Ethanol Is Dream Deferred for Farming Towns Too Late to Biofuel

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol Is Dream Deferred for Farming Towns Too Late to Biofuel

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 Fiesta ST Ingot Silver

Ethanol Is Dream Deferred for Farming Towns Too Late to Biofuel

Ford Heights Ethanol LLC applied in June 2006 to build a distillery in the Illinois town that bears its name, promising economic revival to replace abandoned houses and closed stores. Two years later, no work has begun.

For Ford Heights and other agricultural towns, the ``green- collar'' job revolution envisioned by federal biofuel mandates is a dream deferred. Knee-high grass and old tires cover the site as record prices for corn, the main ingredient in ethanol, discourage investment in new plants.

The $20.8 billion industry may have itself to blame. Breakneck construction led to 168 ethanol plants, already producing more than U.S. mandates require for the fuel additive this year. The distilleries buy so much corn -- as much as a third of the U.S. crop this year -- that they have contributed to price increases, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says.

``I kept saying they're going to kill the golden goose,'' says Jim Jordan, president of Jim Jordan & Associates LP, a Houston fuel-consulting company. ``We have in fact overbuilt. This thing is pretty devastating.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...8Nc&refer=home

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ethanol Is Dream Deferred for Farming Towns Too Late to Biofuel

I am sorry for that town and its people, but from the beginning I've been opposed to ethanol made from food crops for several reasons....low return for energy input, diversion of food crops from livestock and people, and especially, environmental damage in the form of depletion of aquifers and contributing heavily to that huge (and growing) "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico caused by fertilizer run off. To me, cellulosic ethanol and algal diesel make vastly more sense all around.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    To me, cellulosic ethanol and algal diesel make vastly more sense all around.
    I can't make an argument for using corn as a food source. It's about as inefficient a crop as you could find, period.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shabodah View Post
    I can't make an argument for using corn as a food source. It's about as inefficient a crop as you could find, period.
    It is a VERY hungry and thirsty crop.....I quit growing it in my gardens about 5 years ago. Freshly picked home grown corn, raw or cooked, IS awesome...but it killed my water bill!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

It is a VERY hungry and thirsty crop.....I quit growing it in my gardens about 5 years ago. Freshly picked home grown corn, raw or cooked, IS awesome...but it killed my water bill!
    While I don't disagree that corn is an input intensive crop, there is a world of difference between growing sweet corn in Florida and growing field corn in the Midwest. It's like saying that I gave up on growing banana trees in Wisconsin because it was killing my heating bills in the winter.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Speaking of killing your water bill, are you the proud owner of any St. Augustine grass?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidlane View Post
    Speaking of killing your water bill, are you the proud owner of any St. Augustine grass?
    Nope I have a grassless property, deeply mulched, that grows food and the roses I use in my breeding work. I have always been appalled at just how much water and nutrition and fuss that St. Augustine requires. Sadly, some deed restricted communities still mandate it despite Florida's ongoing and worsening water issues.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I am sorry for that town and its people, but from the beginning I've been opposed to ethanol made from food crops for several reasons....low return for energy input, diversion of food crops from livestock and people, and especially, environmental damage in the form of depletion of aquifers and contributing heavily to that huge (and growing) "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico caused by fertilizer run off. To me, cellulosic ethanol and algal diesel make vastly more sense all around.
    Crop made ethanol might not be the answer, but it did open the doors for cellulosic & algal ethanol. It is amazing how that industry has grown in just the past 6 months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osv_alero View Post
    Crop made ethanol might not be the answer, but it did open the doors for cellulosic & algal ethanol. It is amazing how that industry has grown in just the past 6 months.
    Wait - am I missing something here? I thought algae were being used to produce oil substitutes, not alcohol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    While I don't disagree that corn is an input intensive crop, there is a world of difference between growing sweet corn in Florida and growing field corn in the Midwest. It's like saying that I gave up on growing banana trees in Wisconsin because it was killing my heating bills in the winter.
    Whether it is grown on Iowa or Florida, corn is a thirsty hungry crop that can and does contribute to the Gulf dead zone. The analogy to bananas in Wisconsin has no merit or basis.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    Wait - am I missing something here? I thought algae were being used to produce oil substitutes, not alcohol.
    Yes, you did miss something. It is being used for both:

Ethanol from seawater and algae gains large investment: a Biofuels Digest profile of Algenol

One billion gallons of ethanol per year by 2012 are projected from a (near $1 billion) new technology facility being constructed in the Sonora desert area of NW Mexico by Mexico-based BioFields. 1000 gal capacity transparent bioreactors have five inputs: Algae, sunlight, CO2, nutrients and seawater. Outputs are: ethanol, oxygen and freshwater.

The things not needed for the process, developed by Algenol Biofuels of Baltimore, are arable land, harvesting, large amounts of fossil fuel, fossil based fertilizer or lots of fresh water. Algenol estimates the energy balance, i.e., the ratio of energy out vs. energy in will be greater than 8:1 which compares with 1.35:1 for corn ethanol.
    Initial production in 2009 is planned for 100 million gal/yr.

Among interesting data developed by Algenol and made available to Automotive Industries by spokesperson Evan Smith, is an ethanol production rate already achieved of 6000 gal/acre/yr. Algenol data reports this compares with 370 gal/acre/yr for corn ethanol and 850 gal/acre/yr for sugarcane ethanol. The 6000 gal/acre/yr production rate is based on test operation of a prototype 1000 gal. bioreactor unit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    Yes certain species of algae can be used to produce ethanol too. Amazingly versatile plant that preceded us humans by a couple of billion years!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Whether it is grown on Iowa or Florida, corn is a thirsty hungry crop that can and does contribute to the Gulf dead zone. The analogy to bananas in Wisconsin has no merit or basis.
    It definitely has some merit. Certain plants thrive better in certain climates. Corn is not the ultimate answer though (as you stated). I feel that ethanol, from the best source possible, is an excellent addition to our energy needs that can happen in the near future.

I love how many will discount ethanol solely based on the corn derived. So many advancements have been made. There should be some sort of tax break involved if your vehicle can run on E85 solely for the reason that it helps us become less dependant on oil.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Another alternative is methanol. As far as I know this isn't being considered. What follows is part of an article about alternatives to oil:

For each of the four countries, knocking oil off its pedestal is no longer a theoretical proposition but a reality in the making. But despite the lip service our own politicians pay to the need to reduce our oil dependence, none of the solutions offered by Iran, Brazil, China and Israel are even under consideration in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Just go down the list. Natural-gas vehicles are nowhere to be seen. Brazilian sugar-cane ethanol is barred from the country by a steep 54-cent-per-gallon import tariff, courtesy of ethanol protectionists and their representatives in Congress. (No tariff is imposed on imported oil, of course.) For similar reasons, flex-fuel cars sold in the United States are certified to run only on ethanol, keeping methanol and other viable biofuels off the market -- even though they are cheaper and can be made from a wealth of coal and biomass resources. The kind of electric cars deployed in Israel have never returned to U.S. showrooms since General Motors' mass crushing of its EV1 -- the subject of the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?"

Lin to the full article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0303250_2.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stick076 View Post
    It definitely has some merit. Certain plants thrive better in certain climates. Corn is not the ultimate answer though (as you stated). I feel that ethanol, from the best source possible, is an excellent addition to our energy needs that can happen in the near future.

I love how many will discount ethanol solely based on the corn derived. So many advancements have been made. There should be some sort of tax break involved if your vehicle can run on E85 solely for the reason that it helps us become less dependant on oil.
    What I meant by no merit is that corn can grow in Florida and the midwest in summer with similar inputs, but bananas surviving in Wisconsin winters without a greenhouse would be close to impossible, so that comparison had no real bearing. The point came up solely due to my saying I had stopped growing corn due its impact on my water bill, with no inference to corn growing elsewhere.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information