Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric Cars - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric Cars

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Re: Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric C

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea. You could have a pure EV as a daily driver and rent one of these from Avis for $30/day for a longer trip. That way you wouldn't have to spend thousands on an on-board range-extender that adds 600lb to the car.
    Exactly...

Imagine if Nissan buys a load of these and stocks a few at each of their Leaf-selling dealerships for FREE loaning to Leaf owners going on roadtrips.

You could reserve it in advance if you wanted to make sure you'd have one available, or simply wake up one morning, verify by phone if the local Nissan dealer still has trailers that day, and leave immediately with your gear packed in your Leaf for a little detour to pick up that trailer and you're on your way.

(I assume you can safely charge while driving, otherwise yes it's pretty useless.)

That way you save $8,000 ($11,000 in California) and get 100 electric miles instead of 40. The downside is that you have to start every >100 mile roadtrip with a detour by the local Nissan dealer. Probably worth it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,365 Times in 4,484 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric C

So what are the drive wheels on this trailer, exactly?
    RWD or FWD?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerjc View Post
    Are the Tesla and Leaf even rated to tow a trailer?
    i don't think that matters on an EV because their is no transmission or any part of an engine to wear from over load. Plus instant torque.

Also this will not weigh a lot. Probably no more than 2 or 3 people or else it wouldn't be efficient.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    So what are the drive wheels on this trailer, exactly?
    RWD or FWD?
    AWD quadrapositraction, with a flux capacitor to boot. Haha.

Am I misunderstanding the question? How can something with only 2 tires parallel to each other be either?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

$15,000? 1220 pounds? Towing this thing would probably void the warranty on most electric cars (if it could tow it). I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those attached to my car.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

So, 35k Leaf + 15k trailer is a better idea then getting a 41k Volt?
    Fantastic.

I agree. Leaf + Trailer = Volt
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I don't get how this extends the range. How does adding a trailer that drives itself have any influence on the car itself? Shouldn't it end up going exactly as far as it would without the trailer? Unless the trailer pushes the car, this doesn't make sense to me.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Chevrolet should take this picture and write:

Leaf + Trailer = Volt

Chevrolet should definitely buy the first one available.

Maybe have 'Joe Isuzu' do the Leaf + trailer presentation part.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post

Fantastic.

Plus all the rest - insurance, diesel fuel aging, parking x 3 etc etc

That trailer cost covers about 75 - 85% of the Volt lease cost - depending where you're located.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The trailer doesn't recharge the car's battery. Its wheels are powered and it pushes the car to help extend range by taking some of load off of the car's motor.

What about an LS6 engined trailer for use with the Aveo so drivers can increase their power when they need too?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The generators puts out 25 kw, that works out to just a bit more than 33 HP. Considering that the trailer has a 28 HP electric motor it sounds as if most of the power goes to pushing the trailer. I wouldn't think much power would be left over to power the towing vehicle. Even if all of the power went to the towing vehicle 33 HP worth of electricity is not enough to adequately power a vehicle like the Leaf. I guess the concept is to somehow recharge the batteries while still driving on battery power, or perhaps when parked. The 35 KW generator could recharge a Leaf battery in a little over an hour.

I don't know, it doesn't sound worth it to me, and at 15 grand, I think you are better off with a Volt.

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 953 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    So first I have to buy an overpriced EV then buy this $15K generator? FAIL, FAIL, and FAIL.
    +1

Just buy a clean diesel in the first place then, and stick $10k in your pocket!!!

Oh yeah, or just buy the VOLT. Tarded.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea. You could have a pure EV as a daily driver and rent one of these from Avis for $30/day for a longer trip. That way you wouldn't have to spend thousands on an on-board range-extender that adds 600lb to the car.
    If you are going to do that, why not just rent a whole gas-powered car at $30/day for those occasional long trips?

IMO, the real problem with pure electrics isn't the occasional pre-planned long trip. The problem is the unexpected, unplanned emergency trip. Or the night out where you come back a bit too late/sleepy/drunk and forget to plug in the car. Or the trip to the mall on the way back from work only to find the item you wanted isn't available there but is available at another mall that may just be beyond the range of your remaining charge.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by lkimura View Post
    The generators puts out 25 kw, that works out to just a bit more than 33 HP. Considering that the trailer has a 28 HP electric motor it sounds as if most of the power goes to pushing the trailer. I wouldn't think much power would be left over to power the towing vehicle. Even if all of the power went to the towing vehicle 33 HP worth of electricity is not enough to adequately power a vehicle like the Leaf. I guess the concept is to somehow recharge the batteries while still driving on battery power, or perhaps when parked. The 35 KW generator could recharge a Leaf battery in a little over an hour.

I don't know, it doesn't sound worth it to me, and at 15 grand, I think you are better off with a Volt.
    When parked?

You expect people to drive 100 miles, wait parked for over an hour, drive another 100 miles, wait parked for over an hour, etc.?

This is DOA and completely useless if that 25 kW isn't usable to charge the car/keep it charged while you're driving it.

Banned
    Thanks

This is the most useless thing, I cannot even begin on describing the level of fail. Except to say a few of us guys in jest were suggesting this.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Fantastic.

Actually, $33k Leaf + free trailer loan when needed might be a better idea than getting a $41k Volt, yes.

(If you're going to buy it at $15k, then I agree, you're just completely crazy. Buy a Volt.)

Of course, it depends on how well that trailer works, and also on Nissan's will to do it. They did say something about wanting to loan ICE-powered cars to Leaf owners for their roadtrips, so I guess they might go for this if it works well.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information