Corn down 25% on news that 2008 crop will be 2nd largest on record; E85 drops 4 cents

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn down 25% on news that 2008 crop will be 2nd largest on record; E85 drops 4 cents

Thanks

Corn down 25% on news that 2008 crop will be 2nd largest on record; E85 drops 4 cents

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY, DEPUTY AND FSA DISCUSS CONSERVATION RESERVE PROGRAM (CRP) DECISION

Despite the damage and disruption caused by the very severe floods that hit the Midwest last month, the indications so far are that the impact on this year's corn and soybean crops will be less than what was originally feared. The markets have been reacting favorably to the good growing weather we have been experiencing in recent weeks and encouraging reports on crop conditions. Cash prices for corn are down 25 percent and for soybeans 14 percent from their record highs just last month.

Even with the damage and delays in planting caused by the floods, this year's corn crop is on track to be the second largest on record with an anticipated harvest of almost 79 million acres. The strength of the commitment America's farmers have made to meeting the nation's need for corn for food, feed and fuel has reassured the markets that there will be an adequate supply available this year.
    The price of E85 dropped $0.04/gallon since yesterday. How much do you want to bet Kellogg's isn't lowering the price of your corn flakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Corn down 25% on news that 2008 crop will be 2nd largest on record; E85 drops 4 c

This corn crop news has been making the rounds in the midwest now for a couple weeks..........
    35 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree Worked in 4 different assembly plants and a Delphi battery plant
    2016 Buick Encore
    1968 Camaro Coupe 327 250HP Turbo 350 (Restoring)
    21 yr. Retired Volunteer Firefighter

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Re: Corn down 25% on news that 2008 crop will be 2nd largest on record; E85 drops 4 c

I thought those floods were sending it up?
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Good for them, now kill ALL farm subsidies.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

I noticed Kroger, our main retailer of E85 down here, has lowered the price to $.50 less per gallon than regular gas. Combine that with the $.25/gal. off my mother gets (employee discount, I can use it ) and I'm thinking about an '09 HHR instead of a G3, Aveo or Fit that I would run on Shell 87AKI E10.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesky View Post
    Good for them, now kill ALL farm subsidies.
    Yeah, because farmers are way too rich...

I suppose we should be importing all of our corn, soybeans, etc., if the farmers can't compete.

D C
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Bout tme. The prices have been artificially inflated recently anyhow.

RSW
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    Yeah, because farmers are way too rich...

I suppose we should be importing all of our corn, soybeans, etc., if the farmers can't compete.
    Yeah, exactly, what we all must clamor for is more energy dependence. Let's send billions to the Mideast rather than have our own farmers be able to make enough to just barely not go out of business.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 756 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post
    Yeah, exactly, what we all must clamor for is more energy dependence. Let's send billions to the Mideast rather than have our own farmers be able to make enough to just barely not go out of business.
    I would much rather see some rich farmers throwing money around in Iowa, than to see some rich sheiks getting that same money.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x

Looks like that bubble popped....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,336 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Maybe he's referring to all the people paid not to farm their land?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks

Now all we need is to start drilling so we can kill that dependence on multiple fronts.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CBECK View Post
    A$$$ HOLE. YUP, I SAID IT IN PLAIN BLACK AND WHITE.
    let them get rich, i says. Anytime money stays in america, mexico, canada, and the americas it benefits us one way or another. Farmers will just turn around and use the money they make to feed u one way or another. keep the cycling of dollars here in the americas

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Farm Subsidies are killing the US. Why do we use corn syrup in Soda? Farm Subsidies. Why is a lot of candy made in Canada? Farm Subsidies Why is sugar too expensive to use as a feedstock for Ethanol? Farm Subsidies Why are people paid to let land go un-used? Farm Subsidies

That being said. Minimum Wage laws hurt farmers as well as keeping out immigrant workers willing to work for low wages. So in some ways I suppose Farm subsidies are a warped way of helping Farmers for piss poor policy in other areas. Just seems like you could do better and save inflation and tax payer dollars by eliminating both.
    Last edited by steined; 07-31-2008 at 10:01 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,336 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    let them get rich, i says. Anytime money stays in america, mexico, canada, and the americas it benefits us one way or another. Farmers will just turn around and use the money they make to feed u one way or another. keep the cycling of dollars here in the americas
    I think the main point is that we are being taxed to subsidize something that doesn't need to be subsidized. If we aren't taxed for this purpose, then our money stays in our pockets, which are mostly located in America. If you don't mind being taxed as long as your money stays in America, then please send all your extra cash to me and I will use it to buy an American made Suburban or Tahoe some time next year. Thanks in advance.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information