GM Promotes E85 Ethanol Infrastructure in Pittsburgh

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM Promotes E85 Ethanol Infrastructure in Pittsburgh

Thanks

GM Promotes E85 Ethanol Infrastructure in Pittsburgh

Automaker Partners with Fuel Producers and State to Grow Biofuels Awareness
    October 4, 2007

PITTSBURGH – If the 10,305 owners of General Motors E85 ethanol-capable vehicles in the Pittsburgh area refueled solely with E85 ethanol fuel, they could save an estimated 6.2 million gallons of gasoline every year. Millions of additional gallons of gas could be saved if all owners of flex-fuel vehicles regularly used mostly renewable E85.

Ethanol can be made from domestic resources that help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and the nation’s dependence on imported petroleum. Educating consumers about the use of E85 as an alternative to gasoline is the goal of GM’s E85 Fall Kick Off of the Fuel for Thought Tour.

Pittsburgh is the first of six stops on the national tour that runs through mid-November.

As part of the tour, Carnegie Mellon University, a leading ethanol researcher, will host a biofuels forum on Tuesday, Oct. 9, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Porter Hall. Representatives from Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh Region Clean Cities, Sheetz Inc., the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and GM will discuss the manufacture, availability and benefits of ethanol, and dispel myths about E85.

On Oct. 10 at the Sheetz station at 3954 William Penn Ave. in Monroeville, GM and Sheetz will sell E85 ethanol for 85 cents per gallon from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. E85 ethanol regularly sells for about $2.40. In Pittsburgh, the average cost of a gallon of midgrade gasoline was $2.88 as of Oct. 2.

There are seven E85 ethanol fuel pumps within 100 miles of Pittsburgh. According to the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition, there are more than 1,200 ethanol fueling stations in the U.S. www.e85refueling.com

Article continues at link....

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=40056

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Re: GM Promotes E85 Ethanol Infrastructure in Pittsburgh

we have a dozen e-85 stations in the toronto, ontario area.

they figure they save 600 gallons of gasoline per vehicle per year. that's about right for me. i'd use a little more e-85 than gas.

however, e-85 is 104 octane for the price of regular. i'd like to see some 12:1 compression motors. if gm downsized their motors, they'd be on par with gasoline engines in power and economy.

Thanks

An E85 only engine would be nice but I think GM may be waiting for E85 to become more available to the US before they offer an option like that. Kind of a catch 22.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

I wonder if anyone in Houston runs a special like that....85 cents a gallon btw 7 and 9am.

I'd go for it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Good to see...I always see people filling up at the E85 pump at the station near me.
    2015 Chrysler Town and Country
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 -- 86,000 miles

Family: 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ, 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ; 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS; 2015 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD; 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT; 2005 Chevrolet Impala

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ogg vorbis
    we have a dozen e-85 stations in the toronto, ontario area.

they figure they save 600 gallons of gasoline per vehicle per year. that's about right for me. i'd use a little more e-85 than gas.

however, e-85 is 104 octane for the price of regular. i'd like to see some 12:1 compression motors. if gm downsized their motors, they'd be on par with gasoline engines in power and economy.
    GM is definitely headed in the right direction with its biopower engines. An engine that can take advantage of the high octane to make ethanol on par with or better than gasoline engines for power and fuel ecomony would be ideal.

However, I'm still not convinced that ethanol can fulfill even a small portion of our transportation energy needs. The algae stuff seems to be promising, but until someone actually puts it into practice, prudence demands that we be at least a little skeptical.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information