EPA Approves E15 for 2007 and newer cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA Approves E15 for 2007 and newer cars

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

EPA Approves E15 for 2007 and newer cars

PRESS RELEASE

EPA Grants E15 Waiver for Newer Vehicles

A new label for E15 is being proposed to help ensure consumers use the correct fuel

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today waived a limitation on selling fuel that is more than 10 percent ethanol for model year 2007 and newer cars and light trucks. The waiver applies to fuel that contains up to 15 percent ethanol – known as E15 – and only to model year 2007 and newer cars and light trucks. This represents the first of a number of actions that are needed from federal, state and industry towards commercialization of E15 gasoline blends. EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson made the decision after a review of the Department of Energy's (DOE's) extensive testing and other available data on E15's impact on engine durability and emissions.

"Thorough testing has now shown that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks," said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. "Wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more home-grown fuels in America's vehicles, this administration takes those steps."

A decision on the use of E15 in model year 2001 to 2006 vehicles will be made after EPA receives the results of additional DOE testing, which is expected to be completed in November. However, no waiver is being granted this year for E15 use in model year 2000 and older cars and light trucks – or in any motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles, or non-road engines – because currently there is not testing data to support such a waiver.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/13...r-new-ish-car/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: EPA Approves E15 for 2007 and newer cars

yet the price wont change and you'll be getting less mpg due to the lower energy content. makes total sense.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

Thanks

So we are now going to offer E-10 for all vehicles, and E-15 for all vehicles 2007+.

Where does it end? When we eventually retrofit all vehicles of some worth to handle ethanol in the quantities the Government wishes?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,923 Times in 5,198 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

I don't get this "wavier" the Government is going to tell me its OK for me to put E-15 in my tank? I could put E-85, diesel or potato soup in my gas tank today if I so desired.

Is this going to be like it was in the 70's and 80's with the Regular (which had lead), Unleaded, Mid-Grade and Premium?

More tanks, more pumps, higher costs and prices, so not only will it get worse MPG's, its going to cost MORE at the pump, in the dairy isle and Taco Bell!

None of this really surprises me though, Lisa J doesn't really want us driving cars anyway.

Thanks

I suspect what's going to happen is that manufacturers will simply make all their cars E-85 capable. From what I understand, it's relatively cheap. That way, there aren't reliability issues, at least with new cars.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 G8 GT

I guess the Ethanol producers got into the pockets of the right person.

I'd be interested in seeing the positive AND negative affects of moving to E10, and how E15 will further those affects, because on my end as a consumer I don't feel there was anything positive for me personally or most consumers.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by TJ95GAGT View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the positive AND negative affects of moving to E10, and how E15 will further those affects, because on my end as a consumer I don't feel there was anything positive for me personally or most consumers.
    Sending less money to Saudi Arabia sounds pretty positive to me. That's all I need.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

OK, fine, '07s and newer can use E15. That's great.

The average car on the road is 8 years old. What's everyone ELSE going to use?!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Kia Optima EX

They'll keep the mileage ratings the same and use a less efficient gasoline. Makes total sense to me!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

It seems like people are not reading the article and do not understand what is going on.

This is no mandate to force all gas to be E10 or E15 infact E10 is already used, they are creating a E15 standard and after testing have found E15 safe in all 2007 and newer vehicles (and may make older vehicles declared safe after more testing).

So when you go to a gas station (if the gas station owners decides) you can buy your regular 100% gasoline (in some states E10 is used) or you can opt to use E10, E15, and if your car can handle it E85.

the impact of higher demand on corn will of course cause corn prices to increase however the impact on a reduction in demand for oil will cause all food prices drop as this will drive down transportation costs.

I am sure that people know about recent developments in Ethanol which is to use things other then corn to produce Ethanol in the US.

Banned
    Thanks

Funny I read an article on edmunds that stated E-15 was going to be damaging, according to automakers, this was back in mid may.

My Aura which literally has a set stoichometric number of 14.5 or 14.7 somewhere in there won't like WOT too much. Thankfully at WOT the vehicle is tuned from the factory to run about 13.0:1 A/F but that is on straight gasoline. On E-10 that's about 13.7:1 A/F which is quite lean for a modern port fuel high compression motor such as the 3.6 LY7. Now with the e_15 we're going to be looking at running 14.3:1 A/F equivalent at WOT. That will cause knock, no question about it.

Now the computer I believe doesn't do O2 sensor feed back at WOT above a certain load and RPM, there should be a closed loop lock out once you pass a specific point. That will be tough, my guess is that my computer is going to be spending a lot more time interpolating on the "low octane" end of the spark table.

Here is another question I have.

Ethanol has a much higher octane rating than say 93 ron+mon/2 gasoline.

So my question is, and maybe someone would know. When I buy 93 octane with 15% ethanol which is about 105 octane. It still being labeled at the pump, is that 93 octane gasoline with the octane of ethanol added? Or is is like LOW octane gasoline mixed with more ethanol to create a "mixture" which = 93 octane? Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post

So my question is, and maybe someone would know. When I buy 93 octane with 15% ethanol which is about 105 octane. It still being labeled at the pump, is that 93 octane gasoline with the octane of ethanol added? Or is is like LOW octane gasoline mixed with more ethanol to create a "mixture" which = 93 octane? Can anyone verify this for me?
    Good point, I'd like to know as well.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 90CamaroRS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Funny I read an article on edmunds that stated E-15 was going to be damaging, according to automakers, this was back in mid may.

My Aura which literally has a set stoichometric number of 14.5 or 14.7 somewhere in there won't like WOT too much. Thankfully at WOT the vehicle is tuned from the factory to run about 13.0:1 A/F but that is on straight gasoline. On E-10 that's about 13.7:1 A/F which is quite lean for a modern port fuel high compression motor such as the 3.6 LY7. Now with the e_15 we're going to be looking at running 14.3:1 A/F equivalent at WOT. That will cause knock, no question about it.

Now the computer I believe doesn't do O2 sensor feed back at WOT above a certain load and RPM, there should be a closed loop lock out once you pass a specific point. That will be tough, my guess is that my computer is going to be spending a lot more time interpolating on the "low octane" end of the spark table.

I can only imagine what this will do to my car....

Your explanation alone would give me enough reason if I had the power to, to shoot down E15 at any chance I got and with all means necessary.

This just proves that if enough people bitch and moan about things to the government, the government will give in. Makes perfect sense.

I'm going to get all of my friends to bitch and moan to get what I want. Got any ideas?
    Proud Owner Of a 1990 Camaro RS

Best Mileage to date: 33.8MPG Hidden Content
    525 highway miles on a single tank

Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

What do firefighters think of Ethanol? It will give them more work in car collisions for a start but do they have to have a different foam to fight the fires with? Also when an E85 car ends up in water and leaks you won't be able to stop it mixing with the water -with petrol a boom gives you the opportunity to contain it.
    I am not so sure ethanol is the answer people think it is.
    Do we have any firies that can comment.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

E10 has lowered my cars fuel mileage by up to two MPG, ruined my older lawn mower and gives my current lawnmower and snow thrower nothing but starting problems if left for more than 3 weeks unused. My 1981 Firebird somehow seems to be ok but I put nothing but high test in that so maybe that helps. Now they want to increase to E15 to lower my mileage even more. I think we should be paying less for gas that reduces our mileage and that doesn't come from abroad.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information