished they could match that, but there is no way.
    You get same improvment with diesel but it cost only less then hybrid. Alot less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
    You are kidding me right? a GL diesel is almost a $54k Truck, show me where it says a tahoe hybrid would even be remotely close to those numbers.
    Just look how much loaded taho is now and add to that at least 7K. That is where price difference becomes very small.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,263 Times in 3,503 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I would buy a Tahoe that gets the same mileage as a Camry any day if I could afford one. But, I would like it to look like a Z71 instead of the funny look it has now

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm...Let's see...You can't buy a GL320 CDI in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, or Vermont because it won't pass emissions.

Base price is $53,000 which is probably $8000 or more than a hybrid Tahoe.

Furthermore, the GL320 CDI is rated at 18 City, 24 Highway. In it's favor, the GL tows about 300 lbs more than a hybrid Tahoe. Woohoo!

To summarize, another post completely unsupported by fact.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Just look how much loaded taho is now and add to that at least 7K. That is where price difference becomes very small.
    but thats the whole point, IF GM takes the same approach w/ this as they are the other hybrids it WONT be more then a fully loaded tahoe because it WONT be a fully loaded tahoe.

Look at the aura, malibu, and vue, all of these cost less then the "xr" or the "2lt" I realize the hybrid system on these isn't as advanced, however GM isn't going to make the customer bear the full brunt of the technology. And they will not have it cost too high, I would say take a middle of the road Tahoe, and add a few g's to it.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Grymm

Ridiculous.
    The anti GM people are at it again. It's unbelievable the defense they use to try and steer the buyers away from buying GM vehicles. It's really laughable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau
    I would buy a Tahoe that gets the same mileage as a Camry any day if I could afford one. But, I would like it to look like a Z71 instead of the funny look it has now
    Why dont you just buy Acadia and you will get smilar mpg. Almost same towing capacity more passenger space but, you will save about 10k. Just think how much fuel you can purchase for 10k and, you only get 2mpg difference between them. This taho hybrid just makes no sence.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information