Drunk on ethanol (LA Times editorial)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drunk on ethanol (LA Times editorial)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Drunk on ethanol (LA Times editorial)

Drunk on ethanol

Basing energy policy on corn could fuel a potential disaster.
    August 20, 2007

'Gasoline is going -- alcohol is coming. And it's coming to stay, too, for it's in unlimited supply. And we might as well get ready for it now."

Those words might have come from President George W. Bush, or just about any member of the U.S. Congress, or every major presidential candidate from both parties. All are euphorically drunk on ethanol (a fancy name for grain alcohol), seen as the miracle fuel that will simultaneously solve our global warming problem and end our reliance on foreign oil. Actually, though, they were uttered by automotive pioneer Henry Ford nearly a century ago.

Ford might have been a visionary, but he was badly mistaken about ethanol. Unfortunately, so are Bush et al.

Alcohol is best taken in moderation, and that applies to cars as much as people. Ethanol isn't all hype -- it's a promising alternative fuel that could stretch gasoline supplies and cut emissions. But as politicians try to outdo one another by approving ever-bigger ethanol subsidies, production mandates and research grants, few are considering the environmental and economic effects of a massive, rapid rise in ethanol production. These are so severe that unless the mania ends soon, they could far outweigh any gains.

Continued at link... http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...ck=2&cset=true

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Drunk on ethanol (LA Times editorial)

Please note that this is an editorial on the opinion page.

Thanks

Interesting article. The more I read about ethanol, the less enthused I get.

Henry Ford, whose Model T ran on ethanol, made the mistake of thinking alcohol for motor fuel could be made in limitless supply. He didn't count on how widespread his invention would become, nor the fact that the world's population would grow so large that there wouldn't be enough agricultural land or fresh water on Earth to feed us all. We may have already passed that point, and the human population is expected to rise an additional 50% or so by 2050. This means that turning vast quantities of food into fuel is a recipe for global starvation. Ethanol will definitely play a role in our future energy mix, but not the starring role its advocates predict.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Hence the title of the post: "Drunk on ethanol (LA Times editorial)"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If using land that would otherwise be used to grow food for fuel is the way we are going to keep the population down, then I'M ALL FOR IT. Shoot, you can't tell me that the 50% increase in population will have no negative affects on the environment, either.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do peole not understand that Ethanol isn't only made of corn or other crops? BioEthanol can me made out of pretty much anything. Them the arguement is "how much fossil fiel did it take to make?" Well, how much fossil fuel does it take to make gasoline?

Ethanol isn't perfect, nor is it the fuel of the future. It is simply a way to cut oil imports in the near-term (0-20 years). I'm also a believer in BioButanol, BioDiesel, Hydrogen and Electricity.

Lets quit making excuses and bitching and just move forward. Either we move to other fuels or we go back to the dark ages, but this time, no meat because it's cuel to animals.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

This idiot is forgetting that Ethanol can be made out of more than just corn. It can even be made out of things that would otherwise be considered waste. So much for his "disaster."
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - 112,000 mi.

1G6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member 1G6's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shabodah
    If using land that would otherwise be used to grow food for fuel is the way we are going to keep the population down, then I'M ALL FOR IT. Shoot, you can't tell me that the 50% increase in population will have no negative affects on the environment, either.
    Whiny liberals change pet causes as the situation dictates. The overpopulation cause won't be hauled out by the L.A. Times unless they're debating abortion rights.
    2008 Buick Lucerne CXL - Hidden Content
    1994 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency - Hidden Content
    1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - Hidden Content

Thanks

I'd debate the voracity of this article, but I'm too lazy to sign up for the LA Times online access.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I would recommend watching http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/

The 8/19 show on ethanol was impressive.

I think it has a lot of potiential especially in 5 years when the celloise (sp) ethanol is produced for 60 cents rather than the 2.50 a gallon that the present corn based ethanol is costing.

I happen to believe there is some very good things being discussed in this show.

I recommend watching it and then decide.

JB
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 08-20-2007 at 07:28 PM.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

Regardless of how good or bad ethanol itself is as a fuel, the most important part of any renewable fuel is that it does do something to reduce our need for current non renewable fuels.

It may not be perfect, it may not be the ultimate solution, but if we continue to knock any alternate fuel that is suggested, all we end up with is no change at all and in 10-15-20 years or whenever we really do hit the crunch time, everyone screams and complains about why we didn't do anything back then (right now) and these will be the same ones who said that fuel X was a waste of time.
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Cellulosic ethanol may be amazing and all, but as long as GM has that stupid popcorn ad with the Tahoes; ethanol is going to be associated with corn.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06
    I would recommend watching http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/

The 8/19 show on ethanol was impressive.

I think it has a lot of potiential especially in 5 years when the celloise (sp) ethanol is produced for 60 cents rather than the 2.50 a gallon that the present corn based ethanol is costing.

I happen to believe there is some very good things being discussed in this show.

I recommend watching it and then decide.

JB

Agree 100% here.........Corn is just a short term supply for making ethanol here. Biomass is the future.....
    35 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree Worked in 4 different assembly plants and a Delphi battery plant
    2016 Buick Encore
    1968 Camaro Coupe 327 250HP Turbo 350 (Restoring)
    21 yr. Retired Volunteer Firefighter

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamwin
    Cellulosic ethanol may be amazing and all, but as long as GM has that stupid popcorn ad with the Tahoes; ethanol is going to be associated with corn.
    I thought that pretty much all GM ads have stopped emphasizing ethanol, or at least most of them. Which one are they showing or producing now has corn?

Another thing, it doesn't matter all that much if the people think its from corn or from cells, or whatever. As long as it does a better job, has a cheaper price, and cuts down on fuel consumption, they are going to use it.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Yup, and pretty much every one of the naysayers are flatly ignoring all of the press releases regarding cellulosic ethanol. They cannot fan the flames of fear if they take the very core of their argument (corn is unsustainable as a source), and throw it over their shoulder.

Oh well, the L.A. Times isn't worth lining a birdcage with already. What's another unsubstantiated fear article?
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information