Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations

BREAKING: Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations
    All Cars Electric
    January 7th, 2011
    By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Until recently, getting Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) installed in your home required you to go directly to the manufacturers of the equipment, or buy direct from your electric car dealer.

But in a deal announced today at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, Ford and Best Buy announced that they were revolutionising the way electric car owners shopped for their EVSE.

Coinciding with the unveiling of Ford’s 2012 Focus Electric, the Level 2 240-volt Ford-branded home charging station will be capable of providing up to 32-amps of current, providing the Ford Focus Electric with the full 6.6-kilowatts it needs to fully charge in under 4 hours.

Available shortly at 1,200 Best Buys nationwide and through Best Buy’s website, the home charging stations will retail for around $1,499, including installation.

Installation will be handled by Best Buy’s very own Geek Squad, who are no strangers to electric cars. Geek Squad technicians will visit customer’s homes to carry out an electrical audit to ensure the home is capable of providing the necessary power to the EVSE.

If suitable, they will then schedule an electrician to visit the customer’s home to install the unit, carrying out all necessary tests and paperwork to make the unit legal.

But the unit won’t be hard-wired into consumers’ homes. Instead, it will plug into a 240-volt outlet, allowing the owner to upgrade or move the unit if they need to.

Not only does this move lower the installation costs, but it makes it easier for those who rent a home to own an electric car without unnecessary modifications to their home.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: BREAKING: Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations

The last thing anyone needs is Crap Squad coming out to your home to inspect your electrical. And, hopefully, they would be calling a certified electrician to do the installation.
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Considering that typical dealer parts managers can't sleep at night unless they get their 60% parts margin on top of full retail, it's probably the only way Ford could sell the charging stations to customers without them costing more than the electric car itself!
    Last edited by njtex; 01-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    BREAKING: Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations
    All Cars Electric
    January 7th, 2011
    By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Until recently, getting Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) installed in your home required you to go directly to the manufacturers of the equipment, or buy direct from your electric car dealer.

But in a deal announced today at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, Ford and Best Buy announced that they were revolutionising the way electric car owners shopped for their EVSE.

Coinciding with the unveiling of Ford’s 2012 Focus Electric, the Level 2 240-volt Ford-branded home charging station will be capable of providing up to 32-amps of current, providing the Ford Focus Electric with the full 6.6-kilowatts it needs to fully charge in under 4 hours.

Available shortly at 1,200 Best Buys nationwide and through Best Buy’s website, the home charging stations will retail for around $1,499, including installation.

Installation will be handled by Best Buy’s very own Geek Squad, who are no strangers to electric cars. Geek Squad technicians will visit customer’s homes to carry out an electrical audit to ensure the home is capable of providing the necessary power to the EVSE.

If suitable, they will then schedule an electrician to visit the customer’s home to install the unit, carrying out all necessary tests and paperwork to make the unit legal.

But the unit won’t be hard-wired into consumers’ homes. Instead, it will plug into a 240-volt outlet, allowing the owner to upgrade or move the unit if they need to.

Not only does this move lower the installation costs, but it makes it easier for those who rent a home to own an electric car without unnecessary modifications to their home.

Full article at link.
    This press release seems to contradict itself. On one hand it says you need an electrician to install the unit and do the paperwork, which I take to mean a permit has to be pulled. On the other hand it says you can move to another location and plug it in without unnecessary modifications. How can that be?

I don't understand why they don't sell it with an ordinary 240 vac 40 amp plug, the same plug as the electric dryers. Then all you have to do is plug the charger into the dryer outlet. This works well if you don't have an electric dryer and the outlet is in your garage. Why are they making this so complicated?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Good luck, lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkimura View Post
    This press release seems to contradict itself. On one hand it says you need an electrician to install the unit and do the paperwork, which I take to mean a permit has to be pulled. On the other hand it says you can move to another location and plug it in without unnecessary modifications. How can that be?

I don't understand why they don't sell it with an ordinary 240 vac 40 amp plug, the same plug as the electric dryers. Then all you have to do is plug the charger into the dryer outlet. This works well if you don't have an electric dryer and the outlet is in your garage. Why are they making this so complicated?
    Because Best Buy/Geek Squad want to make the bulk of the profit while hiring local electricians to install the 240 circuit at little profit, much like carpet or water heater installers contracted through Home Depot/ Lowe's etc.
    16 Garnet Red 1LT RS Camaro 6SPD
    14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST) Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Hunid Racks's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it any wonder that people buy Monster Cables for their HDMI capable TVs at Best Buy?

(btw, go to MonoPrice, HDMI is digital)

Thanks

Priced at $1,500 it may be hard for this to catch on.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Pinnacle's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drew630 View Post
    The last thing anyone needs is Crap Squad coming out to your home to inspect your electrical. And, hopefully, they would be calling a certified electrician to do the installation.
    Have to agree, not many have A+ Certs.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5ondi View Post
    How so? It's about the same price as a Volt charger and $500 less than a leaf charger.

I'm assuming it will have a Ford specific plug? Otherwise, if I had that lame leaf charger, I would ditch it for this one (although it is probably the batteries and not the charger that makes the difference in charging times).

My first thought was to give the business to Quick Lane but I'm sure there is some product awareness and advertising by letting best buy do the installs.
    Last edited by EcoBustier69; 01-08-2011 at 03:51 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EcoBustier69 View Post
    I'm assuming it will have a Ford specific plug? Otherwise, if I had that lame leaf charger, I would ditch it for this one (although it is probably the batteries and not the charger that makes the difference in charging times).

My first thought was to give the business to Quick Lane but I'm sure there is some product awareness and advertising by letting best buy do the installs.
    Electric cars are being designed to use a common charge interface (SAE 1772). By using a common standard all electric cars will be compatible with public charging stations. Here's more on this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Currently most manufactures require that the charger be installed professionally with permits to insure compliance with local building codes. However, I don't see any reason why anyone couldn't just build the charger to the SAE 1772 standard, get it UL approved and sell it for a lot less.

Thanks

It should be noted that a permit is not necessary or required in many locations. However the dedicated circuit should still be professionally installed. A drier outlet is a viable alternative if it happens to be in or near your garage or driveway and not in use.
    16 Garnet Red 1LT RS Camaro 6SPD
    14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST) Hidden Content

1G6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member 1G6's Avatar
    Thanks

Baby steps, baby steps.
    2008 Buick Lucerne CXL - Hidden Content
    1994 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency - Hidden Content
    1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

And for only $50 extra you get an extra two-year warranty ...

Thanks

Question Re: BREAKING: Coming Soon at Best Buy: Electric Car Home Charging Stations

Quote Originally Posted by 5ondi View Post
    This is another attempt at the 'Pea and the shell game' When I last had my car serviced, and I was waiting in the showroom, a number of salesmen came up and asked if they could help me? I said yes, "Can you tell me how much it costs to operate the Chevy Volt ?" at which pint everyone had to do something else and very soon I was left all alone on the showroom floor without an clear cut answer. But one of the salespersons said it would cost about as much as charging a Toshiba laptop computer battery. Personally I find it really hard to imagine a 700 pound or whatever the volts under-body battery weights, battery up to operating capacity as a 0.5 pound laptop battery. And again if you live in a rowhouse or brownstone with no garage, how do you charge the battery? I just cannot see someone not tripping over and filing a lawsuit against you or stealing you extension cord and electricity.

And here in S.E.Pennsylvania, as of the first of 2011, all electricity has been de-regulated and the current power company has already told the public the the rates for electricity in going up 15% and the Chevy Volts little gasoline engine runs on Premium fuel @ 3.69.9 current price. So this takes me back about 7 years I believe I saw the GM electric power vehicle what way back then was projected price of $23K dollars. But since around here and in Philadelphia, a city of almost all row-homes or large brownstones homes, that don't have a garage I have to wonder exactly how much does it cost to run this vehicle for a year? And now the Chevy 'Cruze' is out and it's projected at 40 MPG so where are we saving any money with the volt ?

And I'm pretty sure the 220 volt outlet that plugs into the 'Volt' will different than the Nissan 'leaf' and that outlet will be different than the Ford electric vehicle so none of them are computable with each other, causing you to have to purchase a new charging station if you decide to switch vehicles. So I wondering if these vehicles are nothing more than a $41K political statement?And what happens when the battery wears out? I find it odd that the Chevy Volt comes with a 5 year or 100.000 mile warranty the exactly the same as a 60 month car loan? but beyond that, who's going to resell these vehicles ? How many are going to show up on Used Car lots ? And what is it going to cost to install a new battery? I don't think there any used car dealers who'll want to take a chance on selling a Chevy Volt or any or these vehicles?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information