Electric car charging without the plug

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Electric car charging without the plug

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,344 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Electric car charging without the plug

Plugless Power getting ready for real, wireless Chevy Volt charging

by Sebastian Blancoon Aug 1st 2011 at 1:02PM
    in autoblog green
    http://green.autoblog.com/2011/08/01...vy-volt-charg/

Evatran's Plugless Power wireless/proximity charging system continues to evolve. In the photo gallery below, you can see that the new circular sensor is quite different from the large rectangle that was on display at the Plug-In 2010 Conference. It's not only the shape that's changing. From the wall to the car, Plugless Power's system is around 90-91 percent efficient, and the efficiency across the gap is an astonishing 97 percent. A year ago, the overall efficiency was just 80 percent.

Co-Founder and CEO Tom Hough told AutoblogGreen at the Plug-In 2011 Conference that the new system is even easier to use than it was. Once a plug-in car has been upgraded with the charge receiver, the driver just needs to be close to the sending unit to get power. The discs can be a half-radius off and still charge. Hough told us that, "even the die-hards said plugging in was a pain the rear." If you're not sold on the convenience angle, then how about the idea that there is nothing mechanical to break with this system? In the old model, a part inside the rectangle moved back and forth to find the in-car receiver. It worked, but it wasn't as elegant as the new device.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Electric car charging without the plug

Some highways are currently testing wireless charging and have for months

Thanks
    My Ride
    Buick !

This is great stuff ...

Since I was a kid I had these dreams about driving across the country and never having to stop for refueling.

My dream maybe coming true.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

This would be a great marketing tool for grocery stores and malls to use to entice EV car owners with this receiver unit in their cars to come shop at their locations! Special parking spots with these units either at the front of the parking spot or better yet, in the pavement under the car!!!
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

Thanks

If you really stream line this by encoding the car to provide a consumer code back to the charger which has payment info and carries a running tab for you, sending you the bill once a month...... you just park and go, get in and go. No buttons, no fumbling, no nothing.

I have to admit I'm really liking the EV evolution that is happening...... fun to watch

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

The problem is the competing designs, it would b enice if DARPA-E held a competition and picked a winner to standarize on.. there is a company getting 94% with their wireless setup, higher than what you get using a manual plug!

The Germans are hot and heavy on stuff like this... yet a few months ago they were dismissive of BEVs.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

It's likely that I'm not in the market for a new car for another 12-24 months, but honestly, I think the Volt, or a variant is my next vehicle.

This charging tech is a game changer. Can't get a whole lot easier than that.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacBixler View Post
    This would be a great marketing tool for grocery stores and malls to use to entice EV car owners with this receiver unit in their cars to come shop at their locations! Special parking spots with these units either at the front of the parking spot or better yet, in the pavement under the car!!!
    Great idea! Charge up while you shop. Imagine if some of the power came from a solar array on the roof of the business.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    If you really stream line this by encoding the car to provide a consumer code back to the charger which has payment info and carries a running tab for you, sending you the bill once a month...... you just park and go, get in and go. No buttons, no fumbling, no nothing.

I have to admit I'm really liking the EV evolution that is happening...... fun to watch
    I agree, great idea. The car could have a payment interface... when the car senses the charging pad in proximity, a screen pops up asking you to authorise the charge. It links to an account... one click and you're charging. This is too exciting, I love the idea!

fp115, you're saying that the concept is going even further, and that cars can charge while driving down the highway?!? If that's the case, then I'm even more excited! What a fantastic idea!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Are they going to put bars on top of the cars like those Go-Carts at the carnival?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    fp115, you're saying that the concept is going even further, and that cars can charge while driving down the highway?!? If that's the case, then I'm even more excited! What a fantastic idea!
    It really isn't that difficult to create systems that could charge electric vehicles while they drive. It's really as simple as installing magnets in the road and having a coil on the bottom of the vehicle which would generate a charge via induction. The idea is pretty simple but implementation would be fairly costly and efficiency might be somewhat low.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,721 Times in 4,661 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by ejfx View Post
    This is great stuff ...

Since I was a kid I had these dreams about driving across the country and never having to stop for refueling.

My dream maybe coming true.
    Do those dreams include some one-gallon jugs for peeing?

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    It really isn't that difficult to create systems that could charge electric vehicles while they drive. It's really as simple as installing magnets in the road and having a coil on the bottom of the vehicle which would generate a charge via induction. The idea is pretty simple but implementation would be fairly costly and efficiency might be somewhat low.
    I believe this was invented by a POW group, Hogan's Heroes, during WWII. One of the group invented a De-Kunkulator which created power from stray rays. Or something like that.

Anyway, it seems like a good name for the device.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Both the Germans and S. Koreans have cars running around using this system, with wireless power transfer.

There are also stationary systems to recharge a large bus in 10 minutes.. the induction pad is on the roof of the bus and the system is automatic. No need to tear up the road to install that system..

vsd
    Thanks

I love all the evolution in electric cars, but I think hydrogen is the way to go until tech can allow a battery to be charged in minutes and not wear out.

Thanks

People will eagerly trade slow charging vs the ability to refuel at home with cheap electricity.. but yes you will need a fast charge system for long distance hwy travel.. a 30 minute break to recharge after 3 hours of driving is not bad for the occasional long distance traveler.. otherwise get a Volt type electric and put up with all the ICE headaches.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information