Don't throw out that turkey grease!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Don't throw out that turkey grease!

Thanks

Don't throw out that turkey grease!

San Fransisco Starts The Nation's First Citywide Program That Collects Waste Grease to Create Biofuel for Municipal Fleet

SFGreasecycle is a program that was developed by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) as a sustainable alternative to combat sewer blockages caused in part by excess cooking oils and fats discharged down drains from restaurants and homes. Each year, the SFPUC estimates that 50% of sewer emergency calls are related to backups caused by grease blockages costing their ratepayers $3.5 million a year in repairs.

"We’re taking a serious City problem and using the best available technology to save our ratepayers’ money and do something good for the environment," said SFPUC General Manager Susan Leal. "For every 5 gallons of grease we collect and keep out of our sewers, we displace 5 gallons of petroleum diesel. That is a net 100 pound reduction in carbon emission."
    Recycled FOG from San Francisco restaurants is estimated to generate 1.5 million gallons of biofuel each year. 59 restaurants have already signed up for the SFGreasecycle program before its launch with more expressing interest every day.
    Mayor Newsom and the SFPUC also announced that this Thanksgiving, residents can drop-off their holiday waste cooking oil for conversion to biodiesel for the City fleet at Costco, located at 450 10th Street. The Costco drop-off location will be open from November 23-26 during their normal operating hours of Friday, 9-8:30pm; Saturday, 9:30-7:00pm; Sunday, 10-6pm; and Monday, 11-8:30pm.

For more information or to sign up for the SFPUC’s free restaurant waste oil collection service, please call (415) 695-7366 or visit sfgreasecycle.org.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: Hey Mgescuro: Don't throw out that turkey grease!

Yup. I saw that a few weeks ago in the paper here. I didn't know you could recycle all of that stuff.

But hey, the City has a reputation for recycling, having one of the first recycling programs in the country. The City is very well regarded around the world. This comes as no surprise.

Plus we instituted the first ban on plastic bags at grocery stores a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Yup. I saw that a few weeks ago in the paper here. I didn't know you could recycle all of that stuff.

But hey, the City has a reputation for recycling, having one of the first recycling programs in the country. The City is very well regarded around the world. This comes as no surprise.

Plus we instituted the first ban on plastic bags at grocery stores a few weeks ago.
    no paper or plastic question anymore?

Cool!

I know most if not all public buses in Ann Arbor are hybrids that run on biofuels, so they're doing their part in 'da midwest' too

CobaltSScrazy

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSScrazy View Post
    no paper or plastic question anymore?

Cool!
    Nope. Simply Paper.
    And some of the restaurants out there no longer use plastic utensils or plates or cups. They're made out of paper or corn. So it's all biodegradable.
    I just noticed that because I just got lunch, and the fork is biodegradable.. and the napkin uses recycled paper. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSScrazy View Post
    I know most if not all public buses in Ann Arbor are hybrids that run on biofuels, so they're doing their part in 'da midwest' too
    Oh we got that too. Daimler hybrids, not GM though. But hybrid is a hybrid.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Nope. Simply Paper.
    And some of the restaurants out there no longer use plastic utensils or plates or cups. They're made out of paper or corn. So it's all biodegradable.
    I just noticed that because I just got lunch, and the fork is biodegradable.. and the napkin uses recycled paper. LOL
    That's awesome. It probably wouldn't be a tasty treat or anything, but if your fork is made out of corn, could you eat it too?
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    That's awesome. It probably wouldn't be a tasty treat or anything, but if your fork is made out of corn, could you eat it too?
    Not that I know of. I doubt it's edible though.

Thanks

Re: Don't throw out that turkey grease!

There's a company in my hometown that will pay $.50 a gallon for used cooking oil from restaurants of all types. Of course anyone can give them used oil but you can only get paid for large (drum sized) batches. They have a truck that makes the rounds of all the local restaurants and you can buy biodiesel from them for $3.50 a gallon.

http://www.bentlybiofuels.com

It's almost hard to believe that 5 years ago everyone had to pay to get rid of the stuff.

Thanks

It is quite amazing what the politicians can think of to control the behaviour of simpletons while they ride to work in their chaufered stretch limos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluecon View Post
    It is quite amazing what the politicians can think of to control the behaviour of simpletons while they ride to work in their chaufered stretch limos.
    At least the limos are flex fuel.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 01IntrigueGX's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice. Our CATA bus system in East Lansing has a few 60 foot hybrid partitioned buses, along with a few 39 foot hybrid-electric busses. All of which are made by New Flyer which purchases the GM Hybrid transmission system. However, the majority of CATA buses are still normal diesel power-trains, but are low-emission vehicles.
    In the Garage:
    2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6
    2013 Ford C-Max SE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

Apparently that ban affected stores in most of Norcal, becuase every grocery I've been to seems to offer incentives for using reusable bags.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Apparently that ban affected stores in most of Norcal, becuase every grocery I've been to seems to offer incentives for using reusable bags.
    It certainly is a good thing!!! Even Macy's is offering reusable bags too. Buy them for $2 each... $1 goes to protecting the environment or whatever the sign said.

Thanks

Buying bags??? Paper bags only??? I am glad Michigan doesn't buy into this crap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesky View Post
    Buying bags??? Paper bags only??? I am glad Michigan doesn't buy into this crap.

That's true! Why help save the environment? I would buy a bag for $2 and reuse it.
    Last edited by bhoppes; 12-03-2007 at 07:41 AM.
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    1989 Cadillac Brougham
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (7,000 original miles with factory Astroroof) Hidden Content
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (11,000 original miles with factory t-tops) Hidden Content
    1972 Oldsmobile 442 Hidden Content
    1966 Oldsmobile 442 (one owner, needs resto)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats smart, getting two birds with one stone. Hopefully other cities might do the same thing.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information