Classic Chevy/Hummer of Grapevine, Texas, installs E85, biodiesel pumps - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic Chevy/Hummer of Grapevine, Texas, installs E85, biodiesel pumps

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Classic Chevy/Hummer of Grapevine, Texas, installs E85, biodiesel pumps

Quote Originally Posted by johnny smallblock View Post
    Right, because today the oil companies aren't playing with the price at your expense.
    That was the point. If we go to electric cars GM and Shell loose money.

Of course if I get a car wash all of a sudden gas is 30 cents cheaper...hmm...that's not a ploy . Anyone thinking that these companies play fair are blind.

Though I don't think the government should try to do anything to them. Its a slippery slope.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny smallblock View Post
    Can a flex fuel engine be made that can change compression ratios? In other words, can it run on E-85 or E-100 at a higher compression for better mileage, then in cold weather reduce compression and be run on E-85 or gasoline?
    somebody please answer this! good question. would be awesome if its possible.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by chakis24 View Post
    somebody please answer this! good question. would be awesome if its possible.

Hmmm, good question. Knowing that the 2L Turbo can get better mileage and power than a 2.2L or 2.4L N/A I think that would be a good starting point.

Also knowing that a e85 conversion kit could be bought and installed for about $350 for the I-4.

But, does mileage actually increase with increased compression on E85?

I am serious with this question as I cannot find a direct answer to this online. Please help.

But, as far as the variable compression thing goes, I know Saab was working on something like this a few years ago. The engine would rock the top half of it's self back and forth. This would shorten and increase the distance from the center of crank shaft to the top of the combustion chamber, thus resulting in higher and lower compression depending on the type of fuel you use.

Another idea would be to put a clutch on a supercharger with a intake by pass. Or a turbocharger with an exhaust and intake by pass for when it is not in use. Just ideas though.

If higher compression does increase the efficiency of ethanol then I would get me a 2L Turbo from GM, stick it in my wifes Ion and convert it to run on ethanol. Power, mileage and none of the hassle from the environazis.

I would also twin turbo my Suburban and convert it to ethanol. Well, maybe I'll do just one turbo from STS.

But, turbo or not I am going to convert both of my vehicles to ethanol when I get back to Colorado. I'm waiting till then because both vehicles are going into storage for 6 months while I work a contract in Hawaii.

I'm hoping that turbo charging the vehicles will give me better mileage AND power than the non turbo variant; like the Solstice 2.4L vs. the Solstice 2L turbo. If this is the case I will be a happy camper.
    Last edited by hrcslam; 04-06-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Compression ratio is a different thing, is what I believe he is talking about.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cemaxc View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Paradise is near those rock quarries which can get really dangerous (its been a while since I drove because its now much cheaper to fly). Man I hate it when those trucks come out of those places with out even looking. I was so pi$$ed at one that I passed in the center turn lane. I don't need the lecture about how dangerous that is but when you've been on the road for the last 4 hours straight, all you want to do is get home, so my patience was thin. Ok, well I'll keep an eye out for ya next time I go blowing through there.
    Yes it is. I've replaced a few windshields now, thanks to those idiots flying around with untarped loads, and crap falling off of their trucks.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

Thanks

OK we will wave!
    "I can do all things thru Christ, who strengthens me". Phillipians 4: 13

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123