Electric cars vs. plug-in hybrids: Which gets better economy? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric cars vs. plug-in hybrids: Which gets better economy?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Just reg stuff in the Garage

Re: Electric cars vs. plug-in hybrids: Which gets better economy?

My Wife & I are admittedly in the Volt's sweet spot, we don't need it for long drives, we live in GA (generally pretty warm), don't need it for motorsports, but despite buying it in early Dec 2012 (5 months ago) & therefore only having only a winter to it's name so far, here's what it's done -

Attachment 12732

It's up to estimating 53 electric-only miles out of the current charge (epa rated @38). It's done 4897 miles out of 5048 on electric. We haven't opened the gas cap yet.
    When we first sat in it at the dealer's & turned the car on, it fired the gas engine up & performed maint mode which I estimate burned 1 gal (w/the car in 'park' the whole time). Additionally, although it's a guess, from the car's gas ga. the tank wasn't full, I estimate it had ~8 gal. On the first day I was putting it in mountain mode (which chews up gas/kills mileage) testing out/learning the technology in the car & because these don't happen anymore plus the fact that warmer weather is emerging, we're expecting miles per charge & miles per gallon to get even better. If the car had 8 gals to begin w/ & has 3 now then 5048mi/5gal = 1009.6mpg. It's my fault it's so low & we're hoping to get to 10,000 or so before too long. Electric costs us about 8.5c/kwh & the car's costing pessimistically 2 cents a mile to drive electric.
    We'll never buy another gasoline car again.
    I like what Toyota's done w/the Prius but for me 50mpg is Wayy too low. I do wonder if public perception will catch up before end of days tho & hoping to have an impact is why I post all this.

Thanks GM for the best car the world's never seen.
    Last edited by ZombiesAreComing; 04-13-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: oops, have had it 4mos, not 5

married to 'Poolside', you find me doing pool maint a lot. One of these years we're going to take August *Off*. maybe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Each type of car relates to a specific kind of driving pattern, so, I would guess that each are probably successful in their own right when it comes to engineering and marketing to a specific type of driver with a specific driving pattern.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CorsaTurboC View Post
    It depends on location and your abilities. I installed the Voltec myself with a total outlay (PVC conduit, wire, and charger) for $540. It is mounted a couple of feet from my breaker box in the garage. The 220V charger is an option and, for the average commuter, is not needed. One thing people have to remember is the Volt doesn't need to be tethered and can be your only car. I would like to see improvement in the fuel economy, but it beats a lot of gas cars in that category as well.
    That sounds more reasonable to me. It isn't difficult to add a two pole circuit breaker to a distribution panel, and run some 10/3 w/gnd romex, if you have the space.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I was going "ALL IN" with the charger and MOST Garages I have seen or dealt with are 15A 120V so a NEW cable needs to be trenched + new breakers and works permits ETC

YES and NO
    the Yes as in you could transform it into split phase 220 OR power a DC QUICK charger on 3 phase
    NO you can NOT put 3 PHASE directly into the car
    There are much cheaper ways to get 220v power. If you have room in your distribution panel just install a 30 or 40A circuit breaker and install a 220V outlet in the garage. No need to "trench" a new cable. Every house is different so there are many variables. If you are really cheap and your dryer outlet is convenient, I would build an extension cord capable of flowing the correct current run it from the dryer outlet to the Volt charging cable. I do not see an issue as long as you are using the correct size wire for the job. A competent electrician can build one for you. That way you are out maybe a couple of hundred (mostly labor).

Anyways it is one of those "costs" or factors you have to consider when making the purchase of a EV. I do not think the answer is pure EV vehicles for the future. Powertrains for the future need to be like a sustainable energy policy, use a little bit of everything. If we diversify our fuel types then I think we will have a sustainable solution. There is way more oil out there than we give credit for, the limiting factors from using it will be the cost to drill and how we feel about putting hydrocarbons into the air. So I do not think we will ever get away from the internal combustion engine. I do think by 2025-2030 it will be much different than what we have now or had in the past.

Remember EV's redistribute fuel use from the end consumer back to the power company. It doesn't totally elminate it.

Thanks

I wish our local authorities would force condominium builder to install wiring for 240V charging station in the parking lot of every new project.

Even if I don't have a electric car, or a plug-in hybrid or everything else between, if i ever build a house it would be charger-ready. As for now, I have to park on the street, but in a few years I plan to buy or build something else and I'll make sure I can plug my car.

We are paying between $0.054 and 0.078 / kWh but gas is sold around $ 1.40 ~ 1.50 / Liter (or about $5.60 to 6.00 / gallon). It does make sense to go electric.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I've had my Volt for 24 months, just under 20,000 miles and my average lifetime mileage is 127 mpg. The car is a blast to drive, always that smooth, torquey electric drive feel, and don't believe this BS that it runs out of steam above 30 mph, I can easily blow by slowpokes in the carpool lane, something gas powered hybrids can't do very well. Best car I've ever owned in my 53 years of driving.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Denali/2006/black

I had the pleasure of having a Volt for a week to drive. I only live 10 Miles from work so only used battery power. This car had 6,900 miles on it and has a average MPG of 243 which blew me away. It is so very quite and smooth driving and riding. I also found that it is No Dog and handling is better than most of all the cars I have driven in the last 50 years. The fir and finish are also top notch. At last had to give it up, was one of the hardest thing I ever had to do. Would I buy one? YOU BET! Working on that now.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkimura View Post
    I've had my Volt for 24 months, just under 20,000 miles and my average lifetime mileage is 127 mpg. The car is a blast to drive, always that smooth, torquey electric drive feel, and don't believe this BS that it runs out of steam above 30 mph, I can easily blow by slowpokes in the carpool lane, something gas powered hybrids can't do very well. Best car I've ever owned in my 53 years of driving.
    You can feel the Volt pull back at around 50 mph. Up until then it pulls very smoothly and powerfully. But, from what I've read, GM made the Volt pull back at that point to ensure it got maximum range.

My attitude is that that was rather nearsighted. I think that type of thinking is fine in normal mode, but in Sport mode it should just throw as many electrons at the motors as they can handle. I feel that if you've put it in Sport you're willing to sacrifice some range for peppier performance.

As to blasting by people, I agree. Off a light or in and around town it easily pulls away from most cars -- or more accurately, how most cars are driven . The torque the Volt has is noticeable every day I drive it. And it makes driving the Volt a blast.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    You can feel the Volt pull back at around 50 mph. Up until then it pulls very smoothly and powerfully. But, from what I've read, GM made the Volt pull back at that point to ensure it got maximum range.

My attitude is that that was rather nearsighted. I think that type of thinking is fine in normal mode, but in Sport mode it should just throw as many electrons at the motors as they can handle. I feel that if you've put it in Sport you're willing to sacrifice some range for peppier performance.

As to blasting by people, I agree. Off a light or in and around town it easily pulls away from most cars -- or more accurately, how most cars are driven . The torque the Volt has is noticeable every day I drive it. And it makes driving the Volt a blast.
    I raced a Volt in my Suburban. I lost by about a fender to 60. Considering I've pulled in a bunch of riced out civics in my burb the Volt is pretty quick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
    I raced a Volt in my Suburban. I lost by about a fender to 60. Considering I've pulled in a bunch of riced out civics in my burb the Volt is pretty quick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Road and Track has the performance numbers for the Leaf and Volt. If you look at the numbers you can see a slow down around 40-50mph, exactly where you can feel the car literally feel as if it's backing off.

If the car continued to pull as it was up to 40mph it would probably hit 0-60 in 7.5s or so. If it could keep the 1.1 - 1.2s per 10mph it does to 30mph it would hit 60 in less than 6s.

I am wondering if GM freed up the programming a bit to allow a much faster 0-60 for the ELR. If it does 6-6.5s, which I think is with the realm of possibilities, then the ELR is going to surprise a lot of people in a good way.
    Last edited by zete; 04-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information