In Farm Belt, Ethanol Plants Hit Resistance - NYTimes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Farm Belt, Ethanol Plants Hit Resistance - NYTimes

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

In Farm Belt, Ethanol Plants Hit Resistance - NYTimes

NYTimes article: In Farm Belt, Ethanol Plants Hit Resistance

Beginning of article:

SPARTA, Wis. — When plans were announced for a new ethanol distillery on the outskirts of this city of 9,000, residents complained that it would mar the view from the municipal golf course. They worried that its emissions would taint the milk-based products made at nearby Century Foods International, one of the community’s biggest employers. They even argued over whether the plant would reek like burned molasses or blackened popcorn or fermenting beer.

The T-shirts opponents printed up told the story: “Good idea. Bad location.”

For years, the arrival of an ethanol distillery in agricultural America was greeted mainly with delight, a ticket to the future in places plagued by economic uncertainty. But in the nation’s middle, the engine of ethanol country, the glow is dimming.
    Brendan Moore
    Autosavant.net
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: In Farm Belt, Ethanol Plants Hit Resistance - NYTimes

Everyone becomes an environmentalist when it's in there backyard, even in the Midwest where there isn't much environment left.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

people will complain about anything....blackened popcorn? burned molasses? come on.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by free_energy0 View Post
    Everyone becomes an environmentalist when it's in there backyard, even in the Midwest where there isn't much environment left.
    No environment in the Midwest/Wisconsin? What is the north woods?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I've got some decent input on this one, as I currently live in Wisconsin and I lived in Sparta for 10 years, so know the area quite well.

First off, there is still PLENTY of environment in Wisconsin. Look at the map sometime and draw and imaginary line between Eau Claire and Green Bay, everything above it is pretty much nothing and in that entire section of the state, the population total is well under 500,000. It still is the northwoods.

Second, the area they have in mind for this ethanol plant is right next to the railroad which already is unsightly placed ON the golf course. I've lost many golf balls near the tracks, actually, lol. Furthermore, the main state highway going through the town goes over the golf course right next to this location. Sentry foods actually employs my step-dad at this time and they are the biggest employer that is doing well, as most of the city's industrial park relocated to China. It states in the article that that Sparta is a city of 9000 people, but forgets to mention the 42 bars located in town. I seriously doubt anyone would notice the smell of a little more alcohol in the air, lol. The biggest city nearby is La Crosse, which has several brewry's right downtown and very few complaints about its emissions anymore. Just like everywhere else, this is a political game that is NOT about what is best for consumers.

Thanks

It sure does seem that way sometimes. There are some that just do not want to give anything up for improvement. I've seen the same thing happen here with wind farms.
    No longer have the Cavalier, now it's a Cobalt!

Thanks

i have always said that the big shots of the company should be required to live next to the plant just to prove it is safe to live there. with nuclear power the big shots at the power company should be forced to live next to the plant and that way not so many people would be against it
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,868 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Nothing to see here.

Where I live they're building a giant hog processing plant and of course a huge stink was raised about the stink. But it's getting built anyway.

Happens every time anyone wants to build anything that processes something.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Take those people to a pulp and paper town and see if they still complain about smell of an ethanol plant.
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tholland View Post
    Take those people to a pulp and paper town and see if they still complain about smell of an ethanol plant.

There is, fairly close to them on the Wisconsin River...

Sparta doesn't need it, but there are other communities in that area that would gladly take it...this the article doesn't expand on...

Get a grip already...you certainly don't have a clue...
    Last edited by GMCSonoma; 11-13-2007 at 08:48 AM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Their view from the golf course? What the hecks with that, sounds like the methane from the nearby pastural settings, may have clouded the thought process of the local putters. MoooOOOOO! MooooOOOOOO!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 730 Posts

People in a dairy farm area (you know, loads of COWS) are complaining about the look/smell/potential pollution of an ethanol plant! You can't make up funnier stuff than this!
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 11-13-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01cavalier View Post
    It sure does seem that way sometimes. There are some that just do not want to give anything up for improvement. I've seen the same thing happen here with wind farms.

same here. they proposed a plan for off shore windfarms (as in ,they would be as big as my finger when looking at them from the beach) and people balked at it. said it was unsightly. (i actually wouldnt mind seeing them, would give me a sense of accomplishment and peace of mind). i guess long islanders would rather pay the 3.20 to fill up their suv's (every other vehicle is an suv- not kidding) instead of saving some green and at the same time helping the environment.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

There is an ethanol plant near us that I occasionally drive by. I've never noticed a smell. It also doens't look any worse than the large grain bins across the road that have been there for decades. They are nearly as big and are a common site in farm country. Some people just like to complain.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

The Sparta golf course

Sparta farm

Midwest environment
    Mississippi River

Brown County, Indiana