DuPont-BP to debut biobutanol in UK this fall

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: DuPont-BP to debut biobutanol in UK this fall

Thanks

DuPont-BP to debut biobutanol in UK this fall

DuPont develops world’s first advanced biofuel

“Biobutanol has about 85 percent of the energy content of gasoline,” says Anton. Existing automobiles can run on it without modification, and when it is blended with gasoline, as ethanol is today in many regions of the globe, it will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and petroleum use. “You’ll see basically no difference between gasoline and biobutanol,” Anton says.

Biobutanol will make its debut this fall in the United Kingdom. It is the brainchild of a partnership between DuPont, the second-largest chemical company in the United States, and energy company BP, which will distribute and market biobutanol mixed with gasoline. In addition to its higher energy content, biobutanol can be distributed through existing pipelines, while ethanol cannot. It also can be produced from a variety of plant crops -- wheat, corn, sugar cane and others.
    Biobutanol’s initial impact on climate change is not yet certain because that will depend on the mix of gasoline and biobutanol BP uses in the fuel. Anton believes the resulting fuel is likely to be around 16 percent biobutanol and 84 percent gasoline initially.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: DuPont-BP to debut biobutanol in UK this fall

But can you shove it in a Bic lighter?

Seriously, that's pretty cool. Seem to recall that the bio products provide less particulate and less CO emissions.

Still waiting though for a certain other large oil company to get off the dime and get cellulositic ethanol to the market in a very big way.

Thanks

Bio-fuels are carbon (CO and CO2) neutral. Biobutanol is added to gasoline, so particulates are not an issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Bio-fuels are carbon (CO and CO2) neutral. Biobutanol is added to gasoline, so particulates are not an issue.
    Dear GMI Readers,

This post has been officially sanitized. Had this been a worthwhile post, it would have remained intact.
    As it is, the system administrators are having a tough time scrapping it off the server motherboard.

We now return you to the excellence in alternative fuels threadcast.....
    Last edited by plane; 09-21-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks

It's carbon neutral in that the carbon produced by burning the biofuel was already in the air before it was absorbed by the plant used to make the biofuel.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Biobutanol’s initial impact on climate change is not yet certain because that will depend on the mix of gasoline and biobutanol BP uses in the fuel. Anton believes the resulting fuel is likely to be around 16 percent biobutanol and 84 percent gasoline initially.
    I don't understand this. It has already been well documented and demonstrated that today's automobiles, with absolutely no modifications run perfectly fine on 100% butanol.

The only thing I can come up with is DuPont had to make a deal withthe devil in order to get their product distributed. DuPont must have had to agree to a lower percentage in order to get their foot in the door.

Not mentioned in this article, by the way: DuPont is already testing their bibutanol here in the states. Testing has been going on for about a year now with bus and truck fleets.

Ethanol is a short term solution. Biobutanol is a medium term solution, eventually replacing ethanol as the main product for ICEs. Electric is obviously the long term solution, but liquid fuels will still be propelling our vehicles for decades to come.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

This is what I've been waiting for, mass biobutanol production. I can't wait until it hits the states.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 730 Posts

Butanol does sound good. It seems to be more like gasoline than ethanol is, so it would be easier to integrate into the gasoline supply and use streams. I haven't seen anything on cost though.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by racy
    I don't understand this. It has already been well documented and demonstrated that today's automobiles, with absolutely no modifications run perfectly fine on 100% butanol.

The only thing I can come up with is DuPont had to make a deal withthe devil in order to get their product distributed. DuPont must have had to agree to a lower percentage in order to get their foot in the door.

Not mentioned in this article, by the way: DuPont is already testing their bibutanol here in the states. Testing has been going on for about a year now with bus and truck fleets.

Ethanol is a short term solution. Biobutanol is a medium term solution, eventually replacing ethanol as the main product for ICEs. Electric is obviously the long term solution, but liquid fuels will still be propelling our vehicles for decades to come.
    I assume it is a matter of production limitations. Either they don't have the capacity to make unlimited biobutanol, or they could not sell it profitably. But given the quantity they can make, if they mix it at 16% with BP gasoline, they still can sell it profitably.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    I assume it is a matter of production limitations. Either they don't have the capacity to make unlimited biobutanol, or they could not sell it profitably. But given the quantity they can make, if they mix it at 16% with BP gasoline, they still can sell it profitably.
    When producing butanol organically, the mix is approximately 80% ethanol, 15% acetone, and 5% butanol. My numbers may be off, I didn't Wikipedia this before I posted, but I'm close. The yield organically, is very low compared to ethanol. I understand why ethanol is being pushed, we can make a LOT more of it...
    geozinger

95 Pontiac Sunfire GT (Quad4)
    97 Chevy Cavalier (245,000 miles & counting!)
    04 Pontiac Sunfire (Ecotec)
    09 Pontiac G6 Sedan (Ecotec & 6 speed)

Thanks

I like the idea of butanol, at least then no conversion would be required. If it was available I'd at least be considering it.
    No longer have the Cavalier, now it's a Cobalt!

Thanks

If bio-butanol works as well as ethanol it will be great - 15 per cent extra power and less pollution is what most fast car and supercar drivers want. Also, there is no need to change the whole fuel system as with ethanol, which sounds good.

Whether these fuels actually do save energy or just give us portable fuel is another matter. We will see no doubt.

gopublish at http://www.fast-autos.com

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information