Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric Cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric Cars

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric Cars

Plugin Cars
    November 1, 2010
    by Nick Chambers

Here's an idea that's just been waiting to find an investor and reach the mass-market. Indiana-based start-up, Electric Motors and Vehicle Company (EMAV), announced today that they will begin selling a towable, diesel-powered, range-extending trailer for electric cars starting late next year. Although there are numerous examples of homebaked contraptions that do the same thing, I believe EMAV is the first one to try and commercialize the concept.

EMAVs diesel-powered, towable range extender for electric vehicles is due to go on sale at some point late next year.

Officially called the Power Regeneration Unit (PRU), EMAV says their device is meant to extend the range of an EV by up to ten times on one tank of diesel while also providing extra cargo space for those long road trips.

"For electric cars to be truly viable for a mass consumer audience, we need to bridge the gap between low-range electric vehicles that can travel moderate distances to electric vehicles which can truly become the sole family vehicle," said Wil Cashen, founder and President, EMAV. "JD Power says that sales of electric vehicles will hit only two million in 2020–that is slow adoption, much due to the current range of these vehicles. Our goal is to move the marketplace beyond the first generation of electric vehicles to more powerful and rugged cars that also have endurance. This will evolve the electric car paradigm from a supplemental to a primary car for consumers."

The PRU is self-powered with an on-board 28 HP electric motor that uses sensors to match the speed of the towing vehicle. According to the company, this feature increases the efficiency of the whole package by lowering the power demand on the EV's motor. The PRU has a 6.6 gallon diesel tank and carries a set of lithium ion batteries with a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. When cranked up to its full output, the PRU can supply 25 kw of power from its .75 liter, 4-cylinder diesel engine.

EMAV says the 1,220 pound trailer is being designed to work with any electric vehicle and will cost around $15,000.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric C

Sounds like this is like hooking an extra locomotive to another. I figured itd be like a generator to tow behind a Leaf and recharge its battery
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending, Towable Trailer for Electric C

Chevrolet should take this picture and write:

Leaf + Trailer = Volt

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 4,401 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Good idear. Makes up for inherent deficiencies, eh?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Chevrolet should take this picture and write:

Leaf + Trailer = Volt
    ^^^^^^

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,389 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

What if you want to tow a trailer?

Tow a trailer behind the trailer ?

Talk about pointless

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I think it's a brilliant idea. You could have a pure EV as a daily driver and rent one of these from Avis for $30/day for a longer trip. That way you wouldn't have to spend thousands on an on-board range-extender that adds 600lb to the car.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I figured itd be like a generator to tow behind a Leaf and recharge its battery
    Me too, THAT would be cool, this is just kinda goofy.

What do you wanna bet that your typical mini or subcomact driver has never driven with a trailer. The advantage of having a small car that's easy to park in cities is kind of negated by sticking on a trailer!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Huh? It is a generator to tow behind an EV and recharge its battery.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

I'm surprised that Generac didn't offer this first.....

Ken

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

So first I have to buy an overpriced EV then buy this $15K generator? FAIL, FAIL, and FAIL.
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea. You could have a pure EV as a daily driver and rent one of these from Avis for $30/day for a longer trip. That way you wouldn't have to spend thousands on an on-board range-extender that adds 600lb to the car.
    I agree. Also, they could add a little cargo capacity to the trailer to augment the car's for needs on long trips.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

So how exactly would this work? Nobody has ever mentioned anything about a pure EV being able to drive while its charging. Would't this have some sort of adverse effect on the batteries in the car? It would always be driving at partial charge instead of going through a drain and charge cycle.

Am I missing something?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    So first I have to buy an overpriced EV then buy this $15K generator? FAIL, FAIL, and FAIL.
    Well complain to Nissan et al. for being so overpriced...

Quote Originally Posted by flatblackstrat View Post
    So how exactly would this work? Nobody has ever mentioned anything about a pure EV being able to drive while its charging. Would't this have some sort of adverse effect on the batteries in the car? It would always be driving at partial charge instead of going through a drain and charge cycle.

Am I missing something?
    Who knows. In theory sounds good, but in the end, you are just better off getting a Volt that can do both.

Thanks

Are the Tesla and Leaf even rated to tow a trailer?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information