GM Inside News Forum banner

E85 (adjusted for lower energy content) once again cheaper than mid-grade gasoline

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  treekiller 
#1 ·
National Averages:

Unleaded Regular: $3.100/gallon
Unleaded Mid-grade: $3.291/gallon
Unleaded Premium: $3.411/gallon

Diesel: $3.441/gallon

E85 pump price: $2.500/gallon
E85 adjusted: $3.290

http://www.aaafuelgaugereport.com/

#13 ·
Oh but it IS my friend... http://www.motorworksperformance.com/p/DSFLX7193

with the predator tune it uses the same logic as the factory flex fuel versions, except.. it optimizes the E85 spark and fuel map to give more HP/Torque so your actual adjusted MPG is much better NICE EH!

#8 ·
Hoosier Ron,

I have found your posts about biofuels to be very informative and often over my head. I found you through my efforts at researching cellulosic biofuel plants which finally brought me to this forum. My interest in cellulosic plants is inspired by the recent news that our community is going to get an experimental 50 million gallon per year plant in our industrial park on the beautiful Tellico Lake here in Vonore, TN.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for it if it is environmentally safe and makes good economical sense, but not if it is going to use 4 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of ethanol as in a grain plant. Where can I get facts like that on cellulosic plants? DO cellulosic plants emit a foul odor? DO cellulosic plants have polluted water as dangerous and as difficult to handle as that of a grain plant? What are the emissions into the air? Into the water? Into the soil?

Can you tell me where to get the answers? It seems there is little information since there are less than six operating in the US.

Sorry to use the forum for this kind of question, but time is ticking away. Thanks so much. susanbe

#9 ·
I am not sure that there are any cellulosic ethanol plants operating in the U.S. at this time. Nine have been announced. Several of those are under construction. There are ethanol companies that have "pilot programs" going, but "pilot" means that they are producing 1 million gallons per year, rather than 100 million gallons.

I'll keep an eye out for specific information. I do know that cellulosic ethanol plants use far less water than corn ethanol plants. I have never read that any ethanol plant emits a foul odor, although I have read where some emit a mild not unpleasant smell. I would strongly suspect that the smell can be controlled if the plant is put in a populated area.

#11 ·
Personally I am pro-anything-that-gets-us-off-OPEC-oil. The good thing about corn ethanol is that it is here and it is now and it is the cheapest form or ethanol you can get in the U.S. The downside is that the U.S. can only grown so much corn, and only so much of it can go to ethanol production. So there is a limit to how much corn ethanol we can make.

The good thing about cellulosic ethanol is that it uses less energy and less water. Also, we have way more cellulosic material so we can make way more cellulosic ethanol. Better yet, cellulose is everywhere, so you can put cellulosic ethanol plants in every state. The downside is that at this time, it is expensive to make. However, this is changing rapidly. Within 5 years, you will see an explosion of cellulosic ethanol plants. To see how quickly things are changing, see my post here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.