GM Inside News Forum banner

Electric cars vs. plug-in hybrids: Which gets better economy?

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  zete 
#1 ·
Electric cars vs. plug-in hybrids: Which gets better economy?
By David Booth, Postmedia News

The automobile industry’s Holy Grail, the search for the alternative to the traditional internal combustion engine, is proving much more elusive than even a full-blown skeptic might had imagined. Electric vehicle sales have been a disaster. Hybrid sales, despite being 15 years on the market and with tons of positive publicity, account for less than 3% of the North American vehicle market. Indeed, if you take Toyota’s immensely successful lineup of Prius models out of the equation, sales of all types of “electrified” vehicles have been incredibly disappointing.

:

Thankfully (OK, hopefully), we at Driving are in the illumination business and, in the interest of providing clarity, recently tested Chevrolet’s latest extended-range Volt versus the brand-new plug-in version of Toyota’s Prius. We also brought along a couple of conventional cars — Ford’s Fusion, with its much touted EcoBoost 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine, and Audi’s A3, with its slightly less conventional 2.0L TDI turbodiesel — to provide a baseline for all our fuel economy measurements. And while we can’t guarantee our explanations and test results will be free of complication, we can promise that, if you manage to wade through all the fuel economy ratings contained herein, there will be some of that promised clarity.

:

FINAL THOUGHTS

In the final analysis, each of these cars will find their acolytes. The Chevrolet is by far the more elegant engineering solution. It is a true electric vehicle with the backup of a gas engine to quell one’s range anxiety. But, because it offers both full electric and gasoline powertrains, it is significantly heavier than the Prius (1,715 kilograms versus 1,435, thanks mostly to that humongous under-seat battery), hence its off-electricity fuel consumption disadvantage. For much the same reason, it’s also more expensive; the PHEV Prius is cheaper ($35,700 base MSRP versus $42,000) and offers more standard equipment.

On the other hand, the Prius’ interior is not as nicely finished as the Volt’s, nor is its highway comportment as refined. And frugal it may be, but for the first 50 kilometres or so it can’t match the Chevy’s emission-free motoring. Indeed, the most telling figure in this comparison of extended-range electric vehicle and plug-in hybrid technology is this:

The very best fuel economy we saw on the Prius’s readout — 1.8 L/100 km during one of its initial 22-km “EV” sessions — was what our test Volt has averaged in its lifetime.

Essentially, the Prius plug-in is the ultimate evolution of the hybrid technology that has been the primary “alternative” automotive solution of the last 15 years. It is everything the current leader in automotive “green” knows about making a hybrid. The Volt, on the other hand, is the industry’s first look at what is sure to be an even more electrified future.

More at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
Essentially, the Prius plug-in is the ultimate evolution of the hybrid technology that has been the primary “alternative” automotive solution of the last 15 years. It is everything the current leader in automotive “green” knows about making a hybrid. The Volt, on the other hand, is the industry’s first look at what is sure to be an even more electrified future.
That's what I've been saying for years. Nice to see the media starting to state the same truth.

I do love the fact that during their long term tests of each the Prius's best EV-rated fuel economy was 1.8l/100km which is what the journalists experienced over the lifetime of their Volt tester.

For the curious, after 17 months and nearly 27,000km we're averaging 1.5l/100km (that's 2 winters, 1 summer). By the time the car is 2 years old in late October we figure it'll average about 1.3l/100km or so. I'd love to get to 1l/100km :) but considering the longer trips we do in summer, I doubt it. Note that after the first full year of driving we averaged 1.4l/100km.

#3 · (Edited)
Carmakers are still trying to work out how much electrification is required,
the truth is that it's not just one car or one specific amount.

The whole point is to eliminate fuel usage and replace it with electric power,
so the only questions remaining are how much do you replace and how much does it cost.

Another market to explore is the performance hybrid/Electric vehicle which might consist of a Camaro
with say, a Voltec battery, a 400 hp electric motor and a North/South version of Volt's I-4.
Such a vehicle would have breath taking performance thanks to the electric motors and the ability
in "HP mode" to replenish the battery on the run if needed whilst also providing the "run flat" safety net.

#4 ·
A few points for thought
they IMHO redefined an EV to cover the VOLT as a TRUE EV would FAIL to finish there test runs
"B" the VOLT would not NEED the FULL 10 HR charge every night for AVERAGE users as MOST people do NOT commute 50+ K a day and if a commute averages 20-30K there is plenty of EV range after for runs to the shops ETC
"3" the TRUE EV would require a DEDICATED 240V charge wiring which is a few Grand at the minimum and MORE if your panel/ wiring to the Garage/stall is not up to the task and that should be a cost add on not REQUIRED for the VOLT OR PiP
"4" I see the PiP as the furthest extension of Parallel Hybrid drive and the VOLT is a "clean sheet" look at a BETTER hybrid not a better Battery EV car and GM's insistence the VOLT is an EV IMHO is doing more harm as most People I know think/thought the VOLT is like the leaf and BATT goes dead so does the car and most people get Hybrid but with 50+ K range B4 the engine kicks in

#5 ·
"3" the TRUE EV would require a DEDICATED 240V charge wiring which is a few Grand at the minimum and MORE if your panel/ wiring to the Garage/stall is not up to the task and that should be a cost add on not REQUIRED for the VOLT OR PiP
Several thousand dollars to run the equivalent of a clothes dryer or hot tub circuit to your garage? Or does that include the price of the charger?

#7 ·
Good grief - the VaporVolt is a lazy engineering effort of the first order. If you were to set out to build a vehicle like that, you'd never think of something that lame.

First, you'd never have a gasoline engine nor would it be that huge. Second, you'd not make it so awkward - it just isn't efficiently arranged. You'd have half the cylinders, bio-diesel capable, and you'd rethink relying on just engine/brake power generation options to augment a battery. Sadly, this car is about what you'd expect from an 8th grade science student.

As a college student 30 years ago, I went beyond the VaporVolt in theory. I can't believe how utterly pathetic that vehicle is - so damned mediocre and childish.

#8 ·
On a cost-benefit-enjoyment basis, I say a diesel wins hands down. I just drove an Audi A8 diesel. First one the dealer got. It was a blast. Felt like a big old Detroit mobile from take off. Wafted along with great ease. And when you put your foot into it the low deep rumble of the engine is marvelous.

Oh, and EPA 24/36. In a huge, luxurious beast of a car. Sheer pleasure.

Nonetheless, the Cadillac ELR intrigues. Advanced drive systems are a luxury. Why shouldn't they be in luxury cars?

#11 ·
There's a whole lot of analysis of EV's and electrification just based on the first baby steps we've seen so far. People want to make these big pronouncements about flops and failures and so on to act like Big Daddy Journalists, when we've barely seen the potential of electrification. IMO, Volt 2.0 will likely be a bigger game changer than Volt 1.0, maybe breaking into Prius sales territory. Plus what if something drives gasoline prices up a couple of bucks along with perhaps increased worry about the pounding effects of global warming (clearly the public's attention on that is trending upward)? Things could shift a lot faster toward the EV and its variants than most people are predicting. I actually think there's a better than 50/50 chance of that trend shift occurring before the end of this decade.

#12 ·
Everything except the actual drivetrain can and should be emphasized for running off of electric. Current designs in most cars could easily allow for electric power steering, electric cooling fans, accessories, etc. and it would all help improve economy without implementing these stratospherically complex hybrid systems that nobody wants and can't afford anyway if they did want one.

#13 ·
As useful as this test is, the problem with it comes down to this.

Markets are too unfamiliar with range extended electric vehicles or plug in hybrid vehicles. What set of testing can a consumer group use in order to get results that are the most applicable to the average consumers. While a lot of people may go on a 200KM trip often (124 miles for those who are not too familiar with metric) normal trips do not often include these ranges. The average miles driven per day is around 36 miles a day (really this estimate comes down to whos data you use and what parameters you use). The truth is, in taking that into consideration then suddenly the 10,000 miles between tank stories make sense (though these may be on the extreme side). What seems to be normal though is people average 200+MPG with their Volt, suddenly that overly optimistic 230MPG marketing push makes sense. My daily commute involves 18 miles of driving a day to and from work and maybe some local driving which would amount to 3-5 miles. AT the most I may drive 23 miles a day with some rare trips exceeding 80 miles both ways. Fact is for me I would get much lower fuel consumption in Chevy Volt then I would in a Toyota Prius plug in.

On the flip side if I commuted much longer (this article states that 160KM is a turn point to when the Toyota becomes cheaper) that may be different. Though at 160KM (about 100 miles) even my longer trips wouldn't break that point. Really the only counter argument in this case to the Chevy Volt over the Toyota Prius plug in vehicle would be the Nissan Leaf. There is always the counter argument of, what if I want to do something like drive to Las Vegas for a quick week end trip (something that I can not do in the Leaf). Truth be told I don't even like Vegas that much however this is something that one would have to consider. Though maybe it makes more sense to rent a car for longer trips like that, or even better high speed rail (if and when it gets built).

I guess if you drive 100+ miles a day and do regular trips over the range of the Nissan Leaf then at the moment the Toyota Prius plug in vehicle makes sense. If you drive less then 90 miles a day and never ever make long trips then the Nissan Leaf. If you drive about 30-40 miles a day and make long trips from time to time then the Chevy Volt is the obvious shoe in.

#17 · (Edited)
My Wife & I are admittedly in the Volt's sweet spot, we don't need it for long drives, we live in GA (generally pretty warm), don't need it for motorsports, but despite buying it in early Dec 2012 (5 months ago) & therefore only having only a winter to it's name so far, here's what it's done -

View attachment 12732

It's up to estimating 53 electric-only miles out of the current charge (epa rated @38). It's done 4897 miles out of 5048 on electric. We haven't opened the gas cap yet.
When we first sat in it at the dealer's & turned the car on, it fired the gas engine up & performed maint mode which I estimate burned 1 gal (w/the car in 'park' the whole time). Additionally, although it's a guess, from the car's gas ga. the tank wasn't full, I estimate it had ~8 gal. On the first day I was putting it in mountain mode (which chews up gas/kills mileage) testing out/learning the technology in the car & because these don't happen anymore plus the fact that warmer weather is emerging, we're expecting miles per charge & miles per gallon to get even better. If the car had 8 gals to begin w/ & has 3 now then 5048mi/5gal = 1009.6mpg. It's my fault it's so low & we're hoping to get to 10,000 or so before too long. Electric costs us about 8.5c/kwh & the car's costing pessimistically 2 cents a mile to drive electric.
We'll never buy another gasoline car again.
I like what Toyota's done w/the Prius but for me 50mpg is Wayy too low. I do wonder if public perception will catch up before end of days tho & hoping to have an impact is why I post all this.

Thanks GM for the best car the world's never seen.

#21 ·
I wish our local authorities would force condominium builder to install wiring for 240V charging station in the parking lot of every new project.

Even if I don't have a electric car, or a plug-in hybrid or everything else between, if i ever build a house it would be charger-ready. As for now, I have to park on the street, but in a few years I plan to buy or build something else and I'll make sure I can plug my car.

We are paying between $0.054 and 0.078 / kWh but gas is sold around $ 1.40 ~ 1.50 / Liter (or about $5.60 to 6.00 / gallon). It does make sense to go electric.

#22 ·
I've had my Volt for 24 months, just under 20,000 miles and my average lifetime mileage is 127 mpg. The car is a blast to drive, always that smooth, torquey electric drive feel, and don't believe this BS that it runs out of steam above 30 mph, I can easily blow by slowpokes in the carpool lane, something gas powered hybrids can't do very well. Best car I've ever owned in my 53 years of driving.

#24 ·
You can feel the Volt pull back at around 50 mph. Up until then it pulls very smoothly and powerfully. But, from what I've read, GM made the Volt pull back at that point to ensure it got maximum range.

My attitude is that that was rather nearsighted. I think that type of thinking is fine in normal mode, but in Sport mode it should just throw as many electrons at the motors as they can handle. I feel that if you've put it in Sport you're willing to sacrifice some range for peppier performance.

As to blasting by people, I agree. Off a light or in and around town it easily pulls away from most cars -- or more accurately, how most cars are driven ;). The torque the Volt has is noticeable every day I drive it. And it makes driving the Volt a blast.

#23 ·
I had the pleasure of having a Volt for a week to drive. I only live 10 Miles from work so only used battery power. This car had 6,900 miles on it and has a average MPG of 243 which blew me away. It is so very quite and smooth driving and riding. I also found that it is No Dog and handling is better than most of all the cars I have driven in the last 50 years. The fir and finish are also top notch. At last had to give it up, was one of the hardest thing I ever had to do. Would I buy one? YOU BET! Working on that now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.