Florida legislature passes new ethanol mandate

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Florida legislature passes new ethanol mandate

Thanks

Florida legislature passes new ethanol mandate

Florida Requires Ethanol Use

Despite all the outcry about ethanol in the media, Florida is bucking the trend and establishing a renewable fuel standard, requiring ethanol to make up 10 percent of Florida’s total fuel supply by 2010.

Florida’s comprehensive “Green Energy” bill passed by the 2008 Florida Legislature last week includes a variety of other initiatives, prompted by Governor Charlie Crist, who praised the legislature for their work on the bill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS

Re: Florida legislature passes new ethanol mandate

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    GOOD FOR THEM!

E85 is our best choice for an immediate reduction in the need of imported oil.
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

wouldn't it make more sense to not require ethanol, but rather require a certain percentage of alternative fuels? Don't push people or businesses into ethanol...rather let the market decide which alternative fuel (even from a list of options) it wants to go to?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    wouldn't it make more sense to not require ethanol, but rather require a certain percentage of alternative fuels? Don't push people or businesses into ethanol...rather let the market decide which alternative fuel (even from a list of options) it wants to go to?
    This sounds good in theory, but what can you add to gasoline other than ethanol? Not MTBE, it poisons the water. I am not aware of any other additive you could put on the list.

The real option is between corn ethanol and cellulosic ethanol. From the language of the article, it would appear that refiners still have that choice. I know that at least one cellulosic ethanol facility for Florida has been announced. Once it is up and running, it will be an option.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    Okay. Which alternative fuels are readily available to consumers RIGHT NOW?

I s'pose you could allow hybrid vehicles to be included in the 'alternative fuel vehicles' since they reduce the amount of crude needed, but the ONLY other choice is E85, which if can be made available at more gas stations (not sure about E85 availability in FL, but it needs to be more readily available here in MI), it IS a viable source to reduce our demand on crude oil.

My Yukon, like millions of other GM vehicles, can be filled with it when I can find it. Yes, mileage suffers a little, but at 64 cents a gallon cheaper (in Brighton), it's worth it NOW!
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information