EV Acceptance Won't Come Easy, But Growing Numbers Are Interested - Report

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: EV Acceptance Won't Come Easy, But Growing Numbers Are Interested - Report

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Edmunds
    November 15, 2010
    by John O'Dell

We've never tried to suggest that electric-drive vehicles will sweep over the market like a wind-driven grass fire.

Acceptance will come, but slowly as more and more people are exposed to EVs, plug-in hybrids and someday, maybe, fuel-cell electric vehicles.

In addition to range anxiety - the potential buyer's concern about how far an EV can go on a single charge - obstacles to widespread and rapid adoption of electric-drive cars and trucks include cost and uncertainty about reliability of what many see as a brand new technology.

Analysts at Pike Research say a new survey they've conducted supports that view but also shows that enough people are interested to make a good case for success.

"The early adapter market should easily meet the industry's expectations for the first few years of electric vehicle sales," said Pike analyst Dave Hurst.

It's the market after the early adapters have ben satisfied that's the question mark.

The Colorado-based new energy research firm conducted the Web-based survey over the summer and collected responses nationwide responses from 1,042 adult consumers.

Interestingly, while the survey was conducted as both Nissan and General Motors were ramping up media campaigns to promote the upcoming Nissan Leaf battery-electric hatchback and the Chevrolet Volt range-extended plug-in sedan, respondents selected Ford and Honda as the two automakers whose EVs they'd be most likely to consider.

Ford won't introduce a consumer EV until the battery-electric 2012 Focus debuts, and Honda until late last month had been openly hostile to the idea of all-electric vehicles, saying it preferred dual powertrain hybrids instead. The company's tune is changing, though, and a Honda EV concept, and perhaps a plug-in hybrid concept as well, will be shown at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,245 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Re: EV Acceptance Won't Come Easy, But Growing Numbers Are Interested - Report

I'm not interested any time soon. I don't look at my car as an appliance that I have to plug in every night. I'm rather fond of my V8 rumble.
    But I'm sure others will think differently.
    Last edited by TruckMan; 11-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,845 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Ford won't introduce a consumer EV until the battery-electric 2012 Focus debuts, and Honda until late last month had been openly hostile to the idea of all-electric vehicles, saying it preferred dual powertrain hybrids instead. The company's tune is changing, though, and a Honda EV concept, and perhaps a plug-in hybrid concept as well, will be shown at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week.
    Honda put their eggs in the hydrogen basket and lost.
    Why anyone should have confidence in them is a mystery. Their hybrids are the biggest pieces of crap out there.
    They've pretty much lost the plot. I'd buy a Hyundai way before I'd ever buy a Honda.

Good luck to Ford. History has shown buyers of these things want unique styling.
    Last edited by eaton53; 11-15-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    I'm not interested any time soon. I don't look at my car as an appliance that I have to plug in every night. I'm rather fond of my V8 rumble.
    But I'm sure others will think differently.
    Hey, I like the V8 rumble too, but I drove a VOLT this weekend. Try the "Sport" mode. It is throw-you-back-in-the-seat quick and corners nice. Drive it on a newly paved road, and you almost feel like you're gliding on rails!!!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- Ronald Reagan

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Interestingly, respondents selected Ford and Honda as the two automakers whose EVs they'd be most likely to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Why anyone should have confidence in them is a mystery.
    Not that mysterious... those two automakers are the ones at the top of quality rankings these days.

If I were to pay ~$35k+ for a commuting vehicle, I'd rather have it come from a top-quality automaker. Apparently I'm not alone in thinking that way.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Furthermore, electric vehicles waste incredible amounts of electricity, which would eventually cause a worldwide electron shortage. However, I digress.
    But aren't elctrons a renewable resource? Can't we make more? There aren't really that many dinosaurs left to put underground unitl they decay sufficiently for petroleum.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

Thanks

When it requires 0 sacrifice in vehicle size, looks, ability, cost and convenience, I'll be interested.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information