GM Extends Biofuels Leadership With Coskata Partnership

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM Extends Biofuels Leadership With Coskata Partnership

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

www.gminsidenews.com

DETROIT – General Motors’ global leadership in producing vehicles that operate on ethanol fuel blends is a key part of its commitment to reinvent the automobile through a range of clean transportation technologies that reduce greenhouse gas (CO2) emissions and petroleum use.

GM’s partnership with Coskata to commercialize its unique process for turning biomass into ethanol is just the most recent evidence of GM’s commitment to make ethanol more available by promoting ethanol production technology and infrastructure.

The Coskata partnership also builds on GM’s longstanding leadership in automotive fuels development and testing that included research and development of unleaded fuels in conjunction with the development of the catalytic converter, and early formulations of ethanol.

“GM has been at the forefront of developing and promoting ethanol and ethanol-capable vehicles to reduce petroleum consumption and emissions,” said Beth Lowery, GM vice president, Environment, Energy and Safety Policy.

“We believe ethanol used as a fuel, not just as a gasoline additive, is the best near-term alternative to the surging global demand for oil because ethanol is renewable and it significantly reduces CO2 emissions compared to gasoline,” she said. “Best of all, it is available today.”

After working alongside ethanol producers to develop fuel formulations to provide optimum performance in vehicle engines, GM began promoting ethanol more than two decades ago and was the first manufacturer to enable its entire U.S. fleet to operate on E10, a blend of 90 percent gasoline and 10 percent ethanol.

Globally, GM has about 3.5 million flex-fuel vehicles on the road in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Brazil. About 2.5 million are capable of operating on any percentage of gasoline and ethanol, up to 85 percent ethanol (E85). Another 1 million are in Brazil, where more than 90 percent of the vehicles GM sells run on 100-percent ethanol, known as E100. GM produces more than 1 million flex-fuel vehicles a year globally.

GM has committed to doubling North American flex-fuel vehicle production from 400,000 to 800,000 by 2010 and to make half of its vehicles flex-fuel-capable by 2012.

In addition to the Coskata partnership, GM is working with universities, businesses and non-governmental organizations to promote the benefits of E85 at a grassroots level. GM has played a significant role in raising E85 awareness in 15 states and has helped open 300 E85 refueling stations in the last two years.

The U.S. is the largest market using fuels blended with ethanol; however, its use as a fuel source is gaining global popularity as a more environmentally responsible option to petroleum-based fuels. GM has developed market-specific engines and vehicles that allow consumers to benefit from the use of earth-friendly ethanol fuels produced and available in their country.

Brazil is the best example of the market potential for alternative fuels. Since 1975, Brazil has been using ethanol made from sugar cane to create self-sufficiency in motor vehicle fuels.

GM has been a leader in flexible-fuel powertrains in the Brazilian market. These are vehicles capable of operating on any blend of gasoline and ethanol, up to 100 percent ethanol.

The Saab 9-5 BioPower is another example of GM applying its ethanol learnings globally.

During the development of BioPower, Swedish engineers teamed with their GM colleagues in Brazil to transfer knowledge of flex fuels. As a result, Saab now leads the European premium car segment in offering the 9-5 BioPower model, which accounts for 70 percent of all 9-5 sales.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GM Extends Biofuels Leadership With Coskata Partnership

what brands are going to get flexfuel vehicles or is it going to cross the board?

I thought Saab= bio diesel, Saturn& Cadillac =electric.
    Is Chevy & Buick doing E85?
    Iraq War Vet 2003-2004

Wanted: (GM Holden)([[COLOR=Silver] to produce the best damn Caddy!

Waiting for 2'1? Cadillac Alpha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    what brands are going to get flexfuel vehicles or is it going to cross the board?

I thought Saab= bio diesel, Saturn& Cadillac =electric.
    Is Chevy & Buick doing E85?
    Where's Pontiac? Ethanol is much higher octane than gas!
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

I would love to see every car they make to be E85 capable, that is the only way more gas stations will start carrying it, I'm getting a new Dodge Caravan here for work soon and the build sheet says Flex Fuel, I'm hoping that the company will let me use E85 in it, at 45k+ miles a year that is a lot of gas saved

Thanks

Is Coskata a public trade? Might be an interesting but risky investment.
    16 Garnet Red 1LT RS Camaro 6SPD
    14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST) Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto View Post
    Is Coskata a public trade? Might be an interesting but risky investment.
    That is what I was thinking? Hmmm

If you guys want to see a wonderful press release w/ Wagoner, watch the video here if you have a half hour, it is very insightful
    Thanks
    http://gmtv.feedroom.com/
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

It's like Back to the Future, dump some trash in that baby, and off we go!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

More on this...
    http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=2558

General Motors has announced a deal with a US ethanol research company that it believes could halve the price of a gallon of petrol, and reduce the CO2 emissions of the fuel by up to 84percent. Coskata, a biology-based renewable energy company, has developed a means of producing ethanol from wood waste, household rubbish and old tyres by using bacteria and an existing gasification technology in a process that yields 99.7percent pure ethanol, plus water. GM and Coskata claim that this method of ethanol production is far superior to using grain in terms of CO2 reduction, and an improvement on using ethanol produced using cellulosic plant-fibre ethanol (which is more CO2 efficient than grain) too. It is a technology that is also available now, in contrast to extracting ethanol fro cellulosic feedstocks, claims GM.
    This could be huge. It is the equivalent of finding a huge oil field. I wonder how much control GM has over this technology. They could make more money of this than selling cars. Gotta look into buying GM stock.
    Last edited by agman25; 01-14-2008 at 08:47 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 TheGeneral's Avatar
    Thanks

Risky investment if gas goes down but I doubt that. Good thing is all the E85 capable cars and trucks are hogs.
    Last edited by TheGeneral; 01-14-2008 at 07:43 PM.
    2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ
    2007 Mazda3 I Touring

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information