GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electric Ve

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electric Ve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electric Ve

One step closer.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...w-ve.html#more

GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electric Vehicles and Batteries

24 January 2008

General Motors has formed a new engineering organization that is dedicated to implementing hybrid and extended-range electric vehicles (E-REVs) and advanced battery technology in another step aimed at bringing the electrification of vehicles into the mainstream development process more quickly.
    The global team will be led by Robert Kruse, executive director of vehicle engineering for hybrids, electric vehicle and batteries. In North America, the team will be based in Warren and Milford, Mich. In Europe, the team will be based in Mainz-Kastel, Germany and in Asia-Pacific they will be located in Shanghai, China.

The future of automotive transportation will be based on electrification of our vehicles. By having a vehicle engineering team in place and focused on delivering the technical aspects of hybrids and E-REVs, we can accelerate these programs and get them into production quickly and efficiently.
    —Jim Queen, GM group vice president of Global Engineering
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-24-2008 at 11:06 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electri

Heh - note the Asia-Pacific group is in China and not somewhere else that one would expect.

Thanks

Re: GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electri

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    One step closer.

www.greencarcongress.com/2008/01/gm-forms-new-ve.html#more

GM Forms New Vehicle Engineering Organization for Hybrids, Extended-Range Electric Vehicles and Batteries

24 January 2008

General Motors has formed a new engineering organization that is dedicated to implementing hybrid and extended-range electric vehicles (E-REVs) and advanced battery technology in another step aimed at bringing the electrification of vehicles into the mainstream development process more quickly.
    The global team will be led by Robert Kruse, executive director of vehicle engineering for hybrids, electric vehicle and batteries. In North America, the team will be based in Warren and Milford, Mich. In Europe, the team will be based in Mainz-Kastel, Germany and in Asia-Pacific they will be located in Shanghai, China.

I completely agree that Electric is the future. Think about it, the infrastructure is already there. Park your car in a parking lot and chances are theres a light pole within a reasonable distance. Implementing this technology would be the easiest and most feasable way to move away from petroleum.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fspalt View Post
    I completely agree that Electric is the future. Think about it, the infrastructure is already there. Park your car in a parking lot and chances are theres a light pole within a reasonable distance. Implementing this technology would be the easiest and most feasable way to move away from petroleum.
    subsidized electricity for our cars when we park in public places?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 CTS-V Wagon 6 speed

Kind of late to the party aren't we?

We just decided to do this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by T-Type View Post
    Heh - note the Asia-Pacific group is in China and not somewhere else that one would expect.
    It appears that China is going to figure large in many hybrid plans outside of the Japanese.
    They have some of the materials needed for batteries - there's the labor..... the 'easy' work/environmental 'rules', and as always that huge potential market.... all in one place.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    subsidized electricity for our cars when we park in public places?
    Subsidized? No. I would expect you'd see a parking meter type set up springing up everywhere (and I do mean everywhere).

Park your car. Plug into the "meter". Put in your money for your 15 minute, half hour, or whatever charge.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 01-25-2008 at 05:32 AM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Injun Ear View Post

Late to the party before any body else?
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Injun Ear View Post

They've been working on these projects for a while now... I think they're just really cementing the structure behind it. Makes sense... and I like that they have three global centers. Lets just hope that they communicate very closely.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

D C
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    Subsidized? No. I would expect you'd see a parking meter type set up springing up everywhere (and I do mean everywhere).

Park your car. Plug into the "meter". Put in your money for your 15 minute, half hour, or whatever charge.
    The infrastructure most definitely is NOT in place for this.

What's the current draw of and the wire size going to that lightpost? 15-20 amp 110V? You're going to get a trickle charge out of that. If you expect to drive 30 miles into the city on electric power, plug in for an hour or so at the shopping mall and get enough juice to drive the 30 miles home, you're sure as hell not going to be able to do it without some serious dedicated power supplies.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post

How about a plastic card, like a charge card, that would add the amount of electricity to your home electric bill?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D C View Post

What's the current draw of and the wire size going to that lightpost? 15-20 amp 110V? You're going to get a trickle charge out of that. If you expect to drive 30 miles into the city on electric power, plug in for an hour or so at the shopping mall and get enough juice to drive the 30 miles home, you're sure as hell not going to be able to do it without some serious dedicated power supplies.
    Most light poles are run off of a wire smaller than the powerbar everyone has their computer, monitor, speakers ect off of.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fspalt View Post
    Except the infrastructure is old and in need of a massive overhaul. If you live in California or if you were part of the east coast blackout a few years ago you realize that!

Thanks

Does anyone know how much power the solar panels can make? would they be enough to recharge a electric car?? wouldnt be suprised to see multi storey car parks in the future with solar panels on the roof so people can park and recharge the car if they can get enough juice out of them, without any harmfull emissions goin into the air

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D C View Post

While the infrastructure IS in place, and chargers could be set up by tomorrow (adding circuits of any amperage you like to a metered charging station isn't difficult) there are still issues.

It would indeed take more than "15 minutes" to do any meaningful charge (at least with current battery technology) but yeah, parking meter type charging stations would become common, even if just for "topping off" your charge (maybe for a couple hours while you are at work or shopping):

Security - I paid for the charge, but somebody disconnecting me and plugging in theirs while I'm away.

And again, security - somebody's going to be stealing all this expensive copper.

The electricity draw from the electric power grid would require upgraded capabilities if millions of people are plugging in. But that is no different than plugging in at home, same grid.

And of course, you won't see any of this until (or if) plug in cars become common. So don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 01-25-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information