Corn ethanol plant powered by landfill methane

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Corn ethanol plant powered by landfill methane

Thanks

Corn ethanol plant powered by landfill methane

Methane generated from Sioux Falls Regional Landfill to provide energy for POET ethanol plant

Natural gas displacement will reduce CO2 emissions by 26,000 tons, cut ethanol plant operating costs and generate revenue for the landfill
    4/10/2008

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (April 10, 2008) - An agreement between POET and the City of Sioux Falls will allow methane generated from the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill to provide energy for an ethanol production facility near Chancellor, S.D. Replacing a portion of the natural gas at POET Biorefining - Chancellor’s with methane from the landfill will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and operating costs for the ethanol plant while generating revenue for the landfill.

Under the agreement, the methane will initially displace 10 percent of the ethanol plant’s natural gas usage, increasing to 30 percent in 2025 as additional methane is generated. The methane, which is generated when municipal solid waste decomposes, will be transported by a 10 mile low-pressure pipeline. Construction is expected to be completed in Q2 2009. Displacement of natural gas will decrease CO2 emissions at the plant by 26,445 tons in 2010, the first full year that the system is operational.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Corn ethanol plant powered by landfill methane

I love reading stories like this. Always a good thing to derive fuel from something we have plenty of: trash.
    2008 Saturn VUE
    1998 Corvette Convertible
    1994 Buick Roadmaster

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Sounds like a win-win... sure beats burning it off.
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

This story shows that corn ethanol producers are constantly looking for ways to become more energy and cost efficient. I am sure POET is paying less for the methane than it is paying for natural gas. Given that the methane is otherwise unused or burned off, we should consider this a reduction in the amount of energy needed to create corn ethanol.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

A Weekend to Start Fixing the World
    As Finance Ministers Convene Here, Multiple Crises Test Their Ability to Cope

Men are detained in Port-au-Prince for allegedly looting as Haiti is hit with riots over food prices. (By Brennan Linsley -- Associated Press)

By Neil Irwin and Michael A. Fletcher
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, April 11, 2008; Page D01

Financial markets are tumbling. The world economy is starting to sputter. Food prices have shot up so far, so fast, that there are riots in the streets of many poor nations

This was from today's Washington Post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    A Weekend to Start Fixing the World
    As Finance Ministers Convene Here, Multiple Crises Test Their Ability to Cope

Men are detained in Port-au-Prince for allegedly looting as Haiti is hit with riots over food prices. (By Brennan Linsley -- Associated Press)

By Neil Irwin and Michael A. Fletcher
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, April 11, 2008; Page D01

Financial markets are tumbling. The world economy is starting to sputter. Food prices have shot up so far, so fast, that there are riots in the streets of many poor nations

This was from today's Washington Post.
    Gosh, I wonder what Haitians did before the the UN and NGOs and the World Bank and such turned them into welfare clients. My guess is that prior to Haitian men standing at the port, waiting to unload free American food, they actually went and grew their own. But expecting Haiti, or a Haitian community, to be self-sufficient (or otherwise able to function in the world economy) is unthinkable.

Anyway, if George Bush starts to feel sharp stabbing pains in his back, we will know why.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

Great use of what is typicall wasted fuel. I used to drive by a landfill and always saw them burning it all off. One day the burn off tower disappeared. Apparently they are piping it to a near by natural gas power plant. I don't care if they use it for ethanol or to supply the electrical grid as long as they don't just burn it off for nothing.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Gosh, I wonder what Haitians did before the the UN and NGOs and the World Bank and such turned them into welfare clients. My guess is that prior to Haitian men standing at the port, waiting to unload free American food, they actually went and grew their own. But expecting Haiti, or a Haitian community, to be self-sufficient (or otherwise able to function in the world economy) is unthinkable.

Anyway, if George Bush starts to feel sharp stabbing pains in his back, we will know why.
    High food prices are all over the world - not just Haiti. China is experiencing real strife in the rural areas because of skyrocketing commodity prices.

The reason third world countries can't 'grow their own' as you say, is exactly because of US agriculture subsidies - they make it impossible for poor nations to compete.

The ethanol subsidies only augment the negative effect of US Ag. subsidies - they'll make a bad situation even worse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post

The reason third world countries can't 'grow their own' as you say, is exactly because of US agriculture subsidies - they make it impossible for poor nations to compete.
    That's why we have tariffs.

I agree with you. When the UN and such hands out foreign food for free, it drives local farmers out of business. The U.S. should do Haiti a favor, and cut off all food aid. Instead, give them some John Deere (or Case) tractors, some starter seeds and perhaps some technical help for irrigation.

I would love for all countries to be independent when it comes to food. Stop the exportation of U.S. corn, and it would leave a lot more for us to turn into ethanol.

Thanks

Enough with the ethanol! All congress has managed to do is drive up the price of corn and fill the pockets of companies like ADM! The U.S. exports an insane amount of food stuffs. We don't eat any where near the amount of corn we grow. Ethanol has driven up the price of corn and thats it. In 10 years we will still have the same high gas prices, ethanol will have done nothing!

Ethanol is beyond stupid as a fuel. Get real people.

Thanks

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Hunid Racks's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EatonISgay View Post
    Enough with the ethanol! All congress has managed to do is drive up the price of corn and fill the pockets of companies like ADM! The U.S. exports an insane amount of food stuffs. We don't eat any where near the amount of corn we grow. Ethanol has driven up the price of corn and thats it. In 10 years we will still have the same high gas prices, ethanol will have done nothing!

Ethanol is beyond stupid as a fuel. Get real people.

When I see and hear responses to ethanol like this one I wonder how much mis-information is out there. And who benefits and spreads it.

IMO, those that tell me that ethanol is such a lousy fuel are kindred with those that were convinced the world was flat.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information