Classic Chevy/Hummer of Grapevine, Texas, installs E85, biodiesel pumps - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Chevy/Hummer of Grapevine, Texas, installs E85, biodiesel pumps

Thanks

Re: Classic Chevy/Hummer of Grapevine, Texas, installs E85, biodiesel pumps

$500,000 dollars to install the pumps and equipment! This dealer is going out on a limb for this, I hope it works well for them. Its nice to see a a brand like Hummer that is usually looked at as being very unenviromentally friendly to put a "natural" fuel station in! In reality, it should be good PR for Hummer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 wildgoosechase's Avatar
    Thanks

Once again if the oil companies won't put in E85, you can count on the dealers. This is a vital first step to breaking the "chicken and egg problem" with new fuels.
    OPEC's greatest fear is America's amber waves of grain

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1 View Post
    $500,000 dollars to install the pumps and equipment! This dealer is going out on a limb for this, I hope it works well for them. Its nice to see a a brand like Hummer that is usually looked at as being very unenviromentally friendly to put a "natural" fuel station in! In reality, it should be good Page Ranking for Hummer!

$500,000 is a fraction of the advertising budget for a Large dealer like Classic. Just the free press alone has paid for itself. keep in mind also GM does not deliver cars full of fuel. It's the dealers responsibility to fill them up upon delivery if they save the typical $0.50 per gallon and they deliver 200 E85 capable cars/Trucks/SUV's each month. at 20 gallons per (or $10 a delivery). (If my math is right) and that's without a SINGLE retail customer purchasing fuel.

not to mention the savings they receive on their loaners, service vehicles, demos of not having to pay retail to fill them up. so I'm gonna assume the savings is closer to $1.00 a gallon or $20 per car. so $4000 a month 10.5 years it's paid for itself and the amount of sales generated by the knowledge will help the cause. gamble. not in the least, brilliant more like it.
    Last edited by treekiller; 03-29-2008 at 04:09 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

I drove by the station before it opened. The price on the pump for E85 was $2.71 per gallon. I bought my Aveo from Classic, and often stop to talk to the sales staff there. I headed down to check out the station and test drove the new Tahoe 2 mode Hybrid (made a report in the section of the chevy forum where I could open new threads), as well as inquired on a flex fuel Malibu. Since there is no flex fuel Malibu, I'm considering buying a 2LT Impala so I can get both the flex fuel and the AFM. I need to get a couple of higher priorities squared away first, however. I applaud Classic for doing this. I hope that other dealerhsips (James Wood, are you reading this?) will follow suit.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cemaxc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Corvette/2001/Magnetic Red

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
    I drove by the station before it opened. The price on the pump for E85 was $2.71 per gallon. I bought my Aveo from Classic, and often stop to talk to the sales staff there. I headed down to check out the station and test drove the new Tahoe 2 mode Hybrid (made a report in the section of the chevy forum where I could open new threads), as well as inquired on a flex fuel Malibu. Since there is no flex fuel Malibu, I'm considering buying a 2LT Impala so I can get both the flex fuel and the AFM. I need to get a couple of higher priorities squared away first, however. I applaud Classic for doing this. I hope that other dealerhsips (James Wood, are you reading this?) will follow suit.
    Ah, Paradise Texas. I knew I've heard of that city from somewhere and now that I know where it is, I know why. Thats one of the multitude of cities that I drive through on my treks to college and home on the good ol' 114. If you ever see a bright blue 06 Vue come screaming by, thats me.
    Current Family Rides:
    Mine: 2006 Saturn Vue
    2001 Chevrolet Corvette
    Sisters: 2008 Saab 9-7x
    Moms: 2011 Buick Enclave
    Dads: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1994 Chevrolet Suburban
    1986 Buick LeSabre

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MrJamesMc's Avatar
    Thanks

It's cool to see something in the Metroplex make the front page of GMI.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is a Good Idea. I suggested on this site last year when it was announced that GM would be testing the Hydrogen Equinox, selling fuel at dealerships. In the end if GM decides to produce the fuel cell, it would certainly be a Good Idea for GM itself to invest in the Hydrogen refueling stations. The most logical location for the Hydrogen refueling station would be at or near the Dealerships that sell fuel cell vehicles. If GM really wanted to grab attention and sales they, would help dealerships build Self sustaining Hydrogen refueling stations just like the ones built in Iceland and on Norway's Hydrogen Highway. Using electricity from the grid to produce Hydrogen from electrolysis. From all reports in the Automotive press the hydrogen Fuel Cell Chevy Equinox works very well and has performance equal to the Gasoline Equinox. to me this means the technology is proven and GM only need take the initiative to make it happen. it is my understanding that GM designed thew E-flex system on the Chevy volt to operate with with Gasoline/E85 or Diesel engines and also hydrogen fuel cell. It seem to me that with the Volt coming out in less than 2 years, that now is the time to really start the change over from Gasoline to Hydrogen starting with volt and Eflex.

With respect to the Dealer selling E/85 I think it great. The oil companies refuse to make it available at their stations so selling it at the dealer is great idea. Ultimately Ethanol is not the solution to energy independence it is Hydrogen.

http://www.nordicenergy.net/onenews.cfm?Id=1-63&path=8

Second Nordic hydrogen station Opened
    2007-06-15
    "The future belongs to those who can develop new energy solutions with little impact on the environment”, said the director of Hydro, Eivind Re-iten at the opening of the second Nordic hydrogen station. The opening of the station in Porsgrunn in Norway took place the 12th of June, and witnessed by around 100 interested people.

The Nordic Energy Research project, Scandinavian Hydrogen Highway Partner-ship (SHHP) plays an important role in achieving a hydrogen highway through the Nordic countries. Nordic Energy Research’s advisor, Lise Jørstad also attended the opening.

"The work with the Hydrogen Highway and the hydrogen station here at Porsgrunn demonstrates that it is possible to find solutions that are good for the environment when politicians, the authorities, organizations and industry pull in the same direction", said Reiten. The highway project, being a Nordic project, further exemplifies Reiten’s sentiment.

The opening of the station signals some of the benefits that can be harvested from trans-national and trans-sectoral energy research, development and demonstration.

Thanks

If we could get a Hummer with a D-max..We would be set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redimpss5 View Post
    If we could get a Hummer with a D-max..We would be set.
    The H3 is getting the baby diesel right?
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    As log as they are only the reseller. I don't want my fuel for my car to come from the makers of that car. To many ways they can play with the price.
    Right, because today the oil companies aren't playing with the price at your expense.

Ok, so real question for the entire room. My question is based on the following 2 facts which I believe to be correct (if they're not, please let me know):
    1. E-100 can't be sold in the US because ethanol doesn't ignite easily in cold weather, so much of the US in winter would be unable to start their cars.
    2. When run in high compression engines, ethanol gets markedly better mpg.

Can a flex fuel engine be made that can change compression ratios? In other words, can it run on E-85 or E-100 at a higher compression for better mileage, then in cold weather reduce compression and be run on E-85 or gasoline?
    Current Hidden Content
    2013 Chevy Spark
    2010 Honda Odyssey
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

R.I.P. Hidden Content
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid (given to my brother)
    1999 Honda Elite (stolen)
    1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1996 Honda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    1995 Honda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rsbaker View Post
    Ultimately Ethanol is not the solution to energy independence it is Hydrogen.
    I just read a article the other day, and people are now complaining that the exhaust vapor from hydrogen engines will also add to global warming!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1 View Post
    I just read a article the other day, and people are now complaining that the exhaust vapor from hydrogen engines will also add to global warming!
    We should all stop breathing.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
    We should all stop breathing.
    Haha, ya that really does seem like the most logical solution... Actually everyone that isn't an automotive enthusiast should stop breathing so we can reclaim the roads and have plenty of gas for us.
    Current Family Rides:
    2001 Chevrolet Corvette
    1994 Chevrolet Suburban
    1986 Buick LeSabre

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cemaxc View Post
    Ah, Paradise Texas. I knew I've heard of that city from somewhere and now that I know where it is, I know why. Thats one of the multitude of cities that I drive through on my treks to college and home on the good ol' 114. If you ever see a bright blue 06 Vue come screaming by, thats me.
    Well, if you see one of the vehicles listed in my sig ambling along at 55 mph, you blew by me. Not to worry though, I often ease off to the hard shoulder to let faster traffic by.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
    Well, if you see one of the vehicles listed in my sig ambling along at 55 mph, you blew by me. Not to worry though, I often ease off to the hard shoulder to let faster traffic by.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Paradise is near those rock quarries which can get really dangerous (its been a while since I drove because its now much cheaper to fly). Man I hate it when those trucks come out of those places with out even looking. I was so pi$$ed at one that I passed in the center turn lane. I don't need the lecture about how dangerous that is but when you've been on the road for the last 4 hours straight, all you want to do is get home, so my patience was thin. Ok, well I'll keep an eye out for ya next time I go blowing through there.
    Current Family Rides:
    2001 Chevrolet Corvette
    1994 Chevrolet Suburban
    1986 Buick LeSabre

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast