E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    http://www.aaafuelgaugereport.com/

    We all know that E85 is cheaper than gasoline. But critics have responded that since it has less energy than gasoline, you end up using more, so the cheaper price is more than offset by the greater consumption. Of course, this is a valid point.

    Well, things are changing. According to AAA, in the past month, the price of regular gasoline has gone up nearly $.07. The price of E85 has gone down $.18. As a result, on a national basis, even after adjusting for E85's lower energy content, it now is cheaper than premium gasoline, and is within $.09 of mid-grade gasoline.

    This trend will continue. Ethanol production continues to increase rapidly. And although the cheap dollar makes imported oil more expensive, it has no impact on the price of domestic ethanol.

    The law of supply and demand is a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 09-27-2007 at 04:43 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,969
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Not here it isn't- still a ripoff!

  4. #3
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    14,963
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 153 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Still no E85 stations in NJ.

    87 Octane around me, Lowest price is 2.45 a gallon (and its pumped for you )
    Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 09-27-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

    Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    I've got 2 E85 pumps within reasonable distance and those stations have priced it the same as regular unleaded, so I don't know where this article is coming from. I always recommend my customers ignore E85 because it's a ripoff.

  7. #5
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 GMFreak8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Malone, New York
    Posts
    2,415
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grymm
    I've got 2 E85 pumps within reasonable distance and those stations have priced it the same as regular unleaded, so I don't know where this article is coming from. I always recommend my customers ignore E85 because it's a ripoff.

    If I could could get E85 and my Suburban was capable of running it, I'd run it exclusively, even if I had to pay a few cents more. It's a domestic renewable resource, which is the only reason I'd consider it to begin with.

    Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine. Hidden Content

  8. #6
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rhvfd10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Douglas County, NV & UC Davis, CA
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    I can't wait until an E85 station opens in my hometown! It was in the paper last week. The station will have biodiesel made by the company, and E85.

    http://www.recordcourier.com/article...NEWS/109190022

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grymm
    I've got 2 E85 pumps within reasonable distance and those stations have priced it the same as regular unleaded, so I don't know where this article is coming from. I always recommend my customers ignore E85 because it's a ripoff.
    It surveys thousands of pumps accross the nation. The fact that two stations near you overprice it does not change the result of the national survey. Either demand is high or supply is low in your area. E85 is $1.94 in Indianapolis.

    Your argument is like say "I went into a grocery store near me and I saw a gallon of milk past the expiration date. I tell all my customers to ignore dairy products. They are spoiled."
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 09-27-2007 at 04:40 PM.

  10. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,969
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    Do some states tax just the gasoline content of the fuel & not the alcohol...hence the price variation here versus North Carolina where likearock00 is???
    Very good question. I will have to investigate that! The closest E-85 station is about 35 miles from my house so I wouldn't fill up on it very often. It would be good if it were cheaper and I was going down to Charlotte or something. I won't go out of my way for it until it goes down around GMCSonoma's price!

  11. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    I don't think GM has ever claimed that E85 is the answer to all of our energy problems. I do see it as an alternative to gas issues we face in this country. In my area, E85 has been running $.40 cheaper than regular unleaded. At $.40 it is just about a wash maybe even in your favor to run E85. However, even at just a wash I would run it because it is from the USA and it is renewable.

  12. #10
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    We were told at an E85 seminar that a 50 cent per gallon savings was the break even point. In our area it only seems to be a 20 to 30 cent saving for now, but I am sure that will continue to get better as more pumps come online. Most of my customers that have used E85 are reporting very poor mileage. One point people should know too, is that because of the lower BTU in the E85, it is NOT recommended for towing!

  13. #11
    Chevrolet VOLT eaton53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,778
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Here is Illinois the difference is about 80 cents a gallon. E85 is less than 2 bucks.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award


    2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

  14. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Quote Originally Posted by eaton53
    Here is Illinois the difference is about 80 cents a gallon. E85 is less than 2 bucks.
    You should go to www.e85prices.com and report that.

  15. #13
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 192 Times in 86 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Quote Originally Posted by BPGseller
    One point people should know too, is that because of the lower BTU in the E85, it is NOT recommended for towing!
    I'd like to learn more about this cause I don't understand how towing or any other vehicle operation could be limited while running E85.

    Ethanol has less BTU but aren't the vehicle fuel and trim calibrations adjusted when running pure gasoline, pure E85 or any mix in between?

    I was also under the impression that factory equipped flex fuel vehicles come with larger rated injectors and maybe a fuel pump rated at more gallons per minute (GPM) to make up for the less BTU issue with more fuel volume when running E85?

    Heck there are aftermarket programmers available for certain vehicles to enable them to run E85. Only modifying here is code in the PCM to adjust fuel delivery for E85.
    Last edited by joemac; 09-27-2007 at 05:25 PM.

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,727
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 884 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    http://www.aaafuelgaugereport.com/

    This trend will continue. Ethanol production continues to increase rapidly. And although the cheap dollar makes imported oil more expensive, it has no impact on the price of domestic ethanol.

    The law of supply and demand is a wonderful thing.
    I won't be surprised to see the price of ethanol going even more lower with the arrival of cellulosic ethanol.

  17. #15
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: E85 price in a free fall - even after adjusting for BTUs

    Here in Indianapolis - Meijer stations were always keeping e85 about 20 cents cheaper than regular. Within the past month or so, that seems to have permanently changed to about 30 cents less than regular, which I believe makes it at least equal to regular in your true out-of-pocket expense.
    -Dan
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT Z71
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Convertible

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2