Former Shell Chairman: Peak oil, $150/barrel in 20 years

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Former Shell Chairman: Peak oil, $150/barrel in 20 years

Thanks

Former Shell Chairman: Peak oil, $150/barrel in 20 years

Oil industry 'sleepwalking into crisis'

Lord Oxburgh, the former chairman of Shell, has issued a stark warning that the price of oil could hit $150 per barrel, with oil production peaking within the next 20 years.

He accused the industry of having its head "in the sand" about the depletion of supplies, and warned: "We may be sleepwalking into a problem which is actually going to be very serious and it may be too late to do anything about it by the time we are fully aware."

In an interview with The Independent on Sunday ahead of his address to the Association for the Study of Peak Oil in Ireland this week, Lord Oxburgh, one of the most respected names in the energy industry, said a rapid increase in the price of oil was inevitable as demand continued to outstrip supply. He said: "We can probably go on extracting oil from the ground for a very long time, but it is going to get very expensive indeed.

"And once you see oil prices in excess of $100 or $150 a barrel, the alternatives simply become more attractive on price grounds if on no others."

Lord Oxburgh added that oil majors must invest more heavily in developing viable alternatives to oil and gas. "If you look at it from oil companies' point of view, effectively what they're doing at the moment is continuing business as usual, and sticking their toes in the water in a number of areas which might become important in future.

"But at present there is a relatively poor business case for making significantly greater investment in these new areas."

Commenting on whether "peak oil" – the point when global oil production goes into terminal decline – was likely to be reached in the near future, he said: "In a way it scarcely matters; what really matters is the gap between production and demand. I don't know whether there is going to be a peak in world oil production, whether it's going to plateau and then slowly come down.

"It could well plateau within the next 20 years, and I guess I would be surprised if it hadn't."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Former Shell Chairman: Peak oil, $150/barrel in 20 years

Selling less gas for higher profits? Not hard to figure that out. But we need only to look toward Washington to see the problem. We aren't drilling in Alaska or off So. Florida where there are proven reserves. And we sure don't help ourselves as we continue to buy and drive the gas guzzlers.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

We are $80 in a shoulder season for demand, what does that tell ya!

Oil is going higher sooner rather than later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

and thats why my friends I might put in my house solar panels or a windmill to generate electricity
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,329 Times in 4,471 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

With China and India coming online with motor vehicles for the masses, expect more competition for oil. This will develop into a very interesting strategic situation.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information